• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Limited Edition Silver Proof set

11 posts in this topic

Hey y’all, my name is Jason and I’m a newish collector. I’m 50 and needed a new hobby, something less taxing on the ol body.  So I started buying proof and silver proof sets about a year ago. Of course, I’m still learning the ropes so I have a quick and easy question. 

The 2021 Limited Edition Silver Proofs are now available. My question is, should I buy from the US Mint or wait?  It seems like the 2019 and 2020 silver proofs are selling at a premium. I keep hovering my finger over the buy button, but can’t commit if there is a possibility the set will go down in price once the hype wears off. 

I also have a 1889 Morgan that is in great shape. It was part of a small coin collection my mom had before she passed. I’ll post a few picture of it later. I’d like to get some opinions on what I could expect the grade to be. 

Anyway, nice to meet y’all. I hope to use your knowledge to help me grow. 

Welcome to the forum, @Jblindy. Let me start by telling I am not a PRO at coin collecting. I am just an old guy that likes to collect coins, I have never sold any thing. I have all the proof and mint sets from 1956 though this year, including the silver set and limited proof sets.  Most of the sets after 1964 have not went up much more then what I paid for them from the mint. So if you are buying to make money I don't have any advice for you. If you are buying to improve your collection, all I can tell you is the set are very nice, buy what you like and enjoy what you buy. I do believe this years set is over priced, for the coins in it. But I bought it because I have all the rest, and it dose have both types of the ASE in the set. Now the Pros will tell you their advice.

@Rummy13Thanks for your response. I don’t plan on selling for profit, but I don’t want to overpay for sets/coins either.  I like to buy the best I can afford but I shop like a mad man to get the most out of my money. I think that’s part of the enjoyment. Doing your due diligence and conducting the necessary research to better the chance of walking away with a great deal. It’s all part of the fun. Drives my wife crazy. 

The two silver eagles in the set are what caught my eye. I think they are beautiful coins. 

Do you collect individual coins as well?

I’ve been toying with the idea of collecting silver eagles. I also want to expand on the single Barber I have. 

Hello and Welcome Jblindy,

My answer to this is that if you genuinely like the set and want it for your collection, you should acquire one.  But if money is a concern that goes beyond just wanting the set because you like it, then it might be better to wait.  Modern U.S. Mint stuff often goes down in varying degrees after they hype on the product goes down.  So, it's really up to you based on what your reasons for collecting are and your collecting goals.  I'm probably a bad one to ask about numismatic investing.  I now only collect one thing, which are coins of Roman Empress Faustina the Younger.  Even after almost 1,900 years, the vast majority of her coins are still extremely common. Her coins are almost like the 1980's baseball cards of Second Century CE coinage. I'm certainly not going to be able to retire on a Faustina colllection.  But I'm fascinated by her and I love her coins, so I buy them for that reason....for love.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:00 PM, Jblindy said:

@Rummy13Thanks for your response. I don’t plan on selling for profit, but I don’t want to overpay for sets/coins either.  I like to buy the best I can afford but I shop like a mad man to get the most out of my money. I think that’s part of the enjoyment. Doing your due diligence and conducting the necessary research to better the chance of walking away with a great deal. It’s all part of the fun. Drives my wife crazy. 

The two silver eagles in the set are what caught my eye. I think they are beautiful coins. 

Do you collect individual coins as well?

I’ve been toying with the idea of collecting silver eagles. I also want to expand on the single Barber I have. 

Yes a collect circulated coins for my books.

II have over 140 Silver eagles, bullion, burnish, and proofs.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:05 PM, Jblindy said:

My question is, should I buy from the US Mint or wait?

Im very new to this also but im all for buying from the Mint. Now I have a pretty limited budget so I try to keep my buys to coins or sets with fairly low production numbers. I came very close to buying the coin set your talking about and I still may. If for some reason you needed to sell that set it looks like it wouldnt be very hard to get your money and maybe a bit more out of it.

Oh yeah, heres a tip; If you want coins from the mint that you know are going to be in high demand be sure to set up the Remind Me request on that coins page. I got my reminder the day they released the 2021 S. Eagle Reverse Proof Designer Set. The sale started at 12:00 and I think I noticed they were out by 12:42. Luckily I got my order in but it wasnt easy as the site kept crashing. I had to reload that site about a dozen times before my order actually went thru.

Welcome to the nuthouse, Mike

On 10/1/2021 at 11:17 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

Oh yeah, heres a tip; If you want coins from the mint that you know are going to be in high demand be sure to set up the Remind Me request on that coins page. 

Yep, that’s great advice. I received my text today at 1231. Not sure why it was 31 minutes after the release, but better late than never. I have set myself a budget as well because I can see myself going waaaay overboard. 

On 10/2/2021 at 12:13 PM, Jblindy said:

Well then, that solves that problem. 😆

Yeah.....that happens sometimes.  Better luck next time, though!!