• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1804 Draped Bust large cent

7 posts in this topic

Here's the thing......I'm kind of concerned about this coin because it seems to have the same cud as this fake does from Coinreplicas.com, along with other similarities to it.  I could be wrong, and I'll be the first guy to say I'm not well versed in early American copper varieties, so I'm going to hope that someone who is more versed than I chimes in.  Gradewise, if genuine, I'm going to say based on Photograde it's an AG-3.

1804 Draped Bust Large Cent Replica Coin

1804 Draped Bust Large Cent Replica Coin

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I won't comment on the authenticity of the OP's coin, but the presence of cuds on obverse and reverse is something seen on genuine 1804 in the 'c' die state: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/cents/draped-bust-cents-1796-1807/812980/

I had a long response typed out about die states, die markers, and Sheldon/Bowers-Whitman numbers around 9 hours ago, but I guess I failed to hit the "submit" button. Rather than re-type everything, I will just mention to the OP to check and see if the "0" in the date is directly opposite of the "O" in "OF." On the later die state coins (and maybe the earlier ones, too)  the dies were slightly rotated. This does not guarantee authenticity, but will let you know that it is likely a fake, if there is no rotation.

If the coin is, in fact, genuine, it is worth a few hundred dollars, even with the AG Details/Corrosion grade.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:42 PM, Just Bob said:

I had a long response typed out about die states, die markers, and Sheldon/Bowers-Whitman numbers around 9 hours ago, but I guess I failed to hit the "submit" button. Rather than re-type everything, I will just mention to the OP to check and see if the "0" in the date is directly opposite of the "O" in "OF." On the later die state coins (and maybe the earlier ones, too)  the dies were slightly rotated. This does not guarantee authenticity, but will let you know that it is likely a fake, if there is no rotation.

If the coin is, in fact, genuine, it is worth a few hundred dollars, even with the AG Details/Corrosion grade.

Oh thank you for jumping in there Bob.....I just wasn't up to this task fully!!

Edited by Mohawk

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The 0 to O relationship works only for altered date coins. An outright counterfeit could be made in the same alignment, provided that the manufacturer is aware of this peculiarity.

I wouldn't have it graded at all.  If not counterfeit it would be too low of a grade.  Guessing a "Details" G grade at best with "Corrosion" and "Scratched" for sure depending on if you send it to the cheaper grading services like ANACS or ICG.  They are not shy about listing 2 flaws on their labels.