• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 penny
1 1

45 posts in this topic

Were the proofs made in philly at the time? I thought they would have come from SF.

On 9/22/2021 at 8:46 PM, Mohawk said:

From the pics, the top one looks like a proof and the bottom is a business strike.  No SMS coins there.  The "1964 SMS" issue is a controversial one but regardless of the controversy, a "1964 SMS", if it exists at all, isn't going to be anything you would just find out in the wild.  You have a perfectly normal proof and a perfectly normal business strike.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

@MohawkIt seems I confirmed your info. I should have read all the responses before commenting myself. Ooops!

No worries Karen!! The way I see it, you just took part in building a consensus!

On 9/23/2021 at 6:37 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

@TridmnI did not look myself, but there is an FS Variety DDR for the 1964 that you might look for. 

Ty Karen. I certainly will. Either way though they are beautiful coins. Probably keep them even if there is an error. 2 64s full red. Couldn't ask for much more from just 2 pennies. Especially that year, plus to have 2 different strikes, just makes my day

On 9/24/2021 at 1:47 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

@TridmnYes Sir, they are awfully pretty. Bright Red! I would probably put them into a binder for keeps myself. 

That's where they intend to go, more or less. Have my coins I am keeping indefinitely in the plastic cases so they don't move. Have to keep the past preserved right?

I have never seen a business strike as nice as this one, for its age. Along with a proof for that matter unless it was still in plastic or in a small showcase box set online. Hope this time I asked the right questions, because I recieved all positive responses.

On 9/25/2021 at 3:38 AM, Tridmn said:

I have never seen a business strike as nice as this one, for its age. Along with a proof for that matter unless it was still in plastic or in a small showcase box set online. Hope this time I asked the right questions, because I recieved all positive responses.

See how that works? Good job. Enjoy your abfab finds and keep on hunting.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:34 AM, RWB said:

There are no "1964 SMS" coins - that myth is simply a play by some greedy sellers to take your money.

1964 was the last year of the silver Proof set in the manila envelope.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, J P Mashoke said:

1964 was the last year of the silver Proof set in the manila envelope.

Do you not mean last year for steel strike; or am I mistaken? It is I very well maybe mistaken. I was just wanting clarification please and ty.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:18 AM, Tridmn said:

Do you not mean last year for steel strike; or am I mistaken? It is I very well maybe mistaken. I was just wanting clarification please and ty.

After the 1964 silver proof set in cellophane wrapper there was the 65 clad in the same type wrapper. Then 66 and 67 SMS set in the straight plastic holders and then the 1968 clad proof set was the first rectangle plastic holders  

On 9/27/2021 at 5:26 PM, J P Mashoke said:

After the 1964 silver proof set in cellophane wrapper there was the 65 clad in the same type wrapper. Then 66 and 67 SMS set in the straight plastic holders and then the 1968 clad proof set was the first rectangle plastic holders  

Dont you mean steel? I've never heard of a silver penny at all.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:18 AM, Tridmn said:

Zinc coated steel was used only in 1943.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:00 PM, RWB said:

Zinc coated steel was used only in 

No actual silver for penny correct? That's my question 

Edited by Tridmn

On 9/22/2021 at 8:46 PM, Mohawk said:

From the pics, the top one looks like a proof and the bottom is a business strike.  No SMS coins there.  The "1964 SMS" issue is a controversial one but regardless of the controversy, a "1964 SMS", if it exists at all, isn't going to be anything you would just find out in the wild.  You have a perfectly normal proof and a perfectly normal business strike.

According to what I have researched there were no business strike for that particular year.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:39 PM, Tridmn said:

According to what I have researched there were no business strike for that particular year.

According to my intel and reliable sources..... there were approximately 2,648,575,000 business strikes for the 1964 Philly Lincoln Cent. Of course.... they may be off a little bit.  

Edited by GBrad

On 10/14/2021 at 12:50 AM, GBrad said:

According to my intel and reliable sources..... there were approximately 2,648,575,000 business strikes for the 1964 Philly Lincoln Cent. Of course.... they may be off a little bit.  

Yes one of the higher amount or pennies struck of any year up to that point. 64-D was even higher. I think the most pennies ever was 1982 Large Date with 10 Billion coins. LoL we never see those here.