• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you’re young and love coins ? Think twice before getting married

18 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2021 at 11:30 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@MohawkMy wife is pretty easy going too . Between coin collecting and Gun collecting she never complained or questioned me about my hobbies. Thanks goodness my wife had her own hobbies with her friends, she not really into jewelry either. She spend a lot on rare exotic plants some of the plants cost a couple hundred dollars for a single plant … if my wife was ever to complain ? I’ll start complaining back at her about the plants ! Our house looks like a jungle inside probably a good 300-400 plants in here and down in basement in green house she built she sells some too sometimes her plants takes up more room than my coin collection vault and my gun vault so there have it she knows better not to complain  

On the other hand, you will never want for oxygen.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:54 PM, RWB said:

If your wife ever names one of her plants "Audrey II" - better evacuate. Your pop guns will be useless.

That’s a good one @RWB ! I remember that musical movie little shops of horrors that was a classic ! You just gave me an Idea for Christmas I’ll buy her an Audrey II replica . Hide it between her plants some where I’m sure she’d love it … Feed me ! 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 8/24/2021 at 8:15 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I can totally relate to this post. My wife gets tore up sometimes when i buy a coin i really like. 

Remember to find something special for her, too!

On 8/24/2021 at 8:15 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I can totally relate to this post. My wife gets tore up sometimes when i buy a coin i really like. 

@Hoghead515do you have kids too ? Years and years ago when my kids were little it was hard for me to buy nicer coins , I hated Christmas after Christmas 5 birthdays came in a row Jan, feb, March , April , may . Then my anniversary in June . Before I knew it Christmas was just about around corner again I was working 2 jobs back then too paying mortgage and car payment and putting food on the table . My kids are all grown up and out of the house except my daughter she 19 going on 20 … I’m able to collect the coins I want now … Hang in there ! 

when my wife looks at baby pictures she always asked me if I miss the kids being babies ? I replied back “lady I don’t miss the baby making days , it was a pure torture on my hobby life” 

On 8/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, Jason Abshier said:

@Hoghead515do you have kids too ? Years and years ago when my kids were little it was hard for me to buy nicer coins , I hated Christmas after Christmas 5 birthdays came in a row Jan, feb, March , April , may . Then my anniversary in June . Before I knew it Christmas was just about around corner again I was working 2 jobs back then too paying mortgage and car payment and putting food on the table . My kids are all grown up and out of the house except my daughter she 19 going on 20 … I’m able to collect the coins I want now … Hang in there ! 

when my wife looks at baby pictures she always asked me if I miss the kids being babies ? I replied back “lady I don’t miss the baby making days , it was a pure torture on my hobby life” 

I got one out in college. He been staying over there. He still lives with us when hes off tho. Then i got a younger one still in the nest. Our birthdays are also all lined up. Start in May , June, and end July. 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:11 AM, RWB said:

Neither coin nor gun will warmly snuggle with you on a cold winter night.

Nor will your wife when she finds out what you spent on that coin/gun.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, Jason Abshier said:

My kids are all grown up and out of the house except my daughter she 19 going on 20 … I’m able to collect the coins I want now … Hang in there ! 

Which is why so many collectors quit in their teens and come back to the hobby for good in their 40's or 50's, kids are gone, house is paid off, and you are settled into your career making decent money that can now spent on "luxuries".

On 8/22/2021 at 7:56 PM, Mohawk said:

This completely would not apply to my relationship.  If I went and spent a bunch on money on a diamond, my fiancée would tell me I was stupid for buying an overpriced piece of carbon.  However, she was extremely happy with the nice AU 1882 O/S Morgan Dollar I got her for her birthday.  She'd always pick a nice Morgan over a diamond any day and she'd definitely be in that coin shop with me. Definitely a keeper!

So you married up I understand ;)