• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got a box of 2021 P Kennedy Half Dollars at the bank....
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I got a box a $500 half dollars at the bank.  I was expecting mixed dates and a silver half.  I got a full box of 2021-P uncirculated half dollars.  Beautiful.

Article in coin world says this has happened to a few CRH (who knows how many):  https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2021-p-kennedy-half-dollars-now-being-found-in-circulation

Is this pretty common now days?  First time for me to get new Kennedy Half Dollars.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:29 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I got a box a $500 half dollars at the bank.  I was expecting mixed dates and a silver half.  I got a full box of 2021-P uncirculated half dollars.  Beautiful.

Article in coin world says this has happened to a few CRH (who knows how many):  https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2021-p-kennedy-half-dollars-now-being-found-in-circulation

Is this pretty common now days?  First time for me to get new Kennedy Half Dollars.

Not quite common, but there was an announcement that 2021 Kennedy halves were coming into the banking system.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:40 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

So, considering I got them for face.... is it worth keeping a few rolls?  I don't want $500 in 2021-P Kennedy halves, but seems I should keep something.  What would this group do with them; curious...

I would put em up for auction on Ebay there folks ive noticed paying stupid money for BU rolls rite now.. And id keep a roll for my self..JS

I can't see holding onto these for an extended period of time. You might be able to make a few bucks if you try selling some right now, hold them beyond this year and.... :( 

I could purchase a 2021-P or D roll on ebay for under $20 with free shipping right now. For the average seller I think the selling fees are 13%, shipping has to be at least a couple bucks plus shipping materials.... How many would you sell and how long would you have to keep them to sell out? Sometimes it's just not worth it.

U.S. Mint sales figures indicate that over 1.9 million P & D Half Dollars have been minted, presumably it's close to a 50/50 split, add to that however many of both were ordered for circulation and it's just not that rare.

On 9/4/2021 at 2:57 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I can't see holding onto these for an extended period of time. You might be able to make a few bucks if you try selling some right now, hold them beyond this year and.... :( 

I could purchase a 2021-P or D roll on ebay for under $20 with free shipping right now. For the average seller I think the selling fees are 13%, shipping has to be at least a couple bucks plus shipping materials.... How many would you sell and how long would you have to keep them to sell out? Sometimes it's just not worth it.

U.S. Mint sales figures indicate that over 1.9 million P & D Half Dollars have been minted, presumably it's close to a 50/50 split, add to that however many of both were ordered for circulation and it's just not that rare.

I'm with Mike......they're not worth doing anything with, really.  By the time you list them up on eBay, pay your seller's fees and get the shipping materials, you're probably looking at either a wash or losing money.  If it were me, I'd dump them.