• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan 1882 o/s legit or cleaned?

17 posts in this topic

Hello, this is my first post so please forgive me if this is an inappropriate question… 

I have a 1882 o/s I’d like to send in for grading… it is currently in a slab from another company. 

The coin looks very good to my amateur eyeballs but I’d like the opinion of the masses before I spend time and money sending it in for grading if people feel it has obvious flaws that I am not privy to. 

so I guess my question is… am I allowed to post pics of this coin and ask for feedback from fellow collectors? 

many thanks, 

JD 

Hello and Welcome Deiter!!

You can definitely post pics and see what the community thinks.  Make sure that they're good, crisp, detailed head on shots of both the obverse and reverse so that we can get the best idea about your coin as we can.  

On 10/22/2021 at 1:14 AM, Deiter said:

I’d like to send in for grading… it is currently in a slab from another company. 

Let's see a pic.  JKK and Mohawk will help you make this decision.

Hey guys! I’ve never been a part of a forum either thanks for the responses!! Going to get the coin out now and take some pics for ya’ll. Give me 10 mins and I’ll have them posted. Many thanks ! 

And here is the coin in the slab with the questionable from the auction…

these pics are not capturing what looks most questionable to me, especially in the fields of the reverse. Let me keep trying to get the right pic. 

3E2C69BA-5B74-4D14-930B-DB96FED9F84D.png

C53D27C4-006E-43FD-8687-52BF4BCC8982.png

If you 'Dip' it you will lose all that toning.  National Numismatic Certification isn't all that reliable.  MS64+ would cross (NGC or PCGS) as MS 63 or 62.

I have my suspicions about that toning myself.  It could be natural, but I've seen a lot of Morgans that have been cleaned in the past develop toning that looks very much like the OPs coin as a result of the reaction with the cleaning agent.  Admittedly, determining such a thing with certainty is nearly impossible without having the coin in hand, but I do have to say that toning does concern me.  And the NNC slab does nothing to alleviate my concerns.  I've seen a ton of cleaned coins in their slabs and that foam they use as a gasket can cause the exact kind of toning on a cleaned silver coin that the OPs coin exhibits.  So, for me, my vote is the coin has been cleaned and would get a Details grade at NGC.

Edited by Mohawk
Thought about it more and added my thoughts.

Thank you for that Mohawk. I didn’t consider the foam gasket but that makes a lot of sense bc this coin was part of a larger group of NNC slabs that all had almost identical toning. Much appreciated. 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, Deiter said:

Thank you for that Mohawk. I didn’t consider the foam gasket but that makes a lot of sense bc this coin was part of a larger group of NNC slabs that all had almost identical toning. Much appreciated. 

No problem, Deiter.  I really wish I had better news to give you on the coin, but that's what I honestly think based on the photos.  NNC slabs tend to have a lot of problem coins in them......as a general rule, I'd avoid them in the future.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:19 PM, JKK said:

The slab is NNC. It carries no inherent credibility. I would consider the slab's grade a suggestion with regard to an unslabbed coin.

Well said, Jonathan.  That is an excellent explanation of the whole NNC situation.  

@Deiter  If that were my coin I would carefully crack it out of that holder and send it Raw to either NGC or PCGS.  Why I say "crack it out" is:  I believe graders when they see these 'Basement TPGs' have a tendency to grade lower.  Now you've got maybe a $300.00 to $600.00 coin, according to the NGC Price Guide.  I would send it in and if that is Artificial Toning they will tell you.  Your choice and good luck.

I see nothing wrong with the toning per se. It’s one-sided (a good thing) and it has a logical cause - decades in either a blue Whitman folder or a coin board, or even a small soap bar ANACS holder or similar. Those suckers ruined many a coin. 

i agree getting it OUT OF that NNC is a MUST. Better to be raw. 

Edited by VKurtB