• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

8 posts in this topic

what can someone buy that can help reduce bad scratching/hazeing from all little over time hairlines and scratches on an ngc holder? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

now something that will not harm the holder or make the scratches/haze worse

any ideas????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

does not matter if it is a simple home remedy or some sort of extra special polishing compound bought at a store

thanks

I've tried Pushkin's Scratch-Away and it worked well in the limited number of slabs that I've tested. I know there are other fine compounds out there that folks use but I cannot recall their names right now.

It's called a reholder and it will cost you $5 plus postage and insurance both ways. I heartily recommend it.

I use Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover. They have a heavy scratch remover too but I've never tried it. It will get rid of the haze and light scratches but takes a lot of work for heavier scratches. It's made for plastics, like motorcycle windshields, and I bought it at a motorcycle shop. You may be able to find it at an auto parts store too.

Michael---

My personal choice is Blue Magic Liquid Metal Polish. I know, I know---METAL POLISH??? Yes. It's a very fine polishing compound that works very well at removing surface scratches that aren't too deep and will semi-repair deeper ones. K-Mart or any auto parts store.

I've noticed that looking at a coin thru a NGC slab with a 10X loupe , one can see impurities and imperfections within the plastic. They look like stress lines. And if you angle the surface to reflect a overhead light or any bright scene, the reflection is fuzzy and indistinct. PCGS is much sharper. Simply an indication of manufacturing process and/or quality of the plastic itself I think.

I have used zymol auto polish for several plastic polishing applications including PCGS and NGC slabs. It polishes out most scratches and fills the rest. You can't even tell the slab was scratched. zymol is an all natural polish, costs a bit more but worth it. It really does wonders on the car too. Clear coat is basically a plastic. Give it a try.