• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone decide on this 2000 Lincoln DDR or no?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hey Fellows. How y'all doing? I'm having trouble deciding if the raised and sharp, for lack of a better word, line that is at top right of the 3rd pillar is Doubling or not. If not, ideas as to what it might be would also be helpful. I have, had 5-1 in favor of a DDR, but now the guys are faltering and saying not sure. Mostly because of some stupid cheat sheet that says Pillar Doubling is generally only on the 1st, 5th, 8th, and 12th ones. Generally doesn't mean always last time I checked. I don't think it's a Plating Blister because of how sharp and perfectly straight it is. I could be wrong. You all know ot wouldn't be the 1st time. 

So yeah, thanks for any input you may have.

P.S. Yes, I know it's a WAM.

PXL_20211010_134445163~2.jpg

PXL_20211010_134451177~2.jpg

PXL_20211010_134532831.jpg

Edited by KarenHolcomb

On 10/13/2021 at 11:00 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Hey Fellows. How y'all doing?

Couldn't be better, considering other things.... but thanks for asking Karen (nice WAM)!!!!(thumbsu @Mr.Bill347 with ALL due respect sir you are comparing a 1981 copper Lincoln cent to a 2000 zincoln and I respectfully don't think that would work here. Karen, I have seen this exact same thing before on zincs I have found (I mean THE exact same thing thinking I'd found a new DDR) and I was able to ultimately smash down the extra looking column with a hard toothpick or other object which obviously brought closure that it was a plating issue of some sort. Please try this first and let us know what happens.  If it breaks the 'line' or causes any indentation in the 'line' at all then it is a plating issue. If not, then, well..... you may have something.  As far as "generally" goes regarding doubling within the columns on the reverse.... there is no such thing as "generally" here on zinc's and columns.  There are tons of listed DDR's out there concerning 'extra columns' and they are all over the place and spread out between ALL of the columns. 

I meant to add, I believe there may have only been one die set (the proof reverse) that caused the 2000 WAM, correct me if I am wrong.  If this is the case, then there would not have been any DDR's to speak of on a 2000 WAM as there have not been any found to date on this WAM.   

Well Schnizzle. I was starting to lean towards a Gouge anyway. I truly don't think it's a Blister. I guess it is in rough enough shape that I could try your suggestion but it would absolutely kill me. Lol! I gotta say that I was pretty stoked about it. In this game though, disappointment is more common than not. 

What do y'all think about the Gouge thought? I told a friend that it feels like if I took my machete and and buried it in a tree and then took a cast of the cut, it feels like what the outside of that cast might feel. (I've been cutting back a bunch of brush this Summer). 

Well, I've decided to choose Gouge as my answer. Mostly because I don't want to try and pop it. I have been trying to put together a little Clad, 82-09 book for a kid and I'm only putting the best Circulated Coins I can find in P and D, and am putting in random minor errors when I find them and they are interesting. Like DD's that have 70 listings and you know, Ridge Ring and Collar Clashes, Split Plating, etc. Stuff a kid would maybe find cool and want to learn about. So while this Coin is in condition, it will make a nice learning surprise. What do you guys think about the idea? Oh, and no Proofs. Empty spots where they'll go once he gets them if he decides he's interested. Something to work towards.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:20 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

Well, I've decided to choose Gouge as my answer. Mostly because I don't want to try and pop it. I have been trying to put together a little Clad, 82-09 book for a kid and I'm only putting the best Circulated Coins I can find in P and D, and am putting in random minor errors when I find them and they are interesting. Like DD's that have 70 listings and you know, Ridge Ring and Collar Clashes, Split Plating, etc. Stuff a kid would maybe find cool and want to learn about. So while this Coin is in condition, it will make a nice learning surprise. What do you guys think about the idea? Oh, and no Proofs. Empty spots where they'll go once he gets them if he decides he's interested. Something to work towards.

I think you have an excellent plan here Karen for a child!!!! Kudos to you!!!  With this mind, please don't do what I suggested trying to bust the plating bubble if that is what it is, or possibly a die gouge, that @Coinbuf recommended.  In hindsight, being a 2000 WAM, just let it be as @J P Mashokestated.  It very well may be a die gouge or a plating issue but no big deal at all. I don't think it is a doubled die as stated by others.  I agree with these guys and would hate it if you did 'burst the bubble' and cause zinc death to the coin if in fact it is a plating bubble. Good luck with that collection!!!!(thumbsu

Hi Karen!!!

Well, you definitely have a 2000 Wide AM, which is a good find in and of itself!! However, on the reverse, my first thought on that is a plating blister....it has that look to me and, as you know, those are pretty common on Zincolns.  

~Tom