• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Susan B. Anthony dollar

10 posts in this topic

In 1979, mint marks were still being punched into the working die by hand. The "S" punch used on these dollar coins was worn down to the point of resembling more of a blob than a letter. This is referred to as the "Type 1" mint mark. A new mint mark punch was made, and used in the latter part of the year. This is called the "Type 2" mint mark. The actual number of each type minted is unknown, but the "Type 2" is the scarcer of the two.

This new punch was used until some time in 1981, when it was replaced by one with a slightly different style "S." So, the 1979 "Type 2" became the 1981 "Type 1," which was replaced by a different "Type 2."

If that is confusing, take a look at the pictures on the page linked below, and they should help make things a bit more clear:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dollars/anthony-dollars-1979-1999/?page=1

On 10/17/2021 at 9:19 AM, Cecelia R. Valverde said:

So I hhave to ask, is my coin a type 1 or 2 ? I also have a D mint 1979 .No picture yet.

Did you use the link that was provided for you?   Use the above link that @Just Bob provided, once there up in the right hand corner you will see a toggle button that says MS PF.   Click the PF and then you will see four photos of the different proof mintmark styles.   I could tell you what you have but I would rather you will learn something about the features and knowledge that this site has to offer once you know where to go.

There are no different mintmarks for the "D" (Denver) mintmarks on the SBA coins.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:20 PM, Cecelia R. Valverde said:

Hi just Bob ,I looked at the pictures and they are of a P mint wide rim,not an s blob.I read the article and I'm thinking mine is a type 1,so confusing.

Thank you for the information.

Cecelia Valverde

Sorry. I copy/pasted the proof page, but the link went to the MS page. As Coinbuf said above, look on the right side of the page, and you will se a slide labelled MS/PF. Click the PF, and you should see 4 pictures. Compare your coin to the pictures, and you will see what you have.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:27 PM, Cecelia R. Valverde said:

Thank you, and pretty sure It's the old type 1.

You got it just right.  And a little tip for the future.....all circulation strike 1979-S SBA's have the Type 1 mint mark.  The Type 2 is only found on some of the proof strikes for 1979.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:19 AM, Cecelia R. Valverde said:

So I hhave to ask, is my coin a type 1 or 2 ? I also have a D mint 1979 .No picture yet.

There is no Type 1 or 2 for the business strikes. Only on the proofs.