• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 S 25c Proof Details

4 posts in this topic

Isn't this one of the 82 & 83 coins that's all the rage right now? And it has a small scratch. So NGC won't give it a grade. Why, I've had much more damage done to a coin and still NGC graded it. From what I can tell this coin is uncirculated with proof like details. So if they where to give this coin a grade they would have to say it is a mint error as well. Being uncirculated and in mint packaging apon arrival to the NGC facility. For some reason they are not willing to take that stance. If a coin comes from the a US mint in the mints own sealed packaging doesn't it have to be a mint error no matter how the scratch got there? It had to be from the mint. Or,  and I don't want to say it. But maybe just maybe it happened at NGC?

On 9/2/2021 at 3:54 AM, Creed101 said:

If a coin comes from the a US mint in the mints own sealed packaging doesn't it have to be a mint error no matter how the scratch got there?

No. Once a die strikes a coin, the minting process is finished. Anything that happens to the coin after that (other than being struck a second time) is considered damage - even if it happens while the coin is being ejected from the machine. So, if a coin is dropped, scratched, bent, sneezed on, or anything else - even while still in the mint building, even while being packaged by the mint - it is still considered damage.