• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper penny

31 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, from your photos this appears to be a fake these are made in China and can be bought for a couple of bucks.   Sadly we see this question posted all the time and not a single one has been real so far.     If you are truly convinced that this is real then you can certainly send it in to NGC for them to authenticate and slab it.   However my advice is not to waste your money doing so.

I'm with Coinbuf.......Chinese fake.  There are A LOT of these floating around out there now and they are massively more numerous than genuine 1943 bronze cents are. 

here is my 2 cents, for what it is worth. i would spend the money and send it in. what the hell, its only money !!. you will kick your self in 20 years if you don't.

look, the 1943 copper cent holds a "BIG" hole in my butt. that is the coin that got me started in this . I had it with appx 40 other wheat cents that I was saving from 1972.

in 2020 i joined NGC. I also found "YOU TUBE", that is when I found out I was holding real money. their may have been fake ones back then "1972, I DON'T KNOW".

All I do know is I put it in a bag with other change going to the bank, that was the last time I saw it. I did find out that it would have gone to ST Louis Mo. March 2020.

Yes I am letherneck1967 that just posted on here, two nights a go, on "my ugly 194??3 copper cent". I do thank every one that gave me advice on it. I know they are right !!..

I asked for advice on two steel 1943 I had. some of the same people on here told me they were replated, In my heart I knew they were right, and I sent them in anyway!.

YEEEEEP they are "REPLATED". GOOD LUCK!!. 

I have some concerns with the 3   There’s a feeling that I get when I can mark more than one problem. I’m at 1 & 1/2  so I’m with my fellow collectors. You could find a coin show and save some money find someone there to look at it and if it’s fake buy yourself a coin with the money you save.  Welcome 🤓🙀
Holy moly 🚩🚩🚩alert

My grandpa eyes (thanks coffee) see the “n” problem that’s not right. That’s 2&1/2 problems and confirmation. 🤓🙀

The li in liberty and just the whole looks of the lettering 🚩

Edited by James Zyskowski

ya know mike, after looking at your coin again and thinking of what others have said, about the "N". Not trying ta step on any toes here, but after all I am a highly trained "NEWBIE" with

an IQ way under 200. I would say the problem here is the "!, one"  and not the N. the "N" looks as tall as the rest of the letters. But the "!" looks like it is missing the top part ????.

Not even close. 1/43 of the date are all wrong. Look closely at yours with size, serifs, etc compared to an original 1943. You should start to see why this is a counterfeit pretty quickly.  5D2407B6-E9DE-4AE9-AF38-601BC6632364.thumb.jpeg.77d8eb01854a6bc0e8b5361c85815553.jpeg 

Edited by Woods020

well RWB and MikeyB17  I AIN'T JOKING. I am just saying my "NEWBIE" opinion. Do I have a time limit for my opinion ??  I can't believe that RWB is trying to 

intimidate me. You RWB have given me some good and sound advise, I respect what you have ta say and your vast knowledge. Was that you who pend a long thesis

today on how people need too act and send in good pictures and not "DISRESPECT" the opinion of you veterans giving up your free time too help us "Newbies".

That was well written and clear. If that was not you I am sorry to you and the scribe.

MikeB17 does not know that his cent is an "OBVIOUS FAKE". The picture was, well kind of bad. But he was advised too send in another "more clear" picture.

after he did that, I then put in my 2 cents and I stand by my 2cents. I just looked at it again and the bottom of the "I" lines up with the bottom of the first leg of the N.

The top of the i is shorter or below the top part of the N. Bottom line, NGC and all the others are in the business too make money. You know that. They don't give a 

HOOT ( this is not a word an old retired Marine uses), if all of the coins are fake. what is it too them. just like the two 1943 steel ones that you all told me they were

re-plated. I am sure the graders saw that right away with the naked eye. They sent them back with a note, telling me what a DUM A-- I was sending them in (HA HA).

Just kidding here. I still paid them up front, this is why they have people pay first.

Now, having money to waste. I don't think it is my place or any ones place too tell people not too waste their money. That is why I said what I did. Be happy spread 

that cash around man. the only money I have lost is joining NGC and having some (5 or 6) coins graded. What I think is nuts would be for "me" to pay $35.00 and more !!!!

for a 1 cent coin. But I know people on here do. I bet you have paid more than face value for a coin, is that your luxury

sorry ever one  for being  so long here. But RWB kind of "STEPT ON MY SPIT SHINE BOOTS". I still want you as a friend RWB.

Why so defensive leatherneck1967?

