• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why There Are So Many Disagreements
1 1

34 posts in this topic

Matt Dinger, one half of The Coin Show podcast, and a professional dealer in Indianapolis, has said he has THOUSANDS of fake coins in a bucket in his shop. ONE dealer in one town. Think about that. Beginners in this hobby are being “taken” every day, but not just by fakes. Also by real coins at obscenely marked up prices. To me the MAIN feature of the Internet is as a scam enabling system. 

Right now, when seemingly everybody has lost their ability to think rationally, I STILL insist on doing buying in person, eye to eye. 

Want to keep it “old school”?  I’m your huckleberry. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/12/2021 at 1:16 PM, VKurtB said:

Matt Dinger, one half of The Coin Show podcast, and a professional dealer in Indianapolis, has said he has THOUSANDS of fake coins in a bucket in his shop. ONE dealer in one town. Think about that. Beginners in this hobby are being “taken” every day, but not just by fakes. Also by real coins at obscenely marked up prices. To me the MAIN feature of the Internet is as a scam enabling system. 

Right now, when seemingly everybody has lost their ability to think rationally, I STILL insist on doing buying in person, eye to eye. 

...im not sure u can be the huckleberry here, i think sharann from mississippi had dibs on that first....maybe u can be the forum raspberry?...but stay away from the dingle area of the patch....

Beginners in this hobby are being “taken” every day, but not just by fakes. Also by real coins at obscenely marked up prices. To me the MAIN feature of the Internet is as a scam enabling system. 

It's partly a result of the financialization of the hobby.

But to your second point, if I insisted on buying my coins in person, I would not be collecting.  I'm never buying the coins most collectors do and those I want to buy aren't available like that.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:16 PM, World Colonial said:

It's partly a result of the financialization of the hobby.

But to your second point, if I insisted on buying my coins in person, I would not be collecting.  I'm never buying the coins most collectors do and those I want to buy aren't available like that.

Funny that, if I had to collect by shipping, I wouldn’t be collecting. Too many nightmarish outcomes. For my more oddball material, well, I go to 4-5 major shows every year. And that’ll do. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/12/2021 at 12:55 PM, zadok said:

im not sure u can be the huckleberry here, i think sharann from

Before my cerebral hemorrhage, I could shoot like Doc Holiday, and had the medals to prove it. Also biathlon. (Winter, xc ski plus shooting) Then in 2009, I had to relearn walking. I recently ran a 10k. 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:29 PM, VKurtB said:

Before my cerebral hemorrhage, I could shoot like Doc Holiday, and had the medals to prove it. Also biathlon. (Winter, xc ski plus shooting) Then in 2009, I had to relearn walking. I recently ran a 10k. 

...yea but can u 'rassle a nittany lion n swim 'gainst the 'bama tide at the same time?....

I wonder if the sun would shine a little better for collectors if they bothered to educate themselves before buying? 

Counterfeiters may suck, but they only get away with it because collectors insist on remaining uneducated. 

On 10/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, gmarguli said:

I wonder if the sun would shine a little better for collectors if they bothered to educate themselves before buying? 

Counterfeiters may suck, but they only get away with it because collectors insist on remaining uneducated. 

And in such a gosh darn hurry to do EVERYTHING, too! What the he—?

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/12/2021 at 2:22 PM, VKurtB said:

Funny that, if I had to collect by shipping, I wouldn’t be collecting. Too many nightmarish outcomes. For my more oddball material, well, I go to 4-5 major shows every year. And that’ll do. 

I presume a few coins I really wanted to buy might have been available at shows I did not attend which was most.  However, most of my primary set has come from auctions supplemented by a few coins from dealers and eBay.

It's come to the point now where my only option will likely be approaching dealers to find it for me.  This year, I have bought one coin and was outbid on two.  Nothing else showed up which I wanted to buy.

The reason I have arrived at my current state is a combination of factors.  Most coins don't interest me anymore.  Even if it did, I'm not paying current prices which I deem excessive for such ordinary material and this applies to both US and non-US. Selling is also less predictable (in my recent experience) than it used to be.

Years ago, I could have put together a high quality decent sized secondary collection on a modest budget (high four figures to maybe slightly over $10k) on coins I used to buy or others I might have bought.

No longer.  In another thread, I gave an example of a coin I bought in 1998 for $45.  More recently, Stacks sold four from slight over $700 to $900.  Not happened to everything but nicer quality (this was MS-64) is more than I am willing to pay.

I'm not paying this type of price for what I describe as undistinguished mediocrity.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:06 PM, World Colonial said:

undistinguished mediocrity.

You may consider that phrase lifted. 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, VKurtB said:

Every stinking day of my life, man. Every stinking day. I couldn’t believe it. My wife’s whole family thought ‘Bama would only drop to #2 behind Georgia. They were SERIOUS. The SEC derangement syndrome is ridiculous! All the officials stink. 

If SEC fans were given sodium pentathol, they’d admit they believe a three loss SEC team has a superior claim to the playoffs to any other undefeated team. It’s a real mental illness down here. 

true....but i still think national championship game could be 'bama vs georgia unless the bracketing doesnt allow it to happen....

On 10/12/2021 at 2:38 PM, zadok said:

true....but i still think national championship game could be 'bama vs georgia unless the bracketing doesnt allow it to happen....

