• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No question now about the 2022 quarter designs.
1 1

13 posts in this topic

The US mint has just announced it’s plan for the 2022 quarters. Glad I got so many WCD and Tuskeegee now.

U.S. Mint: News Release

United States Mint Announces Designs for 2022 American Women Quarters™ Program Coins

WASHINGTON – The United States Mint (Mint) is pleased to announce the official designs for the first five coins in the American Women Quarters Program. Authorized by Public Law 116-330, this four-year program features coins with reverse (tails) designs emblematic of the accomplishments and contributions of trailblazing American women. Beginning in 2022 and continuing through 2025, the Mint will issue five quarters in each of these years. The ethnically, racially, and geographically diverse group of individuals honored through this program reflects a wide range of accomplishments and fields, including suffrage, civil rights, abolition, government, humanities, science, space, and the arts. The 2022 coins recognize the achievements of Maya Angelou, Dr. Sally Ride, Wilma Mankiller, Nina Otero-Warren, and Anna May Wong.

“These inspiring coin designs tell the stories of five extraordinary women whose contributions are indelibly etched in American culture,” said United States Mint Acting Director Alison L. Doone. “Generations to come will look at coins bearing these designs and be reminded of what can be accomplished with vision, determination and a desire to improve opportunities for all.”

2022 Reverse Designs
The Secretary of the Treasury selected the final designs in accordance with the design selection process, which is available here. All reverse designs were created by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Designers and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artists. Line art of the designs is available here.

Maya Angelou—celebrated writer, performer, social activist
Designer: Emily Damstra, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Craig A. Campbell, Medallic Artist
The design depicts Maya Angelou with her arms uplifted. Behind her are a bird in flight and a rising sun, images inspired by her poetry and symbolic of the way she lived. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “MAYA ANGELOU,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” and “QUARTER DOLLAR.”

Dr. Sally Ride—physicist, astronaut, educator, and first American woman to soar into space
Designer: Elana Hagler, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Phebe Hemphill, Medallic Artist
This design depicts Dr. Ride next to a window on the space shuttle, inspired by her quote, “But when I wasn’t working, I was usually at a window looking down at Earth.” The inscription “E PLURIBUS UNUM” is intentionally positioned over the Earth next to America, indicating that out of all women in the United States, Dr. Ride was the first into space. The additional inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “QUARTER DOLLAR,” and “DR. SALLY RIDE.”

Wilma Mankiller—first woman elected principal chief of the Cherokee Nation and an activist for Native American and women’s rights
Designer: Ben Sowards, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Phebe Hemphill, Medallic Artist
This design depicts Wilma Mankiller with a resolute gaze to the future. The wind is at her back, and she is wrapped in a traditional shawl. To her left is the seven-pointed star of the Cherokee Nation. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” “QUARTER DOLLAR,” “WILMA MANKILLER,” “PRINCIPAL CHIEF,” and “CHEROKEE NATION,” which is written in the Cherokee syllabary.

Nina Otero-Warren—a leader in New Mexico’s suffrage movement and the first female superintendent of Santa Fe public schools
Designer: Chris Costello, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Craig A. Campbell, Medallic Artist
The design features an image of Nina Otero-Warren on the left, flanked by three individual Yucca flowers—New Mexico’s state flower. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “QUARTER DOLLAR,” “E PLUIBUS UNUM,” “NINA OTERO-WARREN,” and “VOTO PARA LA MUJER,” the Spanish counterpart for the suffragist slogan “Votes for Women.”

Anna May Wong—first Chinese American film star in Hollywood, who left a legacy for women in the film industry
Designer: Emily Damstra, AIP Designer
Sculptor: John P. McGraw, Medallic Artist
This design features a close-up image of Anna May Wong with her head resting on her hand, surrounded by the bright lights of a marquee sign. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” “QUARTER DOLLAR,” and “ANNA MAY WONG.”

Common Obverse (Heads) Design
The obverse design of all coins in the American Women Quarters Program is by Laura Gardin Fraser, one of the most prolific female sculptors of the early 20th century, whose works span the art and numismatic worlds. Fraser’s design depicts a portrait of George Washington, which was originally composed and sculpted as a candidate to mark George Washington’s 200th birthday. Though recommended for the 1932 quarter, then-Treasury Secretary Mellon ultimately selected the familiar John Flannigan design. Inscriptions are “LIBERTY,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” and “2022.”

On-sale dates for products containing the 2022 American Women Quarters Program will be published on the Mint’s Product Schedule here. When available, 

I don’t like them. Lady Liberty?  I can see the Innobucks being modern. These really needed to be classic beauties, like our American Ladies represent to our country. These are modern classics. Not trinket looking game tokens. 
  I feel better now. Nice to be back

I don't collect U.S. coins and I likely won't add these quarters to the inventory of what I sell.  The only difference they'll make in my life is being yet another different quarter design that I pump into washers and dryers at the Laundromat.  I don't care what they look like as long as they work to get my clothes clean (thumbsu

On 10/7/2021 at 11:17 AM, 124Spider said:

I love them!  It's long past time to recognize great women, instead of stifling them.

