• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help to identify, Islamic (?) silver coin
1 1

21 posts in this topic

What is the reason for the characters on the coin being turned in the opposite direction of the characters in the drawing? (I apologize - I don't read the language)

On 9/29/2021 at 1:44 AM, Just Bob said:

What is the reason for the characters on the coin being turned in the opposite direction of the characters in the drawing? (I apologize - I don't read the language)

The first image is flipped. Will fix. Thank you

On 9/29/2021 at 7:25 AM, shredplayer said:

Those are ornamental symbols. But just read the legend on the coin more carefully, and there are 2 or 3 few spelling errors on the kalima and the ruler side. Which means this is more likely to be an Anatolian Imitation.

Imitation? Not a real coin then?

It is a real coin, especially because it is struck on another coin Ilkhan coin. The errors could be because that the engraver wasn't fluent in Arabic language, could also because of the region it was struck in. What I can do is upload it to zeno.ru.

Some imitations are worth more than the actual coin. I recently had a European imitation of a Sasanian Drachm, sold for $475.

Edited by shredplayer

On 9/28/2021 at 11:18 AM, shredplayer said:

Rare coin

Islamic Ilkhan(Mongols of Persia) Sulayman 1339-1346 AR 6 Dirhams(weight should be around 4g) Mint likely Ani AH742 Diler Su-796

What does make it rare?
How can I have a idea of value?
sorry to bother.

thank you

On 9/28/2021 at 9:11 PM, shredplayer said:

It isn't reversed.

Actually, it was. The OP acknowledged as much, and flipped the photo around.

On 9/29/2021 at 5:25 AM, shredplayer said:

Those are ornamental symbols. But just read the legend on the coin more carefully, and there are 2 or 3 few spelling errors on the kalima and the ruler side. Which means this is more likely to be an Anatolian Imitation.

You are going to have to explain this one to me: How can I "read the legend more carefully" if , as I stated in my above post, I don't read the language?

On 9/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, Just Bob said:

Actually, it was. The OP acknowledged as much, and flipped the photo around.

You are going to have to explain this one to me: How can I "read the legend more carefully" if , as I stated in my above post, I don't read the language?

Just Bob, I was referring to myself. And read like in past tense. 

On 9/28/2021 at 11:18 AM, shredplayer said:

Rare coin

Islamic Ilkhan(Mongols of Persia) Sulayman 1339-1346 AR 6 Dirhams(weight should be around 4g) Mint likely Ani AH742 Diler Su-796

follow metrics

19mm, 1.3g

2 Dirhams?

Edited by blackfoxDJ
update