• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

?s on the 2021 American Silver Eagle Reverse Proof 2 coin designer set

18 posts in this topic

Im new to coin collecting but have a few I got when my father passed away. Basically I dont know much but im learning. I bought one of the Silver Eagle 2 coin reverse proof designer coin sets. Of course I dont have it yet as the US mint hasnt mailed it but when I get it;

1; should I send them to either NGC or PCGS to be graded  

2: if so which, NGC or PCGS, should I send them to?

3; Do I need to send them unopened in the US Mint box as it is when I receive it or will that matter?

I have never sent any coins to be graded and slabbed but have a few I plan to post on here soon to get the opinions of those who know more than I do on whether I should send them or not. Several are Eagles, one very clean 1962 Franklin and quite alot of other US coins my dad bought from a dealer at some time or another. I wont flood the chats with alot of coin posts in a large rush as I know there are others out there who are seeking the same educated advice I am.

Thanks for your time, Mike

Welcome Mike. 

First the general guidance you will get is to leave it the way you receive it. With these if you get a 70 you increase the price but a 69 brings less than in the original packaging and you are out fees. With it being a cr@p shoot the smart money is on leaving as is.

With that said many collectors send them in every day. I won’t fault you if you want to submit as a personal preference. Either NGC or PCGS will be fine. They are the top two for sure and it will be a preference, such as which slab you like more, honestly. The outcome will be about the same. 

I would send them in the original capsule they will come in. Leave it protected for transport and minimize exposure to air. If you want the packaging back indicate that on the submission form. 

Edited by Woods020

Welcome and congratulations on making the proper choice of stopping by here for some advice. 

Please post your pictures. Do your best to send good pictures of both sides.   

The following is my opinion and based on a dozen ase experiences. I leave all mint coins, proof, multi-coin sets , burnished,in the OGP.  Original government packaging.  I don’t trust that I will receive the grade I want with out multiple submissions. I just wait and snag one later.   PM me and I’ll share a secret for scoring on eBay.  

Thank you all for your advice and welcoming me to the forum. I wasnt clear in my original post but I have no plans to sell any of the coins I have. Based on the advice given here I see no reason to send off the 2 coin set to be graded nor any of the others I have. I will post a few pictures tomorrow for you to see and I think I will start with Morgans.

Again thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to seeing your collections and sharing my own.

Have a great day, Mike

I only send in coins That are a “hot series” or high MS coin for my collection mostly (classics or world coins) not the modern stuff … Most modern coin grading is overrated !!! The only modern stuff I collect is maybe bullion with nice designs that doesn’t even warrant needing to be send in for grading … if I were to devote my collecting hobby to “modern graded coins” I would buy them already slabbed but a dealer …. Sending modern stuff is like I might as well empty my pockets at end of week and send in my spare change for grading pay a huge grading /handling/shipping fee bill for coins that nobody will probably not buy anyways when they can find their own in pocket change or bank rolls. 

most of time I just buy a coin that is already graded from a dealer save myself a lot time sitting around waiting for coin while it being graded paying all fees and blah blah blah … in fact I won’t send in coins for grading unless I have 10-12 coins I feel might warrant grading even then I think twice sometimes third time thinking about it and say Nah ! They go back in 2x2 remain raw . Save my money buy more coins 

LOL, I am so glad I asked yall for advice on this subject. I had looked at the costs of having coins graded and I was pretty surprised at the expense involved. I had never really thought about collecting coins until I started buying silver here and there for stacking. Then I noticed I could buy Krugerands and Maple Leafs for just a couple bucks more than rounds. That got me interested in the Eagles which led me to really look at my dads old coin collection where I really looked at his Eagles, Morgans, Peaces, Indian Heads, Mercurys, etc etc. So here I am trying to learn more about the coins I do have and I found I enjoy the history behind them and that makes me want to add to what I have.

On 9/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

LOL, I am so glad I asked yall for advice on this subject. I had looked at the costs of having coins graded and I was pretty surprised at the expense involved. I had never really thought about collecting coins until I started buying silver here and there for stacking. Then I noticed I could buy Krugerands and Maple Leafs for just a couple bucks more than rounds. That got me interested in the Eagles which led me to really look at my dads old coin collection where I really looked at his Eagles, Morgans, Peaces, Indian Heads, Mercurys, etc etc. So here I am trying to learn more about the coins I do have and I found I enjoy the history behind them and that makes me want to add to what I have.

Very cool, Mike!! It sounds like you're off to a great start and you're getting involved in the hobby for all of the right reasons.  If you keep going like you have been so far, asking good questions and taking the answers you receive to heart, you're going to do very well.  If you have questions about your other coins, take some photos and post them up on the boards.  A good rule of thumb is to post each coin in it's own individual post.  Otherwise, it can get confusing.  But, if you do that, I'm sure that we could help you out!

I have a 63 Franklin that I took a pic of and the lighting was just perfect. It came out like that picture did where it almost looks like a drawing instead of a coin. After seeing your picture I was thinking it must be so easy to mar a reverse proof coin and change a PR70 to a PR69.

Are reverse proof coins harder to keep in mint condition?

On 9/17/2021 at 8:52 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Here’s the best pictures of the real deal. 17C39FA4-2D11-44C9-9520-5B97F18A67A5.thumb.jpeg.55105bc32d41b3e2c4badf42ff835fd5.jpeg

They look pretty good...in my opinion, the Type 2 is a BIG improvement over the old design in every way imaginable.  Still not an ASE guy, but I think I should be able to turn my set into some Faustinas pretty easily :) 

On 9/15/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

Im new to coin collecting but have a few I got when my father passed away. Basically I dont know much but im learning. I bought one of the Silver Eagle 2 coin reverse proof designer coin sets. Of course I dont have it yet as the US mint hasnt mailed it but when I get it;

1; should I send them to either NGC or PCGS to be graded  

2: if so which, NGC or PCGS, should I send them to?

3; Do I need to send them unopened in the US Mint box as it is when I receive it or will that matter?

I have never sent any coins to be graded and slabbed but have a few I plan to post on here soon to get the opinions of those who know more than I do on whether I should send them or not. Several are Eagles, one very clean 1962 Franklin and quite alot of other US coins my dad bought from a dealer at some time or another. I wont flood the chats with alot of coin posts in a large rush as I know there are others out there who are seeking the same educated advice I am.

Thanks for your time, Mike

Hobby lobby has gloves in their coin collection section for hobbyists. With those wear gloves. They will immediately begin to get a slight tone compared with an untouched one. I have some gloves but I honestly don’t take my own advice on it much myself with coins but with silver eagles I don’t touch them any more. Always gloves on those especially since they are an investment. They get a hint of yellow right away and compared to an untouched one the difference is noticeable to the naked eye. 

Edited by kellyt

you can join PCGS and you would get up to 8 submissions for free, Not many collectors either dont know or dont care for graded coins. i personally dont buy silver moderns unless from

the US Mint or other private mints. i do Buy from Ebay as long as the grading numbers check out. There are so many people that are dishonest about what they have , ungraded coins may be fake. thats the benefit of Grading. Nobody wants to buy coins and have fakes sent to them. If you decide to sell them its easier IMO.

On 6/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, Bobmil14 said:

you can join PCGS and you would get up to 8 submissions for free,

I wonder what would happen if you went on the PCGS site and suggested a member join NGC.

Bad form, dude. (tsk)