• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Olive Oil Soak
1 1

7 posts in this topic

You probably don’t remember, but I posted a grading question on a good shape cent with some tarnishing(I think?) Anyway, you guys suggested that I olive oil soak it. So here she is! Let you guys know how it turns out. Quick question before you go: how long should I soak it for? Thanks and wish me luck!! 50 CENTS IS ON THE LINE!!image.thumb.jpg.b5bc637be5989425b81f03a99048a10d.jpg

Edited by CoinsRCool78

I love it when someone very new listens to the advice here Good job. I have never tried this but others sure have. How long to leave it?  Until it looks better, not being a wise guy, as I recall leave it a day maybe rinse and check can always put it back.  I better stop. I really just wanted to let you know it’s refreshing when someone listens. Thanks 🤠 James

I've never soaked a coin in olive for tarnish. I have soaked a flying eagle cent I have that had verdigris on it. I think I had it soaking for about 6 months. It helped, but didn't remove all of it.  Olive oil is a long process so be patient.  

Edited by bsshog40

Is that the coin that had the stains on the obverse, and spots on the reverse, by "AMERICA"? (No, I didn't remember - I looked up the original post.;)) It will probably take several months to see some difference. And, even then, it probably won't remove the discoloration.

An olive oil soak will not hurt the coin, but it is very unlikely to be of any help given the problems this coin has.   Check it in 3 months, by then I doubt that you will see any change but the oil may have started to go rancid and need to be changed.

If anyone suggests you add vinegar, don’t forget a bit of finely chopped oregano.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/29/2021 at 1:31 PM, Coinbuf said:

An olive oil soak will not hurt the coin,

Considering this coin looks like it is unc and possibly a SMS an extended soak just might hurt the coin.  The reason an oil soak can sometimes help with verdigris is because it is slightly acidic and the acid works to break down the verdigris.  But those acids can also have an effect on the copper itself.  Old copper with an EXTENDED olive oil soak can start to develop a slight pinkish color.  But those coins have a protective patina, this coin does not.