• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new to this tons of questions

11 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum!! Greenstang makes a good point. IMHO it looks like it may have seen some time in a clothes dryer (known as a dryer coin) by the looks of the rounded and bulged edge and rims I can see on my cell phone at the moment. Definitely a worn and circulated cent which could account for the loss of weight. Should be around 3.11 grams for a copper but 2.87 is not unusual for a worn cent. 

On 8/9/2021 at 3:10 PM, Michael Heck said:

thought this one was cool not sure what happend to it.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 3.09.18 PM.png

Definitely post mint damage here (PMD). Nothing like that happened during the minting process. No telling at all what happened to it. Just damaged. 

Edited by GBrad

On 8/9/2021 at 12:10 PM, Michael Heck said:

thought this one was cool not sure what happend to it.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 3.09.18 PM.png

Brutal abuse, limiting the value to $0.01 or its bullion value, which for copper is currently $0.028.

It might look cool to some people, but not to people who like coins and prefer them unbrutalized. To at least some of them, and certainly to me, it just looks like an example of the limitless human capacity for coin abuse.

ok last one here. Or do i have to put all in new topic? This penny i found will not stay in the book every time i open it it falls out. Has anyone seen this before. I am sure someone has. But like I said earlier new to this tons of questions. Would like to know more. I read alot if it intrests me like to know more any sugestions???

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 2.12.32 PM.png

On 8/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, Michael Heck said:

ok last one here. Or do i have to put all in new topic? This penny i found will not stay in the book every time i open it it falls out. Has anyone seen this before. I am sure someone has. But like I said earlier new to this tons of questions. Would like to know more. I read alot if it intrests me like to know more any sugestions???

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 2.12.32 PM.png

It is great when new collectors ask questions. That's why old collectors gather here to help them. And yes, ideally, you'd give each coin its own thread. The reason for that is that there is never a question which coin the discussion is talking about, thus no need to quote the whole picture just to maintain context. But it's not like anyone's going to string you up for it. Now if you did it to someone else's thread, that'd be seriously no bueno, but you haven't. Don't worry.

Obviously you have weighed this cent and found that it is normal. If it were much underweight, you'd have one possible answer as to why it falls out. What I see is a 47 Linc that might or might not make F-12 depending on the wheat lines, which I can't see in the reverse photo. I see discoloration hinting at copper tarnish, quite normal on older bronze cents. But don't forget that a coin can fall out of a cardboard album due to issues with the album. There is no guarantee of perfection there, and album slots can wear out.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Coin folders made prior to 1960 are notorious for coins falling out, especially plain edge coins. Whitman retooled at that time with a lock-in cut to the openings.