Your advice to have worthless obvious counterfeits authenticated is bad for new collectors and bad for the hobby. It's not helpful and can easily result in a potential collector giving up. These are simply truthful statements built on experience and much observation. Consider learning a lot more.

OK RWB and Oldhoopster , I give up. go ahead, gang up on me,:slapfight: I am a big old boy. I can take it.:roflmao::takeit:. I see you up there Mohawk..

one question for veterans..... at what point does a coin collector become a qualified NUMISMATIST ???. Can I be one next week?, Would I have a test.

I guess I could call my self a "NEWBIE NUMISMATIST":(. Ok I will stop, we have all had our fun. But I would like an answer !

On 8/23/2021 at 10:14 PM, leatherneck1967 said:

i would spend the money and send it in. what the hell, its only money !!

If it's only money (HIS money) then why don't you foot the cost?  After all it's only money.

Conder101, that is a real smart idea, I will make you a deal "MONEY BAGS". It looks as if you have a lot of money "SEASONED VETERAN" and after all you are on here free of charge,

giving your time and your vast knowledge of being a NUMISMATIST !.You pay half and I will pay the other half. How does that sound "MONEY BAGS". Put a little of that money ta work,

I Stepped up for you and everyone on here. What did I get in return?. Same thing some other people on here may have received, 100% D.A.V. This stuff is not a living for me. For a lot

of you it is. It is in some cases a big investment. When most of you started out this was "JUST A HOBBY". The money I have invested here is nothing compared to a lot of you. One thing 

that I can do that most of you may have ta do some day is spend it at face value. Try and take your collection to your bank and deposit it for what you think it is worth. "OUCH". Go ta

one of your money shows. Lay it all out, try and sell it for what YOU think it's worth and stand firm. Now you are just a middle man. Soon there will be no profit in any thing in the U.S .

You may need ta use the GOLD DOLLARS you have for bread. Lets go Conder101, 50/50. But it is his (MikeyB17) hobby.  

On 8/26/2021 at 9:34 AM, Just Bob said:

When you have more invested in your research library than in your coins.

Leatherneck1967......Bob nailed it, right here.  That's when you become a qualified numismatist.

THIS IS GREAT Conder101. If you were sure it was real, you wouldn't tell him that you think it is real??.

and advise him not ta have it graded. Well, I can see your point here !. But just by the simple fact of telling 

a person that you think it is real, is in a way saying send it in. I think you would say it's your coin and it is your money.

just do what you think is right for you. When I put my 1943 steel on here. People said it was a redo !. But I, as a smart

A-- Just had ta test "YOU PEOPLE" and the graders. In my hart I knew you all are smart on this stuff . So are the graders.

"MONEY", I deal with a hand full of penny's, that is what I can afford. and my wife is happy that way !!

.I didn't spend much money here, But I did learn a lot. So I sat down and went through all my 43 steel

Now I have a question,

I have noticed the 43 steel has a D/D. I have 3 of them, maybe more. what my problem is, Is no shine left.

I don't think they would graded it. but what the heck, "IT'S ONLY MONEY". 

THANK YOU

On 9/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, leatherneck1967 said:

THIS IS GREAT Conder101. If you were sure it was real, you wouldn't tell him that you think it is real??

If I thought it had a reasonable chance, I would recommend a closer examination.  This one doesn't..  There are some people on the various forums that recommend newbies send any thing that they have in to the TPG's. Even when they obvious shouldn't be.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:43 PM, MikeyB17 said:

I have a 1943 copper penny. What do I do next?20210817_173652.thumb.jpg.983a90b9cb636b334244da07bcfb7d42.jpg

O

On 8/25/2021 at 11:34 PM, leatherneck1967 said:

OK RWB and Oldhoopster , I give up. go ahead, gang up on me,:slapfight: I am a big old boy. I can take it.:roflmao::takeit:. I see you up there Mohawk..

one question for veterans..... at what point does a coin collector become a qualified NUMISMATIST ???. Can I be one next week?, Would I have a test.

I guess I could call my self a "NEWBIE NUMISMATIST":(. Ok I will stop, we have all had our fun. But I would like an answer !

You aren’t a qualified numismatist for many years even after you think you are. When you start to doubt yourself, you’re getting closer. When you question EVERYTHING, you’re really really close. Simple.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:34 PM, leatherneck1967 said:

You aren’t a qualified numismatist for many years even after you think you are. When you start to doubt yourself, you’re getting closer. When you question EVERYTHING, you’re really really close. Simple. When newbies doubt you, you’re there.