• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would Anyone Be Interested in Helping Me Attribute Constantinian era coins?

8 posts in this topic

I have around 25 constantinian era coins in my collection and am looking for some help. I currently don't have eric or aorta and all the online resources I've gone through haven’t helped much. I’ve (maybe) attributed about two coins in this part of my collection. If you’re interested in helping let me know in the comments, if you're not interested, or you just wanna make some rant about my post being stupid wrong etc. move along this thread is not for you. I was told in this lot id be receiving a mixed  bag of coins ranging from 80 BC - 1453 AD and were picked at random with each order. Clearly that seller lied as they are all easily recognizable as constantinian with my very limited ancient numismatic knowledge. Any tips, help offered, ideas etc. would be super appreciated more than you could ever know! Edit: if someone out there is willling to help with THIS MANY coins, we'd probably be better off communicating via email or something, Like I said, lmk in the comments! 

8167C1D3-3435-4453-8530-5867CA4D3E25.jpeg

Edited by imperatorcoaticus97

Hi Andrew!!!

I'm back in a more limited fashion.  I'm not great with Constantinian bronzes, but I did email you a website that may be of some help.  I'll repost it here for you as well:

http://numismatics.org/ocre/

It may help with coins that aren't on Wildwinds.  Sadly, with Constantinian bronzes, that's the best I've got.  I got into ancients and then I specialized very quickly.  If I were a numismatic dinosaur, I'd probably be an Archaeopteryx....I evolved into an ancients guy, then I flew off into my new, narrow specialty tree rapidly, pursuing my new evolutionary destiny lol

Sorry I suck with Constantinian bronzes, my friend.

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

@JKK would you be willing to help me with this? I can send pictures of all the coins and front and back and their weight, but as for diameter I can't measure anything until I'm able to get a caliper Mohawk told me about unfortunately, and while I'm on the topic of help, if the diameter is the most important part and we can't do much until measurement, instead of the Constantinian coins could we work together on some other ancient coins I have, non roman? No worries if not! I understand people have their own stuff going on so if not I totally understand

On 10/16/2021 at 9:59 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

@JKK would you be willing to help me with this? I can send pictures of all the coins and front and back and their weight, but as for diameter I can't measure anything until I'm able to get a caliper Mohawk told me about unfortunately, and while I'm on the topic of help, if the diameter is the most important part and we can't do much until measurement, instead of the Constantinian coins could we work together on some other ancient coins I have, non roman? No worries if not! I understand people have their own stuff going on so if not I totally understand

Hey Andrew,

You can send some pics to me with weights, too, and I can flail about with them and Wildwinds, Aorta and OCRE as I get a chance and see what I can do, in my own rank amateurish way with these, if you want.  Just shoot them to me in an email, if you want.

~Tom

On 10/16/2021 at 7:54 PM, Mohawk said:

Hi Andrew!!!

I'm back in a more limited fashion.  I'm not great with Constantinian bronzes, but I did email you a website that may be of some help.  I'll repost it here for you as well:

http://numismatics.org/ocre/

It may help with coins that aren't on Wildwinds.  Sadly, with Constantinian bronzes, that's the best I've got.  I got into ancients ad then I specialized very quickly.  If I were a numismatic dinosaur, I'd probably be an Archaeopteryx....I evolved into an ancients guy, then I flew off into my new, narrow specialty tree rapidly, pursuing my new evolutionary destiny lol

Sorry I suck with Constantinian bronzes, my friend.

~Tom

Hey Tom, thanks for the extra website!! and no worries about your knowledge, what you're into is what you're into! I'm kinda starting to wish I was only interested in one subset of the ancient world like you, unfortunately I love it all! lol 

On 10/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, Mohawk said:

Hey Andrew,

You can send some pics to me with weights, too, and I can flail about with them and Wildwinds, Aorta and OCRE as I get a chance and see what I can do, in my own rank amateurish way with these, if you want.  Just shoot them to me in an email, if you want.

~Tom

Thank you tom! I haven't checked my email today, but I will right now. I SUPER appreciate the offer!!! 

On 10/16/2021 at 10:05 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

Hey Tom, thanks for the extra website!! and no worries about your knowledge, what you're into is what you're into! I'm kinda starting to wish I was only interested in one subset of the ancient world like you, unfortunately I love it all! lol 

Oh don't think I don't get tempted. I recently found out that an Annia Faustina Egyptian Tetradrachm may be a somewhat affordable way to add her to my subset of Faustina's family members and descendants who appeared on coins within my collection.....which got me looking at Egyptian Tetradrachms of almost anyone you can imagine!!! I had to slap myself in the head and tell myself to keep my eyes on the damned prize lol

Edited by Mohawk
I need to use words more correctly sometimes.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, imperatorcoaticus97 said:

Thank you tom! I haven't checked my email today, but I will right now. I SUPER appreciate the offer!!! 

No problem, my friend.  I can't promise anything great, but I will try my best for you.