• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005 penny I'm wondering if it's worth doing anything with

6 posts in this topic

Found this 2005 penny in pocket . On back looks like extra something with Lincoln (hard to see in photo) also doubling front and back. Dot by word Trust20210805_221400.thumb.jpg.e1854c8e8f96fd3fcfc2f4e35591d055.jpg Looking for opinions.  Thank you Kmoccio- newbie 

20210805_221258.jpg

Welcome to the Chat Box

Don’t see anything out of the ordinary. There is nothing that would happen during the striking of the coin.

That doubling you see is just minor  Machine Doubling and the dots are probably just minor plating bubbles.

Welcome to the forum, any doubling that I see is just simple strike doubling which is common and adds no value.   That is a very nice condition coin to find in change, can you provide a good clear in focus close up of the dot by the T of Trust, it almost looks like some type of small counterstamp.   My guess is that @Greenstang is correct and it is just some type of plating blister but it would be interesting to see it better.   In case your are not aware in 1982 the mint started using zinc cores that have a very thin copper plating, prior to that the cent blanks were made from a copper/tin composition.   The new plated coins have always had issues with ghosting around the letters and devices that many new collectors mistake for doubling, and air bubbles that form under the copper layer.