• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edwardvs VII D:G:BRITT:OMN:REX F:D:IND:IMF coinin manohar lal jewellers collectable case
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Well, could be real. Could be fake. Could be a percentage of both. The good news is that Manohar Lal and Sons Jewelers does actually exist and they have a website. https://www.manoharlaljewellers.in/

Bad thing is that DH Gate sells fakes for a couple of bucks each. https://www.dhgate.com/product/rare-1902-king-edward-vii-matt-proof-gold/387909649.html

Another good thing is that if it's real, it would be worth over $1000. https://bullionexchanges.com/1902-1910-british-gold-sovereign-edward-vii

Another bad thing is, that india isn't required to stamp their gold and if they do choose to, they don't have to stamp it accurately.

https://www.gold-traders.co.uk/blog/indian-gold-hallmarks/

Edited by KarenHolcomb
Website didn't link. Trying again.

My initial thought is that it looks too nice but the coin could be authentic, better pictures of the coin (close ups of the front and back) would help with that. If a full sovereign, the value in gold, if authentic, would be around $420 U.S., you can currently buy these in circulated condition for under $500.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
More Info

@KarenHolcomb and @Fenntucky Mike.  This coin caught my attention and I had nothing else to do......  Thanks Karen for supplying the jewelry store link and the link to the DH guy who makes fakes (which are pretty darn good if I had to say so).  I actually just emailed the jewelry store a photo of the card and coin and asked them if they would please inform me as to the validity of the op's coin.  I can't imagine this store would put out who knows how many of this hallmark cards containing the real deal of a coin for souvenirs, but yet it does say 22Kt gold on the front of the card. That is unless they sold/sell these individually one by one out of their store.  I noticed they do sell coins albeit they only had a few advertised on their website and none like the op's.  I will let you know what they say if they even respond.  I thought it may at least be a good starting point to see what they say.  

The card is of recent manufacture and the coin appears to be a 1902 Edward VII sovereign. The front label indicated 22k or 0.916 with is the English standard.

Indians have long been buyers of gold, especially in very small quantities. Jewelers have traditionally packaged gold in small packets to cater to this trade and help control their inventory. If the company is well established, it is likely the coin is good. You can send a sharp, clear photo to the jeweler and see if they can confirm the packaging, etc.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:41 PM, RWB said:

You can send a sharp, clear photo to the jeweler and see if they can confirm the packaging, etc.

Not sure if you saw my post Roger but I did do what you suggested.  I sent them an email with attached pics from the op inquiring as to the validity of the coin.  Not sure what the time difference is in that part of the world (didn't look it up) but I have not yet heard back from this Jewelry dealer yet.  

On 10/15/2021 at 8:32 PM, RWB said:

The jeweler will not be willing to tell you anything without a much better photo.

I completely understand your thought but I have a question.  Do you think this jeweler, who created this item, would put both real coins and then fake coins into the same type of holder they use such as the one the op posted? I would like to think that this jeweler knows their business and that they may in fact have done some type of promotional thing where they may have created 100's of these things and gave them out with replica coins even though it says 22Kt. Remember, this is a different continent and their advertising regulations, rules and laws may not be the same as they are here in the States.  Maybe they were referring to (indirectly) the composition of an 'original' coin of the such.  I don't think a better pic is needed for the jeweler in question to answer whether or not they placed real, or fake, coins into these credit card looking holders. If they need a better close up photo, then that is on the op if they wish to supply this.  Other than that, if this jewelry company decides not to answer my/our email then once again.... it will be on the op's shoulders to bust it open so that good close-up and clear pics can be supplied to validate the coin. I seriously doubt the holder this coin is currently in would add any value to the coin if it were found to be real. Just stating MHO here.  Thanks.  

While typing, my last post crossed with the op's post.  What is that on the reverse of the coin? Is that on the coin or the plastic?

It is hard to tell, but I believe it is on the coin, which would damage it.  If it were authentic, why would they need to stamp it certified?   The more I research this, the more I believe it is a replica, but it s 22Kt.  I am new at collecting and think I may have made a mistake on this purchase.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:25 PM, PJran said:

It is hard to tell, but I believe it is on the coin, which would damage it.  If it were authentic, why would they need to stamp it certified?   The more I research this, the more I believe it is a replica, but it s 22Kt.  I am new at collecting and think I may have made a mistake on this purchase.

If the coin has been stamped then it has pretty much been trashed for any numismatic value due to this damage.... Exactly about "If it were authentic, why would they stamp it"...... Regardless, if in fact it is (and hopefully so) still 22Kt gold, at least you have the bullion/melt value.  Not sure what the current price is for this one, meaning the weight of the coin and current spot price, but hopefully you didn't pay more for it than its melt value. And once again... granted it is 22Kt. I think it's time to bust it out of the package but let's see what others say.  

Edited by GBrad

It's probably on the holder or a sticker on the coin, at any rate even if the coin were counter stamped it probably didn't hurt the value that much. It looks circulated and possibly cleaned so most likely it was only worth melt to begin with. It's probably real and worth aprox. $420 if a full sovereign.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:55 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's probably on the holder or a sticker on the coin, at any rate even if the coin were counter stamped it probably didn't hurt the value that much. It looks circulated and possibly cleaned so most likely it was only worth melt to begin with. It's probably real and worth aprox. $420 if a full sovereign.

I'm with MIke on all counts.  I think he has this one nailed.

I just opened up this email I received from the Jewelry store.  I had emailed them several days ago inquiring as to the authenticity of the coin and they actually responded.  Real gold but a fake coin. 

IMG_0680.PNG

Well, that's great to see an honest jeweler, and even more so that they responded to your request.

Send them a big Thank You!

On 10/19/2021 at 2:01 PM, RWB said:

Send them a big Thank You!

Yes, I was surprised to see a response too.  I have already thanked them for their reply to my question.  

Wow, Thank you very much for the information.  I still have not gotten a response.   You must have known how to phrase the question.   Now at least I know.... but bummed, think I got taken.  I am a new collector - obviously!

Thanks again for all who weighed in.

It appears you have the gold value in the piece. Plus, it's an interesting conversation starter at a local coin club.