• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What percentage of active coin collectors read hobby books....

286 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 5:21 PM, RWB said:

I used the free download option for the latest book, Fads, Fakes & Foibles. I'll know in a month or two how that is working.

Probably not too well.  I bought the autographed version but received no information about how to download the PDF.  Didn't even know it was available until you mentioned it.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, Conder101 said:

Probably not too well.  I bought the autographed version but received no information about how to download the PDF.  Didn't even know it was available until you mentioned it.

You should have received a code # to enter on the Wizard site. This will permit a PDF download.

The purpose is to give collectors a searchable "index" without anyone having to have a CD reader or USB drive.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:18 PM, Conder101 said:

If they gave me one I never saw it.  Perhaps the order number?

I'll send you the file.

@Conder101 I can assure you the percentage does not approach the number of active coin collectors -- minus one. ME.

As my fellow collector @Oldhoopster recently learned, undoubtedly to his amazement, I, Quintus Arrius, do not own, or read, a single book devoted to the hobby -- and haven't since the Red Book devoted a section to the numismatic relics recovered from the S. S. CENTRAL AMERICA.

To be clear, this includes newspapers, magazines, pamphlet, treatises, dissertations -- anything in print. If per chance, I happen to come across something in New York's main library (which my sister in California recently informed me is now open) I will follow through.  I know this admission is an unmitigated Disgrace, but it is the truth.  🐓

On 8/26/2021 at 7:02 PM, Just Bob said:

I need to take a look at my order. I don't remember getting a code either.

Take a look on your receipt. If you can't find it drop me a note with your email and I'll send it to you. Same for anyone else who bought the FF&F book and did get the download code.

On 5/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, CarltonWilmot said:

I do read such books, but not often. For example, I've read Red Whitman guide books in the last years. Also I read Jefferson Nickels books, and I think that's all.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I haven't bought a coin book in a while...but I have bought some famous auction catalogs and others that had lots of sales of Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles, my main focus.  I've probably bought 4 or 5 auction catalogs the last year or so, including the Menjou 1950 sale.  Price, Morse, Duckor -- all Saint heavy collections -- also purchased.

Last book I bought was 2 years ago, RWB's Saint-Gaudens DE book.  Plan on re-reading it when I can read it in 2-3 weeks or so. 

On 7/31/2022 at 3:33 PM, CarltonWilmot said:

I don't remember when I read such book for the last time. They are interesting for me, but I don't have enough time for reading lately

The next book is available in standard print format and as a "Smoothie Text." (Trade Mark) The Smoothie Text (patented) version can be poured in your ear while sleeping or injected into your sinuses while you do really important stuff -- like surf the web or study ebay and esty auction offerings. ;)

On 7/31/2022 at 2:33 PM, CarltonWilmot said:

I don't remember when I read such book for the last time. They are interesting for me, but I don't have enough time for reading lately

What is more important than reading?

On 7/31/2022 at 9:49 PM, VKurtB said:

What is more important than reading?

Having eyes and good health. (And acquiring a 1900 French 20-franc gold rooster in MS-65, or better, condition.)  Not necessarily in that order. :roflmao:

By far my favorite 2 books are Wayne MIllers The Morgan and Peace Dollars Textbook and Bowers United States Gold Coins an Illustrated History. I've had both of them for decades and still like to look at them even today. 

I recently just started buying coin related books been a coin collector since the statehood series started and I am reading "strike it rich with pocket change" because I have found a few Wisconsin extra leaf's both varieties and found a few Arizona extra leaf coins and some with no extra leaf without JIM 

From my vantage point, sitting in the financial, publishing and entertainment center of the world, 5,000+ businesses have gone under, seemingly 90% of all bookstores have folded and of the four newspapers published daily, it appears to me the only reading being done is by older people who read books. Everyone appears to have been ensnared by social media platforms on their latest cellphones.  Books are no longer being photocipied; they are being digitized. Coin collecting? Is anyone aware at least six banks have introduced "kiddie plastic" to promote managing their teenage's (and in many cases) sub-teenage"s money "responsibly."  One young lad racked up $16,000 on "his" debit card playing a video game.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
A reminder from Moderation.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

From my vantage point, sitting in the financial, publishing and entertainment center of the world,

When did you move to Arab, Alabama, you dawg? We need to get together for coffee. 

On 8/2/2022 at 8:59 AM, Oldhoopster said:

I think that people who collect, but don't want to learn and grow can easily fall into a "hoarder" mindset.

Amen! No wonder ANA membership isn’t what it ought to be. Too many folks “acquiring” everything but knowledge. The ANA currently has about 27,000 active members. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/2/2022 at 8:59 PM, VKurtB said:

When did you move to Arab, Alabama, you dawg? We need to get together for coffee. 

[Buried deep in one of your gazillion comments--which apparently made you top dog on the Leader Board recently--was a reference to Arab.]

I have more books than I know what to do with, I’ll never be able to read all of them nor the majority of them. I keep finding new and interesting books to add to my stacks. Always learning 

now if I could only remember half of what I learn, I’d be doing good.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:30 AM, Zebo said:

I have more books than I know what to do with, I’ll never be able to read all of them nor the majority of them. I keep finding new and interesting books to add to my stacks. Always learning 

now if I could only remember half of what I learn, I’d be doing good.

It's good to have them as reference sources, since unlike financial data and information, pricing data and little tidbits about certain coins can get lost over time.

For me, there aren't tons of books on Saints or Double Eagles so I have all of the recent ones including Roger's.  But I find even the dated Bowers and Akers/Ambio books very useful with good information, even if alot of the information has been superceded.

I've read everything just about known to man around the early commemorative coin series.  I'm a member of the ANA and used to work with a Governor on the Board so I read The Numismatist every month.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:39 AM, leeg said:

I've read everything just about known to man around the early commemorative coin series.  I'm a member of the ANA and used to work with a Governor on the Board so I read The Numismatist every month.

The Numismatist is absolutely wonderful. With it, and its digital archives, one can study numismatic history without getting all dusty reading letters in a NARA. 

On 8/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, VKurtB said:

The Numismatist is absolutely wonderful. With it, and its digital archives, one can study numismatic history without getting all dusty reading letters in a NARA. 

...concur...excellent article in the august 2022 issue on Lone Wolf Coins Part 2 by one, David W. Lange....