Counterfeit 1793 Goof Off test/2021 W 1/4 oz Unpolished dies
1 1

71 posts in this topic

Hey all good morning/day :)

Right to the point, None of this proves that this coin is real, though it does raise one question :)
Can your fake coin do this?

So lol, I found it amusing that I'd be using a product named Goof Off, then again totally par for the course.

Crystal clear glass bowl + 
Crystal clear Goof Off +  
The "fake" "1793 SP Flowing Hair Wreath Cent Plain Crumbled Edge"

Within a few seconds the crystal clear Goof Off was black,,,, of course I thought instantly now I've done it, pulled it out and instantly noticed the face was different in hand and all is perfect :) Ka-Chow woot woot

Thanks all :) Truth be told without you all none of my advanced knowledge in the numismatic world wouldn't even exist.

I also wanna apologize to all I might've offended with my nonsense or if I stepped on any toes.

Also note that you all are the numismatic pros of the industry and I'm just a collector.

Note: Goof Off will remove all dirt and other foreign matter, thus resulting in uncovering damage or other blemishes that might be covered, thoroughly inspect the coin before dipping it to see if there's damage underneath stuff in order to make a decision before dipping.

Added 2021 W coin struck with unpolished dies for comparisons to the finish on the 1793.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/regular-strike-quarter-ounce-2021-american-eagles-with-w-mint-marks?spMailingID=70801913&spUserID=NDgwOTU3MTc0MzI0S0&spJobID=2222679387&spReportId=MjIyMjY3OTM4NwS2

Thanks all

Screenshot_20211028-141753253 (1).jpg

P_20210701_205019_3.thumb.jpg.c15b67d9d83d1b622824bb5f2e190de3.jpg

P_20210701_204953_1.thumb.jpg.6d8b5f31d15d8a12150e9117efbebe58.jpg

Edited by SlickCoins

While it appears to have lightened the coin, don’t know because we can’t see the before pictures, I would caution readers that the chemical used on this coin is dangerous, high flammable and may have long term coin destruction effects. I would not use anything but 100% pure acetone (also flammable and dangerous).

IMO, I wouldn’t use this on coins. 

42B046F0-A3A0-417B-B491-DE351E77E798.jpeg

They said to use the Goof-Off to get sticker residue off of a slab.  They did not say to use it on an actual coin itself.  I'm just glad you destroyed a fake coin with your little Goof-Off adventure and not a real one.  

I read it somewhere on their or a site and they said it totally evaporates no need for blotting and it's safe on copper coins.

Also I know for a fact goof off is safe on all copper.

You're right that link is a dud 🤣 my bad.

Yep it is my coin, accused of being fake before LMAO so nothing changed.... Or did it, I'll find the link

Thanks

Yes they did mention leaving it to evaporate could leave the smallest of residue, so I did blot the coin no rubbing or anything, press paper towel on both sides and done.

Yes Goof Off is an industrial strength stripper, painters use it on copper flashing when we get paint on it, hence how I know it's safe, not for us thou,,, the fumes the prop 66 warning.

I'm reading mixed stories,

The one on pcgs the person complained the coin wasn't gonna make MS anymore, they also mentioned it doesn't fix damage, hence my warning at the bottom.

Also I read that if the dipping was done right, nobody can tell.

Anyways thanks all

Hope all a good day :)

On 10/24/2021 at 11:24 AM, SlickCoins said:

Yes they did mention leaving it to evaporate could leave the smallest of residue, so I did blot the coin no rubbing or anything, press paper towel on both sides and done.

Yes Goof Off is an industrial strength stripper, painters use it on copper flashing when we get paint on it, hence how I know it's safe, not for us thou,,, the fumes the prop 66 warning.

I'm reading mixed stories,

The one on pcgs the person complained the coin wasn't gonna make MS anymore, they also mentioned it doesn't fix damage, hence my warning at the bottom.

Also I read that if the dipping was done right, nobody can tell.

Anyways thanks all

Hope all a good day :)

You said:

Also I read that if the dipping was done right, nobody can tell

That's correct.  The hard part is doing it right.  It takes a lot of knowledge and practice.  You need to understand the chemistry of what you want to remove, the chemistry of the dip, affects on luster, dip time, dip dilution, neutralization of the dip, which coins are good candidates and which are not, and a whole lot of other things.  A good chemistry and metallurgy background is also helpful.  

Neurosurgery works well if done right.  That doesn't mean anybody can do it.

I don't know what kind of research they had done, I know they said they really like it for how it removes gunk the best from tight spaces..... They said something like it was organic remover.

Of course I'm trying to replicate their conversation.