In this age of Conference Championship games, no team that has NOT won theirs should EVER make the playoffs, period. That makes Alabama v. Georgia an impossibility. #NoWildCards

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/12/2021 at 3:38 PM, zadok said:

I live in ATL but can't stand either team.  I also think both are head and shoulders above all others, unfortunately.

Had a recent discussion last week with a co-worker who is a UGA fan.  I told him I thought UGA would save some surprises for the championship game, assuming both were undefeated.

Now with Alabama losing, I'd go for the "knockout punch" in the SEC title game to eliminate them from the CFP.  Florida is the only team left on the UGA schedule with what I consider a realistic chance to beat them, I don't think they will. and don't believe any other team they will face can match up against them either.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, World Colonial said:

I live in ATL but can't stand either team.  I also think both are head and shoulders above all others, unfortunately.

Had a recent discussion last week with a co-worker who is a UGA fan.  I told him I thought UGA would save some surprises for the championship game, assuming both were undefeated.

Now with Alabama losing, I'd go for the "knockout punch" in the SEC title game to eliminate them from the CFP.  Florida is the only team left on the UGA schedule with what I consider a realistic chance to beat them, I don't think they will. and don't believe any other team they will face can match up against them either.

...good assessment n i agree, i think sabin will pull out all the stops in sec champ game n hope to play them again in national champ game, if they both just one loss to each other would be one heck of a game, more like a chess match....

On 10/12/2021 at 2:50 PM, zadok said:

...good assessment n i agree, i think sabin will pull out all the stops in sec champ game n hope to play them again in national champ game, if they both just one loss to each other would be one heck of a game, more like a chess match....

Here’s a novel idea. If SEC teams do nothing but knock each other off, as happens in other conferences, let’s just have a thought that there could be a four team playoff with NO SEC team in it. Just like every other conference. 
Right now, there’s a conference that has 5 of the top 10 teams in the country. Hint: it AIN’T the SEC. Think farther north. Those are the boys playing the toughest schedules. Penn State is good, real good. But if Sean Clifford is hurt bad, they’ll be lucky to win 2 more games. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/12/2021 at 2:47 PM, gmarguli said:

All you have to do is to look at the comments of some of the actors we have here and you've got your answer.  

Edited by Alex in PA.
Add information

On 10/12/2021 at 4:34 PM, Alex in PA. said:

All you have to do is to look at the comments of some of the actors we have here and you've got your answer.  

...true, n some have their heads where the sun doesnt shine.....

Agree.

Our "federally chartered hobby organization" squats in the corner with its head in a bucket.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:16 PM, VKurtB said:

It's the phone ringing all the time.  Even if you don't hibernate between tweets India calls over and over and nobody will do a thing about it.  

They're not even trying to scam you any longer,  they just want to interrupt.  

How else can you explain current events?  ...Mass psychosis.

On 10/13/2021 at 8:30 AM, cladking said:

It's the phone ringing all the time.  Even if you don't hibernate between tweets India calls over and over and nobody will do a thing about it.  

They're not even trying to scam you any longer,  they just want to interrupt.  

How else can you explain current events?  ...Mass psychosis.

Oh dude, we’ve had mass psychosis in the rear view mirror for YEARS. This is worse. 

On 10/12/2021 at 8:24 PM, RWB said:

Agree.

Our "federally chartered hobby organization" squats in the corner with its head in a bucket.

It is completely limited in what it can do, according to legal counsel. You know Hollie; you have her autograph. 
The ANA is NOT an advocacy organization of ANY sort. It’s charter and mandate is 100% EDUCATIONAL. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, VKurtB said:

Every stinking day of my life, man. Every stinking day.  The SEC....SEC.... SEC 

What? Wait!  What's the Securities and Exchange  Commission got to do with any of this?  :signofftopic:

I haven't had a disagreement with anyone or anything in over a month.   🐓 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:33 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

What? Wait!  What's the Securities and Exchange  Commission got to do with any of this?  :signofftopic:

I haven't had a disagreement with anyone or anything in over a month.   🐓 

south eastern conference......its football season....numismatically, its the coin flip at the start of the game....

On 10/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, VKurtB said:

If SEC fans were given sodium pentathol, they’d admit they believe a three loss SEC team has a superior claim to the playoffs to any other undefeated team.  

That's because a three-loss SEC team is still a better team than anyone else in the country, with the possible exception of a few teams from the center of the US, like Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Texas. (And maybe Michigan, every now and then.)

:devil:

On 10/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, Just Bob said:

That's because a three-loss SEC team is still a better team than anyone else in the country, with the possible exception of a few teams from the center of the US, like Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Texas. (And maybe Michigan, every now and then.)

:devil:

What was the Penn State / Auburn outcome again? At least they PLAYED somebody. Most SEC teams schedule the Hellen Keller College of the Deaf and Blind for non-conference opponents and then say “Ooh, look at our awesome record.” Ridiculous. The Southeast Conference is STEALING TV money 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:52 PM, VKurtB said:

What was the Penn State / Auburn outcome again? 

Don't have a clue. I just posted that to see who I would get a rise out of. I don't follow football at all. Unlike many people in the South, I don't let the performance of a bunch of twenty-somethings determine whether or not I have a good day /week/year.