• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The silver "winged" liberty dime

7 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to the Forum,

Please post closeups of the front and back of the coin so that others can give their opinions of it. I couldn't make out the date but it appears to be a circulated coin, so the chances of it being worth more than the silver content are not great. Good luck. (thumbsu

This outfit has no connection with the US Mint or Government.  They went through a lot of effort to make a a common mercury dime look special.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but looks like a common 1940s date in circulated condition (there is nothing on the certificate to indicate it's anything else).  The dime is worth the silver melt value which is currently $1.65+/-.  Dealers/precious metal buyers will probably offer a little less. 

Taking a wild guess, this might be from the early 80s silver boom or shortly thereafter (only speculation), so there is a small chance somebody would be interested in the coin and cert as a novelty and offer a couple dollars extra on someplace like ebay.  IMO, it's probably not worth the time, hassle and cost to find a buyer.

BTW: The cert has an error.  The coin does not have 2.5 grams of precious metal (silver). The coin weighs 2.5 grams and contains 90% silver, so the precious metal content is less (2.25 gms or 0.0723 troy ounces)

It has another error, too. Weinman's name is spelled wrong.

I wonder how they came up with a figure of 1000% for the "AVG INCREASE IN VALUE."  The card is copyrighted 1992, and the price of silver then was running $3.75 to $4.00 per ounce. That puts the melt value at 28 - 30 cents. 

Oldhoopster is right. That was a lot of trouble for a coin that you could have picked up at a coin show for probably 50 cents. Still, it is interesting, at least to me. I think the holder is worth more than the coin.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Probably only worth melt value , the fancy fake knock off authentication doesn’t contribute any value for it either 

But.....but...LQQK closely.....the obverse is a very rare rotated die....must be worth thousands !!!!!!!!!!!******!!!!!

On 10/12/2021 at 11:56 AM, RWB said:

But.....but...LQQK closely.....the obverse is a very rare rotated die....must be worth thousands !!!!!!!!!!!******!!!!!

I don’t want to look at it too closely , might start seeing fuzzy doubling will add more unnecessary value to this special specimen