:) Thanks

On 10/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Wow

Yep.  Just wow.  He's returned and somehow managed to outdo himself with the exact same fake coin as last time.  This is a serious trolling landmark, I must say.  I've never seen a troll return to us and advocate using Goof-Off on coins.  This is truly a watershed moment.  Where's Morpheus?  I think he needs to format a certificate for this like he did for azizz......

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/24/2021 at 5:25 PM, Mohawk said:

Yep.  Just wow.  He's returned and somehow managed to outdo himself with the exact same fake coin as last time.  This is a serious trolling landmark, I must say.  I've never seen a troll return to us and advocate using Goof-Off on coins.  This is truly a watershed moment.  Where's Morpheus?  I think he needs to format a certificate for this like he did for azizz......

…unless it can be used to keep goofs off the coins.

On 10/24/2021 at 1:15 PM, JKK said:

"Better not tell yer granny, boy. She's powerful again young'uns gettin' in her corn squeezins."

JKK..... you almost had it perfect (I'm still LMAO here....) Your entire post was EXCELLENT. Being from the Deep South, I can totally relate to, and understand, all of the 'slang' verbiage in your hilarious quote.  However, that does not make us deep southerners less competent.  If so, then we/I wouldn't have caught your misspelling.  You misspelled "AGAIN"..... With all due respect, it should have been spelled  "AGIN"....... jus sayin....xD

EDIT: I almost said something (actually I did but I erased it) I would have regretted later.......... good night (unless someone posts something relevant other than a spot or line on the reverse of a Quarter...... :)

Edited by GBrad

Good morning all/day, 
So after more brainstorming I also remember more of that one post.

They mentioned using cotton balls,, instantly I was thinking where am I agin lol.... This is where they lost me cause the cotton ball is big, which in turn means blotting the whole coin again for one little spot, I think not.

The q tip is the best,,,,,,, wait wait wait what, yes in my opinion<<<<Note you need super steady hands, I mean you take the q tip dip it into the bowl and the ever so gently roll it back and forth>>>>>>> super gentle or we will know and it's game over.

Some spots will not budge and you'll know right away.

Also this coin is special and I'm all about honesty therefore I disclose everything in detail,,, it's a catch 22 thou in the end your integrity is still intact.

Way too much right 🤪 :)
Thanks all, have a great day

Thanks Condor, you rock :)

Yeah I know this doesn't change anything, just sure is easier too see that's for sure.

All I can say is WOW,,,, I'm just as surprised as everyone else here on about the results, 100x's better coin when it's in hand, in my opinion.

Yeah too bad I hadn't known everything 1yr ago when I brought it to a coin shop,,,, priceless the guy acted like we was gonna get stormed by secret service, I mean he checked the door, which was a buzzer lock door,,, looked at the clock and body language was off the charts, lol looking back at it I'm surprised he even looked at my 1834 Half Dime.

This has been one heck of a journey,,,, but all things must come to an end, I mean there's not much left of my questions and there's nothing else to present.

I'm just glad everybody got to see the transformation :)

This is where the buck stops for now, on what I think is the 1793 SP Flowing Hair Wreath Cent Plain Edge.

Thanks all :)

On 10/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I believe you made a typo.  Don't you mean "...on what I thought was    the 1793 SP Flowing Hair Wreath Cent Plain Edge.

Please stop this nonsense.  It's a fake.  Any future post about this coin that doesn't start with, "I sent this in to be authenticated" is nothing more than trolling

Don't even give him that loophole, Hoopster.  He may come back with the damned thing in a fake slab.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/25/2021 at 4:54 PM, Conder101 said:

The main ingredients are acetone and xylene, both of which are harmless to the metal.

Our hero never told us which product was used.  The pic of Goof Off Pro Strength was posted by a different member.  I didn't look at all the SDS, but some have a lot more Than acetone and xylene.  I only know enough organic chemistry to make myself dangerous and don't know if these other chemicals will harm the surface or if the are inert.

For other members that may not know.  The Safety Data Sheet (SDS) is a good way to find the chemical components in a  product.  It doesn't give you the recipe, but you can tell which are major components and which are minor.  It also gives detailed info for safe usage, handling and storage.  

SDS

Download the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for Goof Off products here.

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 10/25/2021 at 9:42 PM, Oldhoopster said:

If our hero gets it into fake slab, that will truly raise him to "King of the Trolls" status (worship) :acclaim:

Indeed it will!! He'll truly be our hero then, and the hero of John Waynee, 107-year-old Hector, Ratzie33 (though he and Ratzie may be one and the same....there are similarities) and Researchcoins.  If he does get it into a fake slab, the ANA award that had Zerbe's name stripped from it should be renamed for him.