• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold othman empire coin, 1910
1 1

33 posts in this topic

١٣٢٧ = AH 1327 (AD 1909) and I thought this symbol on the other side meant the 4th year which would make it a 1912 issue. Sorry, not trying to be argumentative just looking to learn as I hardly know anything about these.

20210805_052523.jpg.566c282a2990959445ed403879cd55a8.jpg.22b95171aabe031f9dfd9cfe4bc0b00d.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, Ahlawy said:

I don't have much information about it actually, I'm looking for information too 

No problem, the only other info I have is that it was minted in Constantinople. I think.

If you can post the size and or weight others might be able to tell you more.

I might take a look at it again this evening if I have time. Very neat piece. (thumbsu

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Grammar

I'm not positive of the denomination. I based it on what I think the size of it is. 

1.8g = 25K. About size of US 10c.

3.6g = 50K. About size of US 5c.

7.2g = 100K. About size of US 25c.

18g = 250K. About size of US 50c.

35g = 500K. About size of US Silver $1.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, VKurtB said:

And now they’ve been reduced to making things to rest your legs on in front of your easy chair. Some empire. 

Nope, not funny.  My father was born in Kayseri, Turkey. 🇹🇷 (Mother was born in Yalta where they had the Big Four conference in '45. Both now deceased.)  I can distinctly recall he found the reference to Constantinople particularly galling clearly preferring Istanbul, the former capital. Let's not overlook the fact that the world's first coins were minted in Lydia, present-day Turkey. There are 100 kurus in one Turkish lira. Based on a web reference, I believe your coin's melt value to be about $90, however its numismatic value is another matter entirely. 

A large contribution to persistent middle east conflict originated with Britain's high-handed and ignorant partitioning of the "Palestine Mandate" into geometrically cute nations, when the Ottoman Empire was dissolved. By chopping up traditional cultural and interest groups, they guaranteed failure of all the new countries and promoted extremism.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:26 PM, RWB said:

A large contribution to persistent middle east conflict originated with Britain's high-handed and ignorant partitioning of the "Palestine Mandate" into geometrically cute nations, when the Ottoman Empire was dissolved. By chopping up traditional cultural and interest groups, they guaranteed failure of all the new countries and promoted extremism.

You had predominantly Sunni Muslims in Iraq 🇮🇶 battling predominantly Shi-ite Muslims in Iran 🇮🇷 for eight years with both sides praying to the same God, Allah, to win. . . 

Sounds like Protestants and Catholics or any other group of extremists who think they are are "chosen people."

The really amazing part of the British solution was to ignore what was well known to professionals, and make cole slaw out of the old Ottoman territory.

To the OP......I used to be active on here a few years ago before the need to write a dissertation, get away from abusive newbies who didn't like bad news and do some soul searching caused me to leave for a bit.  I've been lurking since July, and I can help you with your coin.  Before I evolved into the Faustina the Younger coin guy I am now, I collected a lot of Ottoman coins and I can tell you what you have.  Based on the weight provided, you have a gold 100 Kurush.  It was minted during the reign of Sultan Mehmed V Reshat and the date of 1327/4 is indeed 1912, like Fenntucky Mike stated.  Your coin has 0.2127oz of gold and a melt value today of $372.61 USD.  However, it does have some collector value beyond this.  I do not feel comfortable in saying if your coin is AU or Mint State from the photos as it can be very tricky to discern high AU grades and MS grades with these coins.  The value range would range from $400 USD if it's AU up to $450 USD if it's in Mint State.  It had a mintage of 3,591,676.  However, it should be noted that there are very, very few collectors of Ottoman gold by date that I know of.  I hope that was of some help to you!

And to my old friends JKK, Just Bob, Karen Holcomb,, RWB and Revenant......sorry I disappeared for a while.  I had stuff to work out.  However, I'm glad to be back in some way if you'll have me again.  

On 8/12/2021 at 12:04 AM, Mohawk said:

Based on the weight provided, you have a gold 100 Kurush.  It was minted during the reign of Sultan Mehmed V Reshat and the date of 1327/4 is indeed 1912, like Fenntucky Mike stated.  Your coin has 0.2127oz of gold and a melt value today of $372.61 USD.  

To @Ahlawy: Sorry about the miscalulation. Accepted it was a 25 kurush gold coin and extrapolated its melt value, accordingly. 

To @Mohawk Come in! Come in! You don't have to ask. You're a member in good standing.  Welcome back!

On 8/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, Mohawk said:

And to my old friends JKK, Just Bob, Karen Holcomb,, RWB and Revenant......sorry I disappeared for a while.  I had stuff to work out.  However, I'm glad to be back in some way if you'll have me again.  

Hey, Tom. Good to see you posting again! I hope everything is going well. 

There have been quite a few additions to the roster since you have been here. Some are good guys, and some...well... I will let you figure out who is who on your own.

On a personal note: how did the dissertation go? What is going on in your world these days? (we can have this conversation by PM, rather than hijack the OP's thread, or you can start an "I'm Back" thread, if you would like.)

Again - good to have you back. :)

To Quintus......thank you so much for the warm welcome back!!! I really appreciate that!!!

To Bob....it's good to be back.  It looks like a pretty good group.  Like I said, I've been lurking since July, and it appears that the "Collector" with his 1969-S "Doubled Die" Lincoln Cents and Travis Hale have left for other destinations.  Also, it seems that no one has asked about a 1977-D "Pac-Man" cent in a while.  Those factors, taken with seeing someone I could help, made it seem like the right time to come back.  As for what I've been up to, I'll be sending you a PM my friend.  Thanks for the warm welcome back as well!!

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/12/2021 at 8:41 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

To @Ahlawy: Sorry about the miscalulation. Accepted it was a 25 kurush gold coin and extrapolated its melt value, accordingly. !

I forgot to add, Quintus......it's a completely understandable error.  The 25, 50 and 100 Kurushes all look exactly the same unless you can clearly see the size, which isn't readily apparent from the photos.  At least the 250 and 500 Kurushes have little numeric value representations on the obverses in the 6 o'clock position.  The silver 5, 10 and 20 Kurush coins aren't denominated either and they also all have the exact same design.  The Ottomans must have just relied on the sizes of the coins to suffice for denominational differences with many of their coins.