• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,156 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2021 at 9:48 PM, tigerbait said:

1950S-BTW-50C-MS65obvclose.jpg

1950S-BTW-50C-MS65revclose.jpg

(I know. I know... I'm hard at work on a suitable sesqicentennial (150th anniversary - 2050) as we speak.)

On 10/16/2021 at 7:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Been wanting one of these for a very long time. Finally got one. Its not in the greatest shape but hopefully one day i can get a mint shape one. Polish_20211016_194555165.thumb.jpg.d4f59a52dd8554dac6674ea1026786fa.jpg

...the 1848 seated half dime has three diff recut date varieties all 48/48...urs looks like it could be the 302 version...cant really tell from the photo but should be evident to u in hand, mite be worth checking it out, would add a bit more interest to ur new coin...nice addition....

Been wanting one of these for a very long time. Finally got one. Its not in the greatest shape but hopefully one day i can get a mint shape one. Polish_20211016_194555165.thumb.jpg.d4f59a52dd8554dac6674ea1026786fa.jpg

Lovely addition.  Would you happen to know if this holder is embedded with a computer chip enabling Near-Field Technology? 

That's a nice one, Hog!! Glad you could cross something you wanted for a long time off of your list.  That's always a good feeling.  I remember when I got my one and only Faustina Egyptian Tetradrachm....that was a big one for me.  Thanks for sharing that!

On 10/16/2021 at 8:55 PM, zadok said:

...the 1848 seated half dime has three diff recut date varieties all 48/48...urs looks like it could be the 302 version...cant really tell from the photo but should be evident to u in hand, mite be worth checking it out, would add a bit more interest to ur new coin...nice addition....

I got my loupe out and examined it very closely and looked it up on NGC variety plus. It is the 302 version. It is an exact match to one of the photos they provided. Thank you for the info. I would have never known to look it up if you hadnt mentioned that. 

On 10/17/2021 at 10:36 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I got my loupe out and examined it very closely and looked it up on NGC variety plus. It is the 302 version. It is an exact match to one of the photos they provided. Thank you for the info. I would have never known to look it up if you hadnt mentioned that. 

no prob, thats what i do....i always thought 1848 n 1849 were couple of the more interesting years for liberty seated half dimes, lots of varieties in those two years...urs one of the more pronounced recut dates...

Minus the typee I/F/O Liberty's schnozzola and some very very minor distractions, I would've requested your permission to proceed with conservation using the cutting-edge technology available.  I used a small amount of Pepsi-Cola on my '66 Kennedy and contaminants I didn't even know were there, particularly in the reeding, simply bubbled to the surface. (Fortunately, for me, when 99.44% of the membership insists what you have, regardless of eye appeal is worth no more than melt, the Mad Scientist which resides in us all, asserts itself.)  Very nice coin 'buf!

I don't know from G.S.A., but at least we know C/C or not, the presence of the typee/tipi/teepee on a Morgan, is assessed at one point, though I suspect our straight-as-an-arrow, mince no words, highly regarded Mark Feld would beg to differ.

Nice grade, nice coin, and a highly coveted mint-mark.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:03 PM, 124Spider said:

I'm old enough to remember this, and I grew up in the DC area.  I love the "GSA Hoard" Morgan dollars!
https://coinweek.com/education/numismatic-history-the-gsa-cc-morgan-silver-dollar-coin-hoard/

Well, you are young; I am old.  It's easier for you to get around.  You have eight legs; I've only got two,  minus the chunk I lost when @Alex in PA. sicced his dogs on me.   🐓 

On 10/19/2021 at 9:10 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Well, you are young; I am old.  It's easier for you to get around.  You have eight legs; I've only got two,  minus the chunk I lost when @Alex in PA. sicced his dogs on me.   🐓 

So stop lurking around in Lock Haven. That’s whitetail deer hunting country, not someplace for a guy living in Morningside Heights. Now if I want to find a truly awesome deli, I’ll hang out with you.

I’ve eaten at THE Carnegie Deli. It doesn’t get any better. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/20/2021 at 9:42 PM, VKurtB said:

What street?

East Houston & Ludlow Streets, on the now gentrified lower East Side Puerto Ricans 🇵🇷 now call "Loisaida."  Even the Bowery, the old Theater District dominated by old tenements, flea bag hotels, the Men's municipal shelter and locomotive-driven elevated trains are clean enough to eat off the ground from and boasts newfangled architecture with sky-high prices. 

On 10/20/2021 at 10:31 PM, MorganMan said:

Do you ever look at an old worn sliver dollar and wonder who has had it in their pocket in years past?

89ccobv.jpg89ccrev.jpg

Whomever had it took special care in handling it. No chaos, pitchforks, lacerations or abrasions. Just plain even wear. Even the denticles smile back at you!  And I have a sneaky suspicion it originated out West before automobiles 🚘 and planes forced the horse to go the way of the bison 🦬.   Nice coin!   🐓 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:45 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

East Houston & Ludlow Streets, on the now gentrified lower East Side Puerto Ricans 🇵🇷 now call "Loisaida."  Even the Bowery, the old Theater District dominated by old tenements, flea bag hotels, the Men's municipal shelter and locomotive-driven elevated trains are clean enough to eat off the ground from and boasts newfangled architecture with sky-high prices. 

A great deli that far downtown? I’m kind of amazed. 

On 10/20/2021 at 10:57 PM, VKurtB said:

Any farther downtown, south of the Williamsburg Bridge, and you will find yourself in Chinatown.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:57 PM, VKurtB said:

We would walk from law school on Washington Square South to the ball fields on the East River for intramural softball Friday afternoons (balls hit over the fence in center field, into the East River, were outs).  We always stopped at Katz's on the way back to Washington Square.  It's a long-time legend.

Edited by 124Spider