• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1881 O Morgan grading assistance

10 posts in this topic

Hey yall, been a while (just got back from a deployment) 

I ended up purchasing this Morgan and a few others, looking to see if i am getting better at this! I compared it to other photos and graded it at MS62? am I even close?

Again, thank you all for your assistance, and patience!

1B2905D5-74C5-4608-89AD-F3A1B1A26666_1_101_o.jpeg

Looks AU to me. Can’t say for certain from the pics but I think I see wear. Something about it just doesn’t look right to me. Which probably means nothing I only listen to myself half the time. I am wondering if there wasn’t a past cleaning and re-toning on the obverse. For sure get other opinions and take it with a grain of salt. 

I agree, the toning of authentic toning usually runs off the coin doesn’t it? As if another similar coin laid on top of it for a long time. There are scratches on the toning at 10 and 11 o’clock, plus bag marks and scratches in the field and what’s going on in front of libertys nose? Scratches behind the braid. That’s just the obverse . The reverse has deep scratches under the arrows and what are those tick marks under the motto?

Imho, fake toning after cleaning AU

The photos are to far away to see it clear but it looks like it was cleaned on the obverse at one time or another and then someone put it in the freezer to tone away the evidence.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, B.L.21 said:

graded it at MS62?

It's always great to see someone take enough interest in our hobby to learn the art of grading.  It might just wind up saving you a lot of money.  Myself I do not believe that I, or anyone else can give an exact grade taken from an internet photo.  Now a days when we send a coin into NGC or PCGS you have about 4 trained quality graders looking at your coin before a final grade is rendered.  Just saying.  Hope some of this was of a little help.  Pay attention to what Woods & Mohawk have said.

When you say "deployment" do you mean Military?

Edited by Alex in PA.