• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(Better Pics) What grade is this SMS cent?

15 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2021 at 11:17 PM, Coinbuf said:

SMS 64, the carbon spots fingerprints and stains really lower the eye appeal.

I was going to say 63......but I think you're right.  It may have a shot at 64.  But you're right.....that coin is seriously lacking in the eye appeal department.  

Yeah…. those darn carbon spots… I guess that’s what 50 cents get you. Do you think ez est coin cleaner would work as a fun experiment?

On 8/12/2021 at 8:25 PM, Mohawk said:

I was going to say 63......but I think you're right.  It may have a shot at 64.  But you're right.....that coin is seriously lacking in the eye appeal department.  

On 8/13/2021 at 1:07 AM, CoinsRCool78 said:

Yeah…. those darn carbon spots… I guess that’s what 50 cents get you. Do you think ez est coin cleaner would work as a fun experiment?

You could try it if you had some around.  I wouldn't specifically go buy some just to try it on this particular cent.  I'm not that familiar with ez est.  I know it exists and I know people use it, but beyond that, I couldn't say much about it.

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

On 8/13/2021 at 12:07 AM, CoinsRCool78 said:

If you do dip it, make it quick and flush with water. It has a bad tendency to turn the copper a pink color that is noticeable. 

I agree with the grade estimates. It’s a nice coin but the carbon kills it. It’s certainly not AU. It is uncirculated just with diminished eye appeal. 

This may also be a good candidate to try an olive oil soak. It is slightly acidic and does a good job of gently removing some of the corrosion without harming the coin. I haven’t done much of it, but read many articles where people have bad success. Someone else may be able to give more experienced feedback. But I would say check it weekly. It’s a slow process. It may take weeks.  

Edited by Woods020

On 8/12/2021 at 10:07 PM, CoinsRCool78 said:

If you just want to experiment you can but it will not remove the carbon spots or at least not for long, they will come back.   And it had better be a very diluted solution of ez-est and distilled water.   Even then the chances are you will end up with a pink coin that shouts I've been messed with.  

With copper you are almost always best to just leave it alone. Right now you have a decent coin in mint state. Trying to improve it is much much more likely to lead to an altered coin. Silver or nickel sometimes you can benefit it, but with copper it’s almost impossible to do much without negative effects. I wouldn’t do anything more than an oil soak if that. For 50 cents you have a winner as it sits. 

Spotting and stains might preclude grading, otherwise possibly MS-63. Cannot be proven to be from an SMS set.

On 8/13/2021 at 4:04 PM, RWB said:

Spotting and stains might preclude grading, otherwise possibly MS-63. Cannot be proven to be from an SMS set.

And yet BOTH NGC AND PCGS do, literally every day. 

On 8/13/2021 at 4:27 PM, Woods020 said:

I haven’t done much of it, but read many articles where people have bad success.

I think you meant to say “had success”….. I know it worked for me on the 1942 DDO I posted a little while ago. 

Edited by GBrad

On 8/13/2021 at 11:11 PM, GBrad said:

I think you meant to say “had success”….. I know it worked for me on the 1942 DDO I posted a little while ago. 

Haha yes thank you. D@#% autocorrect