• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this slab look suspicious?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I posted this on Ask NGC, however, I was curious what other people thought. As this is a 2008 ASE I’m not sure if there were obvious slab defects when grading and slabbing done long ago. My original post is: 

Unfortunately I only have front view of slab. Side edges are not smooth, but has areas that are rough as if it was melted. Frontal view has noticeable cloudy ares on left and right sides. Could this have been tampered with? 

404AAAAD-4C7B-4768-B63C-8FEB80D92EB6.jpeg

532A9D57-EDB7-4FC4-ABA3-4ABE02831F8D.jpeg

On 8/30/2021 at 8:25 PM, Walter Holmes said:

I posted this on Ask NGC, however, I was curious what other people thought. As this is a 2008 ASE I’m not sure if there were obvious slab defects when grading and slabbing done long ago. My original post is: 

Unfortunately I only have front view of slab. Side edges are not smooth, but has areas that are rough as if it was melted. Frontal view has noticeable cloudy ares on left and right sides. Could this have been tampered with? 

404AAAAD-4C7B-4768-B63C-8FEB80D92EB6.jpeg

532A9D57-EDB7-4FC4-ABA3-4ABE02831F8D.jpeg

It looks as if it may have been resealed. It's one of "only" 16,178 PF70 2008 ASE's graded by NGC.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/30/2021 at 9:30 PM, VKurtB said:

It looks as if it may have been resealed. It's one of "only" 16,178 PF70 2008 ASE's graded by NGC.

I purchased this with a number of other slabs. Upon examining it, the corners and sides just didn’t look or feel right. It came from a reputable dealer. My first thought was the coin is either counterfeit or was substituted with another coin. I don’t know. Should I send it in to be reslabbed and/or graded?

On 8/30/2021 at 8:51 PM, Walter Holmes said:

I purchased this with a number of other slabs. Upon examining it, the corners and sides just didn’t look or feel right. It came from a reputable dealer. My first thought was the coin is either counterfeit or was substituted with another coin. I don’t know. Should I send it in to be reslabbed and/or graded?

Check out how much a NGC reslab is. I have a few candidates as well. I came home from Rosemont with three new 50 slab boxes. Time to redistribute.

On 8/30/2021 at 10:01 PM, VKurtB said:

Check out how much a NGC reslab is. I have a few candidates as well. I came home from Rosemont with three new 50 slab boxes. Time to redistribute.

It would appear the re-holder charge is $13 USD plus $10 handling fee plus shipping. This is providing it is currently in an NGC slab

Can you split the holder at all in any spot?   The sonic sealer does indeed melt the plastic halves together so what I see in the photo is not all that unusual.   But a side view would be needed to say for sure.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:36 PM, Walter Holmes said:

It would appear the re-holder charge is $13 USD plus $10 handling fee plus shipping. This is providing it is currently in an NGC slab

Sounds like waiting for others to spread out those fixed costs and shipping.

Yep, looks ok, or at least nothing looks suspicious in the picture. The sonic sealer "welds" the two halves together, melting the plastic, which can cause the plastic to turn opaque and become rough or jagged. As long as the coin looks good, which the obverse does, and the label is legit, which it seems to be, I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

The sonic sealer does indeed melt the plastic halves together so

The coin buf is correct.  if you run your fingers down the edges you will feel noticible melted areas along the seam

On 8/30/2021 at 11:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

Can you split the holder at all in any spot?   The sonic sealer does indeed melt the plastic halves together so what I see in the photo is not all that unusual.   But a side view would be needed to say for sure.travrr red long