• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey NGC, this site is completely broken!
2 2

42 posts in this topic

I find that it mostly works okay if I just log-out completely and log back in frequently. Mostly.

With pictures in the registry it seems to help to be mindful of file size since it doesn't seem to be kicking back when you try to upload a file that is too large. It just doesn't change the image and doesn't tell you why. I know they're having other issues with this too but I find that smaller files at least help.

Hopefully this is a sign of some cool new stuff they're working on. :):wishluck:

On 10/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, Revenant said:

I find that it mostly works okay if I just log-out completely and log back in frequently. Mostly.

With pictures in the registry it seems to help to be mindful of file size since it doesn't seem to be kicking back when you try to upload a file that is too large. It just doesn't change the image and doesn't tell you why. I know they're having other issues with this too but I find that smaller files at least help.

Hopefully this is a sign of some cool new stuff they're working on. :):wishluck:

Or the coders want to ensure their full employment by wrecking something only they can fix. It’s like arsonists working for the fire department. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/14/2021 at 4:01 PM, VKurtB said:

Or the coders want to ensure their full employment by wrecking something only they can fix. It’s like arsonists working for the fire department. 

I don't know on that one... Based on some articles that popped up a year or so ago NGC has fired and sued at least one company for bptching this stuff. lol

We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if things get bad enough or they can't fix the issue they can just revert to a prior state.

We had a software update a while back that added a new feature with a bug that it took the software engineer weeks to isolate and reproduce after I found it. lol I don't think I was his favorite person that month.

Edited by Revenant

On 10/14/2021 at 5:01 PM, VKurtB said:

Or the coders want to ensure their full employment by wrecking something only they can fix.

It certainly looks that wat.  First it started out not being able to sign in using MS Edge but Chrome worked fine.  Then it was, and still is, can't sign in with either either Edge or Chrome.  Had to dowwnload Opra and I have to leave Opra up and running.  Sent 3 emails to NGC Tech and got one reply.  "We are working on it."  That was five days ago.  Boo hoo, boo hoo.  :ohnoez:

Edited by Alex in PA.
Spelling

On 10/14/2021 at 4:10 PM, Alex in PA. said:

It certainly looks that wat.  First it started out not being able to sign in using MS Edge but Chrome worked fine.  Then it was, and still is, can't sign in with either either Edge or Chrome.  Had to dowwnload Opra and I have to leave Opra up and running.  Sent 3 emails to NGC Tech and got one reply.  "We are working on it."  That was five days ago.  Boo hoo, boo hoo.  :ohnoez:

I never use either Edge or Chrome. For that matter, I try to never use any product of either product’s parent company. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, Revenant said:

I guess I shouldn’t say it won’t upload because it does, but the only way you can see the new image is to actually hit the “view image” button. The images on the coin page and the set page will remain as the old image and takes a day or 2 to change. Not the end of the world, but it only took seconds before. Just something I have noticed lately.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:31 PM, Alex in PA. said:

What do you recommend?

I use Safari when on my iPad or Mac, and Firefox when on my Ubuntu machine. I don’t use Microsoft or Google products at all if I can avoid them. I choose to be the client, and not the product of my software. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/14/2021 at 5:12 PM, Lem E said:

I guess I shouldn’t say it won’t upload because it does, but the only way you can see the new image is to actually hit the “view image” button. The images on the coin page and the set page will remain as the old image and takes a day or 2 to change. Not the end of the world, but it only took seconds before. Just something I have noticed lately.

What got better with the upgrade? Nothing I can see. Net negative; coders still get paid, and now they are needed to fix what they broke. “What a country!”

On 10/14/2021 at 5:12 PM, Lem E said:

I actually had the exact opposite problem for a while. The thumbnail would show the new image and the full size was the old one. The set banner images also weren't updating right for a while.

And while you guys are fixing it, stop having it auto log us out after a week. Super annoying to be logged out in the middle of reading or worse, when trying to reply and then losing everything you wrote because the system decided to log you out! :mad:

I know Dena is planning a large update on the CGC forum soon, which has even more severe issues than NGC has.  Both forums use Invision.  Maybe an update is planned for here as well.  :wishluck:

On 10/14/2021 at 2:37 PM, VKurtB said:

And it’s getting worse by the day. It needs SERIOUS attention.

Yes sir i finally after week and a half of trying to post topics of coin issues im having was able to today i think by shear luck of trying desktop mode from my mobile. Pain in the rear but was able to finally post.

