• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New medal arrived today. FDR 4th term US Mint series

5 posts in this topic

When NARA re-opens, which has now been delayed, I'll check the production and sales figures. This and the previous versions were standard US Mint products - part of the Presidential Series - and sold without restriction. However, this one was available only for 3 months, so it will be interesting to learn the quantity sold. Issue price was either $1.50 or $3.00, if I remember correctly. (I'll probably write a short article so that the information can get into published form for future reference.)

Edited by RWB

On 8/27/2021 at 8:45 PM, RWB said:

Arrived in perfect condition - USPS. The medal was withdrawn when FDR died in April 1945.

FRD 1945 comp-sm.jpg

Probably one of the nicer profile depictions seen on a coin/medal/commemorative and The Rev eagle gives the appearance of "hit me, I can take it"  
Very nice eye appeal !

This is the original 1933 Presidential List medal by John Sinnock. The work is commonplace and without power or emotive presence. This portrait could have been Hoover, or Coolidge, or president of the local bank.... Compare to the 2nd 1933 version (first post) which was still in use in 1945. Evidently, it required some pushing from Director Ross to get Sinnock to do his best. (The 1946 dime is another example of Sinnock requiring outside encouragement.)

fdr-1933-mint-medal-merged-1st version.jpg

Edited by RWB