• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1988 Quarter

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When exposed to chemical contaminants the copper core of clad coins will erode more rapidly than the more durable copper-nickel outer layers, leaving a sunken center. It's just environmental damage.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:24 AM, Greenstang said:

Not quite sure what you are referring to, the lettering cannot change during the striking of the coins.

Can you be a little more specific about what “doesn’t look right.”

You know how quarters where struck on Canadian coins like the 1970 one the lettering on the side and along his chin you see those marks its not damaged its like some type of design was pressed on it got it look at in Georgia at a coin shop he told me it would be worth getting it graded

You’re referring to 1941 Canadian quarter that was used to make 1970 proof US quarter ? That was a one of a kind coin . I’ve read an article on that coin once … I’m curious to see a better picture of your coin front and back clear pictures … But don’t get your hopes high I highly doubt that what you have , some dealers don’t know what they are talking about either some sadly just have poor eye sight , you could have struck through coin or die clash or just good old environmental damage that’s playing tricks on your eyes and dealer’s eyes as well … whatever you do don’t just send it off for grading right now … you have about 10-15 as well as 100 people on here examining your coin we’ll be able tell you what you got , instead of just getting an opinion from 1 dealer send coin in grading find out you paid a lot money and grading company doesn’t see what you were told that a dealer sees . Just my 2 cents on the thoughts  

On 9/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, VKurtB said:

Damage. Full stop. Don’t waste the BCW holder. 

This exactly.  If I had that quarter, it'd be going into a Laundromat washer or dryer if the machine would accept it.