• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible record 1886 Type1 Brown Indian Head Cent
2 2

69 posts in this topic

This coin is truly stunning and is head and shoulders better than any I have seen of this date and designation. No it isn't a proof coin although the strike would make you think so, Incredible color and luster. Near flawless. I have looked at the highest graded of this date and designation and this blows it away. I'm getting ready to send it in.  Any thoughts.

IMG_3725 (3).JPG

IMG_3729 (2).JPG

I have a thought but you're not going to like it.......the top grade for a brown 1886 Type 1 at NGC is a single MS 67 BN.  I don't think that the spots on the obverse of your coin will let it reach that grade.  That said, though, I'll gladly let someone more versed in this series chime in on whether I am correct in my assessment or not.

At any rate, welcome to the forum!!

Edited by Mohawk

Those two small spots are it. Look at the 67 that was graded. It has nowhere near the luster strike or color of this one. Those two little dots. could not bring this coin down that much. Personally the graded 67 looks way over graded to me. It is in an old holder and graded many years ago. My opinion of course. I have been dealing with Indians for about 30 years.

On 8/27/2021 at 12:13 AM, Ron Smith said:

Those two small spots are it. Look at the 67 that was graded. It has nowhere near the luster strike or color of this one. Those two little dots. could not bring this coin down that much. Personally the graded 67 looks way over graded to me. It is in an old holder and graded many years ago. My opinion of course. I have been dealing with Indians for about 30 years.

Spots can absolutely kill the grade on copper coins.  I know this from experience working in a brick and mortar shop and submitting coins there as well as submitting other copper coins on my own.  You asked for thoughts and I shared mine, and that's honestly what I think.  I just wanted to share so that maybe I could help you avoid disappointment if you send this coin in to NGC.  I honestly have no interest in looking up the MS 67 as this is not an area of numismatics that interests me.  But I could be wrong, and I wish you luck with your coin.  I'm sure someone with more expertise and interest in Indians will chime in though.  I'd be happy to be wrong here.

Edited by Mohawk

I agree on the 1855 cent. The "pure copper" used at that time (from Crocker Brothers, Corp.) has noticeable impurities, so it does not "age" the same as copper we see today. Every batch of planchets from Crocker Bros. was slightly different in composition. This can be very helpful in authentication - and a very simple way to show original 1840s half-cents from later novodels ("restrikes") from 1869.

Hi. The luster on the 1855 is extremely high. The pics don't do it justice and there is some nice flashy red coming through on the reverse very original hard to see in the photos so the odds of it being recolored don't seem too high. A recolored coin would look more dull and I doubt they would recolor just one side. The patina on this one is really super.  

On 8/27/2021 at 12:04 PM, Ron Smith said:

Hi. The luster on the 1855 is extremely high. The pics don't do it justice and there is some nice flashy red coming through on the reverse very original hard to see in the photos so the odds of it being recolored don't seem too high. A recolored coin would look more dull and I doubt they would recolor just one side. The patina on this one is really super.  

Obviously, I’m not viewing the coin in hand, but the color of both sides looks off in the pictures. And many recolored coins look plenty bright/lustrous. 

On 8/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, Ron Smith said:

A couple of different shots

IMG_2032 (2).JPG

IMG_2035 (4).JPG

That looks better, but I can’t unsee what I saw in the previous images and it still looks a bit off to me.😉

Perhaps the color is fine - I hope so. Best of luck.

Good luck with your submissions, I hope you will stop back and update us with your results.  I'm questioning a couple myself, however trying to judge surfaces and even color from photos can be tricky and even more so when in flips.

On 8/27/2021 at 12:32 AM, Ron Smith said:

Here is the 67. Lifeless nowhere near the strike luster or color. Which one would you want. This one even looks blotchy 

lf (2).jpg

lf (3).jpg

Which one would I want?  Me personally?  Neither one, to be perfectly honest.  If I had either one, I'd sell it and put the funds into my Roman coin collection.  However, and you're not going to like this again......I do think the MS 67 example does look nicer, insofar as I can evaluate it from the photos provided.  But that's just going on photos on a computer......in hand, it could be a completely different story.  But, that said again, best of luck with your submission.  

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/27/2021 at 1:12 PM, Mohawk said:

Which one would I want?  Me personally?  Neither one, to be perfectly honest.  If I had either one, I'd sell it and put the funds into my Roman coin collection.  However, and you're not going to like this again......I do think the MS 67 example does look nicer, insofar as I can evaluate it from the photos provided.  But that's just going on photos on a computer......in hand, it could be a completely different story.  But, that said again, best of luck with your submission.  

What about the MS67 looks nicer to you? 

On 8/27/2021 at 2:16 PM, MarkFeld said:

What about the MS67 looks nicer to you? 

Well, first off, I don't see spots like on the OPs coin.  I really don't like those spots on the OPs coin. They're the first thing my eye is drawn to when I see the OPs coin.....and that's not a good thing. Secondly, and this is just from the photos posted, which as you know aren't ideal for proper evaluation, I like the color better on the MS 67.  And, to me personally, the MS 67 is just more appealing....I just like its look better.  As far as strike goes, both the OPs coin and the MS 67 look about equal, so that's not a factor in my feelings here.  But, like I said before, it could be a completely different situation were I to have the coins in hand.

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/27/2021 at 1:20 PM, Mohawk said:

Well, first off, I don't see spots like on the OPs coin.  I really don't like those spots on the OPs coin.  Secondly, and this is just from the photos posted, which as you know aren't ideal for proper evaluation, I like the color better on the MS 67.  And, to me personally, the MS 67 is just more appealing....I just like its look better.  As far as strike goes, both the OPs coin and the MS 67 look about equal, so that's not a factor in my feelings here.  But, like I said before, it could be a completely different situation were I to have the coins in hand.

Thank you. I feel as though I don’t really have much of an idea regarding what the 67 looks like.

Here is a 66 Variety 2 next to mine. Sorry guys you can say all you want. There is no way to say the coin on the left could look better than mine on the right. Luster strike and color far superior to the the one on the left. You could take pictures of the one on the left all day or put it under a scope and not change that. You take away those couple of little dots you have a 68. This coin is struck like a proof. You can go through the achieves in Heritage auctions and there are no business strike 86 browns that look like this. There are a couple of proofs that look similar that are brown 66 but that is it. Color luster and strike beat out two very minor spots.  

lf (15).jpg

lf.jpg

IMG_3520 (2).JPG

IMG_3529 (3).JPG

On 8/27/2021 at 4:04 PM, MarkFeld said:

None of us will be grading your coins, so you’re wasting your time trying to convince us of anything. That’s especially true when assessments must be made based upon images.

Yep.  We're definitely at a point where the OP needs to just submit the coins and prove us right or wrong. 

On 8/27/2021 at 3:10 PM, Mohawk said:

Yep.  We're definitely at a point where the OP needs to just submit the coins and prove us right or wrong. 

I don’t even consider it a matter of right or wrong, when assessing cons from images. We’re limited by what we’re presented with.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, MarkFeld said:

I don’t even consider it a matter of right or wrong, when assessing cons from images. We’re limited by what we’re presented with.

Very true and very good point.  Images can only give us so much information and they can be manipulated.  There is no substitute for having the coin in hand.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo