• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2013-S Proof Mount Rushmore Quarter(PMD)
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I have a really cool one here. I feel I'm right when I say (PMD) on this coin. The line going from designer's initials to the chin of portrait is incuse. making me think it took a hit which happened with a unknown object before it was put in the case. I've been working on this and at first thought maybe die crack or doubling untilI was really studying it. I love learning,  I'm crossing my fingers that I'm right on this one.:wishluck: Thanks 

20211021_121024.jpg

20211021_120519.jpg

20211021_121138.jpg

On 10/22/2021 at 8:20 PM, Modwriter said:

That is a beautiful Mt. Rushmore quarter. Where is the hit? I see a tiny spot on Jefferson's nose at that magnification. The one I have has a very similar spot.

2013 D MT Rushmore NP reverse.jpg

2013 D 25c MT Rushmore NP obverse.jpg

Hi, Modwriter the hit is a line going from the JFM initials up to the chin of the portrait under the walking plank. I think that spot on the nose is normal. All the one's I'm looking at has that. Hmmm

On 10/22/2021 at 8:26 PM, Hinkle said:

Hi, Modwriter the hit is a line going from the JFM initials up to the chin of the portrait under the walking plank. I think that spot on the nose is normal. All the one's I'm looking at has that. Hmmm

Thanks. I see the line now. Hopefully another knowledgeable member will comment. I am now thinking that line was perhaps tooled into the die. Yes, hmmm on the nose. lol. I found mine in pocket change.

FWIW, my normal proof Mt. Rushmore quarter does not have that line; neither does my silver proof Mt. Rushmore quarter.  Nor does either my P or D regular-strike versions.

OTOH, that line looks very much like the other lines in the rock.

Edited by 124Spider

@Hinkle I am going to give my opinion here as to what that incuse line on your coin may be.  First of all, being a proof die, I don't believe the mint would ever re-tool or even polish a proof die or else it would not exhibit a DCAM appearance as polishing would induce noticeable scratches even if extremely minuscule.  You say the small line is incuse. The relief on the rock lines are raised so I don't believe this would be consistent with another rock line as @124Spider commented, no offense Spider. Back to incuse.... my best plausible explanation is that 1) This is either a very small hit from another coin or object, or 2) It could possibly be a small strike through of sorts from some tiny foreign object.  Without seeing very clear and precise close-up photos of this area, these are my two most plausible explanations.  Just MHO here.  

Could be a strike through, but most likely PMD. Looks like a small incuse circle at the top of the line near the chin and on the post, is that true or am I seeing things or is it part of the design?

On 10/23/2021 at 4:52 PM, VKurtB said:

I am utterly flabbergasted that anyone looks this closely at common coins.

I am afraid, judging by the amount of posters here at Sleepy Hollow, that you haven't seen the last of this.

Now where did I put my eyeball jamming needles?

I think you probably used them all up in the past here on the forum.  

I am utterly flabbergasted that anyone looks this closely at common coins. Now where did I put my eyeball jamming needles?

I am rolling on the floor LMAO, Almost every picture on this site is a close up of a coin. I love it LoL 

On 10/24/2021 at 3:36 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I am rolling on the floor LMAO, Almost every picture on this site is a close up of a coin. I love it LoL 

Yes, what happened to a coins in-hand great eye appeal description? I use that in almost all of my coin sale descriptions. I found this description recently and use use it once in awhile. "Scattered marks are present, but they are inconsequential."