I personally agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly!! My previous comment only pertained to the aesthetics of the coins involved and my general lack of collecting interest in U.S. coins.  What I actually do collect likely shows that I'm all for numismatic items with tough, strong women on them.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:36 AM, Mohawk said:

I personally agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly!! My previous comment only pertained to the aesthetics of the coins involved and my general lack of collecting interest in U.S. coins.  What I actually do collect likely shows that I'm all for numismatic items with tough, strong women on them.

I collect only US coins (well, other than one ancient Greek coin), but I like the ones from the first half of the 20th century more than the more recent ones.

But I do like the idea of a bunch of quarters each year, and they'll look lovely in a silver proof set.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:10 PM, 124Spider said:

I collect only US coins (well, other than one ancient Greek coin), but I like the ones from the first half of the 20th century more than the more recent ones.

But I do like the idea of a bunch of quarters each year, and they'll look lovely in a silver proof set.

I'd like to be proven wrong in my assumptions on these, but I don't think I will be.  I am familiar with the Laura Gardin Fraser obverse design that they're going to use.....and warning of another unpopular opinion on U.S. coinage aesthetics coming from the boards' resident Faustina the Younger guy coming.....and I heartily dislike it.  I'm actually not a big fan of any of Gardin Fraser's art, at least that I've seen.  It's entirely possible that there is a work by her that I haven't seen that I would enjoy.  But I did go look at the line art of the reverses, and they look alright, honestly.  I actually really like the Anna May Wong and the Maya Angelou designs.  But that obverse....man, that obverse.....it kind of kills these for me right out of the gate.  So, for me, great idea and worthy people honored but destroyed by what is, in my opinion, a poor obverse design choice.

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, Mohawk said:

I'd like to be proven wrong in my assumptions on these, but I don't think I will be.  I am familiar with the Laura Gardin Fraser obverse design that they're going to use.....and warning of another unpopular opinion on U.S. coinage aesthetics coming from the boards' resident Faustina the Younger guy coming.....and I heartily dislike it.  I'm actually not a big fan of any of Gardin Fraser's art, at least that I've seen.  It's entirely possible that there is a work by her that I haven't seen that I would enjoy.  But I did go look at the line art of the reverses, and they look alright, honestly.  I actually really like the Anna May Wong and the Maya Angelou designs.  But that obverse....man, that obverse.....it kind of kills these for me right out of the gate.  So, for me, great idea and worthy people honored but destroyed by what is, in my opinion, a poor obverse design choice.

I certainly have no issues with people's design tastes!  I was in large part reacting to a subtext in a couple of the posts indicating hostility to the idea of a series of coins honoring women.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:42 PM, 124Spider said:

I certainly have no issues with people's design tastes!  I was in large part reacting to a subtext in a couple of the posts indicating hostility to the idea of a series of coins honoring women.

Yeah.....those are certainly not my sentiments whatsoever!! I think the series is a great idea actually, and if they weren't going to have that butt ugly Laura Gardin Fraser obverse, I'd actually be giving thought to collecting the silver proofs myself.  It's a series that would actually appeal to me highly if not for that obverse design.  If they had just stuck with the Flanagan obverse, or done a new obverse altogether....maybe something with Liberty, I may very well have found myself collecting a U.S. coin series again for the first time in over a decade.  But, in true U.S. Mint fashion, they found a way to take a great idea and ugly it up with some resurrected relic design from the 1930's by someone who, in my opinion, was something of a subpar artist.  It's ironic......all of the great female artists who have lived through the centuries and who are living now and the U.S. Mint finds a very uninspired and rather dreadful work by a barely known (outside of numismatic circles) female artist to put on a series of coins honoring great women.  Only the U.S. Mint could have managed this kind of a flub up.  They should give up on the Washington design and put a truly inspired design by a female artist on the obverse of these coins, IMHO.

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/6/2021 at 6:40 PM, Coinbuf said:

Just more awful and uninspiring junk designs from the mint, something else to not collect for me.

On 10/6/2021 at 6:25 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I agree, I’m not sexist, but What’s next abortion rights? The Quarter needs to stay traditional.

Once this program is over they're going to wade into youth sports.    This was the final year the quarter program will be taken seriously and I've collected quite a few.    Not a fan as these programs go off the rails.   I'm not surprised it has now gone out of control.   They've made so many different reverses for so many subjects they can strike whatever they want on them now.   It'll be rare to find any one type of anything.