My 'Mole' in Washington, DC tells me this may be a Russian Cyber Attack designed to make the Russian 2021 1 ounce 3 Roubles coin more collectible with the Western coin grabbers.  . приветствую товарища

Dena posted this on the CGC forum.

After updating the NGC and PMG boards we found there was an issue with the remember me function. Users had to log out and clear their cookies and cache to successfully get back into the boards.

Dear members, departing from my usual policy of being a compulsive liar, something came over me, and I decided to tell the truth.

I was suspended so fast, and with members' expressing their gripes openly on the unforgiving Forum, decided to just let it be.

A lot of legitimate members got hurt but there was little I could do. 

Then, one day, an entire world opened up to me. I found out the back door was still unlocked, pushed it open, and re-locked it.  On a table was a list of offenses I committed, incredibly in chronological order and, realizing all this tailing by monitors and chaperones was costing the company a mint, I sat down and wrote a letter of apology, sent it, and even signed out of the site.

There are still a lot of kinks to be worked out -- like confidentially extending my suspension another six months, but I'm okay with that. Those who understand me either love, like or tolerate me and those who don't, ignore me, refuse to acknowledge me, or openly despise me. I'm okay with that, too.  I'm not a shot-caller.

Things will change in '22, and that and the upcoming convention, are the only matters that matter. If I find what I am looking for, and my wife accommodates me by unlocking the steel shackles that physically bind me to her (and cause me much embarrassment) I'll whip out my 30-power loupe, and get to work even if if it means being the G.O.A.T. for just an hour.

Good nite to all! And, to all, a good nite.    🐓 

FINALLY !!!  I'm back.  xD  (thumbsu

Felt like I was in one of those parallel universes or an episode of STAR TREK where I can see and hear others but they can't see me.  Like I phased out !! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

The most useful way to help a SW developer is to explain exactly what happens. Start at the beginning and describe what you see and what happens when you try different things. If the SW is well documented (Use-Cases are common) a SW developer can identify the problem, find the defective or misbehaving code, and make a correction. They will test it on various platforms and browsers, then upload the revised compiled code.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:09 PM, RWB said:

The most useful way to help a SW developer is to explain exactly what happens. Start at the beginning and describe what you see and what happens when you try different things. If the SW is well documented (Use-Cases are common) a SW developer can identify the problem, find the defective or misbehaving code, and make a correction. They will test it on various platforms and browsers, then upload the revised compiled code.

Well, clearly something went wrong or NGC is much better at coins than software.  xD

Lots of people kept saying they all of a sudden couldn't login -- we were all at the Registry Page, I guess -- and yet we were initially told that we needed to clear cache or cookies.  Which did nothing.

Thankfully, somebody at NGC recognized the problem and the URL sent allowed us to change the password which bypassed the problem.  Not sure why a new password solved a software glitch but it did.

NGC and PCGS have their software built and maintained by contractors. How performance is monitored is defined in the agreement between the TPG and SW vendor/builder and the website developer.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:17 AM, RWB said:

NGC and PCGS have their software built and maintained by contractors. How performance is monitored is defined in the agreement between the TPG and SW vendor/builder and the website developer.

And this is why people who run mission critical software are usually the very last to “upgrade” software. 

My login also kept taking me to the registry page. Mark told me to log out of the registry page and then try to log back in to the forum. Worked great after not being able to log in for a few days. 

On 10/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, bsshog40 said:

My login also kept taking me to the registry page. Mark told me to log out of the registry page and then try to log back in to the forum. Worked great after not being able to log in for a few days. 

Yep has been an off and on issue recently.

FWIW...after being able to login that 1 time with a password reset, I got sent back to Registry Page Hell the next time.  I even got a new PC in the interim and the same problem happened so it couldn't have been a cookies or temp files thing or any of that.

My Solution:  I'm using a Chrome incognito tab and the login so far has been smooth each time I've done it.  Anybody reading this who has been shut-out or needs a new password reset from the NGC folks, try that.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I am sorry to hear that. What works for me -- I have no shame -- is genuflecting, groveling and in a worst case scenario, throwing myself at the feet of top management. I can vouch for the fact my punishment was well-deserved and not at all heavy-handed.  I do, however, admit it is a terrible feeling being a cat that is forbidden to stick its paw in the goldfish bowl.   🐓