What percentage of active coin collectors read hobby books....
1 1

74 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 5:21 PM, RWB said:

I used the free download option for the latest book, Fads, Fakes & Foibles. I'll know in a month or two how that is working.

Probably not too well.  I bought the autographed version but received no information about how to download the PDF.  Didn't even know it was available until you mentioned it.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, Conder101 said:

Probably not too well.  I bought the autographed version but received no information about how to download the PDF.  Didn't even know it was available until you mentioned it.

You should have received a code # to enter on the Wizard site. This will permit a PDF download.

The purpose is to give collectors a searchable "index" without anyone having to have a CD reader or USB drive.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:18 PM, Conder101 said:

If they gave me one I never saw it.  Perhaps the order number?

I'll send you the file.

@Conder101 I can assure you the percentage does not approach the number of active coin collectors -- minus one. ME.

As my fellow collector @Oldhoopster recently learned, undoubtedly to his amazement, I, Quintus Arrius, do not own, or read, a single book devoted to the hobby -- and haven't since the Red Book devoted a section to the numismatic relics recovered from the S. S. CENTRAL AMERICA.

To be clear, this includes newspapers, magazines, pamphlet, treatises, dissertations -- anything in print. If per chance, I happen to come across something in New York's main library (which my sister in California recently informed me is now open) I will follow through.  I know this admission is an unmitigated Disgrace, but it is the truth.  🐓

On 8/26/2021 at 7:02 PM, Just Bob said:

I need to take a look at my order. I don't remember getting a code either.

Take a look on your receipt. If you can't find it drop me a note with your email and I'll send it to you. Same for anyone else who bought the FF&F book and did get the download code.

Posted (edited)

I do read such books, but not often. For example, I've read Red Whitman guide books in the last few years. Also, I read Jefferson Nickels books, and I think that's all. To be honest, I wish I had more time for reading, but Im a student, so my main focus is on education, not on the hobby. I study law, and you can imagine how hard it is. And I also have a course in forensic anthropology, which is very interesting but so complicated, especially when it comes to writing. But I have this source saved https://paperap.com/free-papers/forensic-anthropology/, and when I need some informational help, I can find articles there. They are like examples for me and show me what I can write. After graduation, I want to work as a lawyer, but I love coins and everything connected to it, and I hope I'll manage to cope with my work and hobby.

Edited by CarltonWilmot

On 5/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, CarltonWilmot said:

I do read such books, but not often. For example, I've read Red Whitman guide books in the last years. Also I read Jefferson Nickels books, and I think that's all.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I haven't bought a coin book in a while...but I have bought some famous auction catalogs and others that had lots of sales of Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, my main focus.  I've probably bought 4 or 5 auction catalogs the last year or so, including the Menjou 1950 sale.  Price, Morse, Duckor -- all Saint heavy collections -- also purchased.

Last book I bought was 2 years ago, RWB's Saint-Gaudens DE book.  Plan on re-reading it when I can read it in 2-3 weeks or so.