• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More details on "Altered Surface" grading

5 posts in this topic

Good morning, just joined the hobby, and submitted my first coin. To much dismay, it received an altered surface grade. Is there any way to have more details on why it received this grade? I'd like to be able to have it for conversation with the seller I bought it from.

Thank you.

• Administrator

Hello Slewis,

Thank you.  The coin's surfaces have been extensively manipulated. For example, a Proof coin that has been altered to appear to be a Mint State coin, or vice versa. This alteration can often make authentication impossible.  There isn't anything that can be done to correct this.

Thank you,

Lisa

On 9/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, LISA B said:

Hello Slewis,

Thank you.  The coin's surfaces have been extensively manipulated. For example, a Proof coin that has been altered to appear to be a Mint State coin, or vice versa. This alteration can often make authentication impossible.  There isn't anything that can be done to correct this.

Thank you,

Lisa

I understand that, is there a way to get further description of how it was manipulated? For example, whizzing, dipping, etc?

On 9/20/2021 at 6:11 PM, S Lewis said:

I understand that, is there a way to get further description of how it was manipulated? For example, whizzing, dipping, etc?

Unfortunately that's pretty much the only words or description you'll receive, it's not exactly a great assist for those that are trying to learn regarding this issue. Needless to say somewhere my same question was asked here some time ago....with no defined response.

Have received a number of altered surface returned medals! NGC uses my book to identify said medals. Talked with grader and the bottom line is that either someone tried to resurface the coin or the grader judged that the existing surface had been changed in some way. Like others have written, no "definitive" answer to why a specific medal or coin was judged "altered." My default position is to carefully look over the coin/medal with a 10X loop in direct sunlight and if I have any doubt--do not submit! Good luck!