• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little Peace dollar challenge
1 1

41 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 5:24 AM, Jason Abshier said:

are people really that bad at seeing the damage, flaws , grading done to a crappy coin?

There are some who wouldn't accept that if you stood over their shoulder and instructed them.  Then there are those who just don't care.  (The 'More Money Than Brains Crowd')

are people really that bad at seeing the damage, flaws , grading done to a crappy coin?

Sadly, most people have limited critical thinking skills and only superficial visual exception recognition. When combined with ignorance and gullibility, P. T. Barnum was being very generous in his description of people.

How is it even possible someone can sell junk like that on eBay are people really that bad at seeing the damage, flaws , grading done to a crappy coin? I find it hard to believe

There are some people that will only see what they want to see in all areas of life, and this seems especially true of coins.  Think of how many people show up in the Newbie thread thinking their parking lot coin is some rare error and the dig in their heels or try harder to sell their point of view to us when they're told that it's a damaged parking lot coin.  I think that this comes into play here as well.......if someone wants that garbage Peace Dollar to be a real DMPL, then it will become so in their mind and if there are more than one of those seeing it on eBay, then it will get bid up.  Sooner or later, though, the "winner" of that auction will be in for a reality check and a rude awakening......if they choose to believe the poor dealer or other numismatist who has to deliver the bad news.

For those of you just tuning in, with less than 48 hours left, 5 bidders bid a 1923 Peace Dollar up to $28.10 from an initial $9.99 with 13 bids, on a site replete with red flags and photos of which our own @RWBaccurately described as immunized against magnification due to out-of-focus fuzziness.

I had wanted to acquire this piece Just Bob justly dismissed as junk silver but with nearly two days left, the ultimate cost already exceeds $33., with postage.  And unknown to those who understandably saw little point in investigating the matter further, the seller's reputation is quite good and has a vast inventory of similar items. To echo Jimmy "the Gent" Burke (Robert DeNiro) in "Goodfellas," "What's this world coming to?" [before Tommy shot Spyder in his foot.]    🐓 

Note:  As of 10 p.m. E.D.T., Friday, September 3, 2021, with only hours remaining, the bid is an astounding $52. + postage.

If you were already outbid, and feel you missed out on something truly special, read it and weep.

I can't wait to see the winning bid.    🐓 

On 9/3/2021 at 10:06 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Note:  As of 10 p.m. E.D.T., Friday, September 3, 2021, with only hours remaining, the bid is an astounding $52. + postage.

If you were already outbid, and feel you missed out on something truly special, read it and weep.

I can't wait to see the winning bid.    🐓 

I, for one, am crying my eyes out over here.  The winning bid should really be something special.  I can't believe it's up to $52.

Final Note:  Due to time zone differences, $52. was the successful bid.

Seven different bidders placed 17 bids -- and in an eyeblink, it was over.  I anticipated a last minute flurry of bids but according to the progression provided, all bidding stopped two days ago when someone decided to break away from the pack and he in turn was outbid by someone who was determined to have the last word on the matter. To think, this "junk silver" with no special attributes according to comments volunteered on this thread has cost the "winner" 3x melt value!  Where is truth-in-advertising?  🤔 

On 9/3/2021 at 11:04 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Final Note:  Due to time zone differences, $52. was the successful bid.

Seven different bidders placed 17 bids -- and in an eyeblink, it was over.  I anticipated a last minute flurry of bids but according to the progression provided, all bidding stopped two days ago when someone decided to break away from the pack and he in turn was outbid by someone who was determined to have the last word on the matter. To think, this "junk silver" with no special attributes according to comments volunteered on this thread has cost the "winner" 3x melt value!  Where is truth-in-advertising?  🤔 

$52 for what is now a polished lump of 90% silver alloy worth $19.14 per Coinflation.  Wow.  What a deal. :roflmao:

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/31/2021 at 9:26 PM, MarkFeld said:

You won’t get the coin for $20.

Nor $25., $30., $35., $40, $45., or even $50!  Now that the "winner" has won, what exactly does he have?  And let's not forget that $4.95 postage adding insult to injury to the winning $52. which was clearly "bet" to separate all the losers from the serious contenders.

Kudos to the OP, @RWB who first brought this item to our attention and, in so doing, encouraged us to abandon the pack mentality and consider the facts.  If you listen closely enough you can hear the guffaws of VKurtB to which this is simply history repeating itself: ".... told you so!"  The only sad [and dangerous] part of this episode will be the soon-to-be-owner's desperate attempts to recoup his "investment" to which the seller ominously provided an eta of 9/11.  Funny how never having placed a bid, I became an instant winner, and never even knew it.🏆 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing word.

On 9/4/2021 at 7:57 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Funny how never having placed a bid, I became an instant winner, and never even knew it.

Using one's brain usually produces an instant winner.

Edited by RWB