• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Graded and In Higher Grades

7 posts in this topic

In looking at the Registry or Verify Certification tools here or even at PCGS for that matter, how accurate can the stats be for the number of Total Graded coins and those "In Higher Grades"?  I'm asking after conversations at two local coin shows where multiple people have told me they crack out coins all the time from the holders and resubmit them in hopes of a better grade.  I've seen videos of course online too but by doing this the original record of a graded coin is not deleted.  So are some coins really more rare they they appear?   

The image is just an example of the stats I am asking about and not for a specific coin I own.   It can be the stats for any old coin and even a different grade.

Total Graded-Higher Grades.JPG

It is accurate if you understand what it is telling you. It is accurate for coins graded at that particular TPG. It won’t tell you coins graded elsewhere and it won’t account for ungraded examples. One of my biggest learnings in my coin journey so far is just how much raw material there is sitting with collectors. Morgans and mercs are a prime example. There are so many high end coins out there that have never seen a TPG it’s crazy. So again it’s accurate if you read it for what it is. 

1. The published numbers are a "population" not an "enumeration."

2. They show only the number of "grading events."

3. They exclude all rejected or ungraded coins.

4. They exclude (by definition #1, above) all coins not submitted.

Thus, they are gross indicators of extremely limited utility and statistical validity.

Edited by RWB

I think the OP is saying it has been graded 66 then cracked and graded somewhere else at 67, now there are two stats for the same coin the first TPG did not delete it from there list because they think it is still out there. So it is now on the higher list but not subtracted from the lower list>>>>>this is way to deep for me.. :roflmao: 

The pop reports are trash, the constant crackouts and regrade attempts have made them all but worthless.   The best you can hope to glean from them is a general sense of how many have been graded and a very general idea of what the population curve looks like for those that are graded.

The reports tell you accurately how many times that particular grade as been assigned and how many times a higher grade has been assigned, by that company.

They do NOT reflect accurately how many DIFFERENT coins have been assigned those grades, or how many coins still exist in holders at those grade levels.

They also cannot reflect how many coins in existence may someday be assigned those grades.