• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 cent- George Washington token Lucky Play Money
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Didn't know there where value in these. I guess collectors are into play money also. After doing some research, I'm going to look for the other's. Interesting. 

20210711_101831.jpg

20210711_101725.jpg

Collecting is to collect for love of it . Some collectors love collecting odd tokens or challenge coins even poker chips there may not be a big numismatic market for them not as yet but who knows what’s future hold ? New market doors are being opened everyday if a group of people start getting interested into the same thing sooner or later you’ll see a market . Don’t laugh there’s a market for Pokémon cards , hot wheel cars , comic books , even old beer cans and bottles just to name a few it’s not all about “old classic US coins” 

[Unsolicited editorial comment, with a short preface, as follows: if I were to speak freely and frankly regarding the above artifact, this post would be scrubbed and in time, members would be inclined to acknowledge my existence as an unconfirmed tumor that was excised from the Forum without fanfare.]

So, I'll try a different tack confining my remarks to the note pictured above submitted to PMG which bills itself as "the world's largest and most trusted [TPGS] for paper money." Apparently, somewhere along the way, this has been extended beyond red seal, consecutively numbered legal tender as reported recently in Coin Week to include "play money" signed by a "Scrooge McDuck" and the note bookended by a pair of Twinkletoes. The note goes well beyond Exceptional Paper Quality [EPQ] and has been appraised as being of GEM quality. When's the last time you saw one of those?  Not surprisingly, almost one million (1,000,000) of these notes have been printed prefixed by the letter T from which one may infer millions more lie in wait.

I subscribe to Walter Disney's philosophy and Walter Hoving's standard of excellence (which I offered glimpses of elsewhere on another thread). IMNSHO, this is a shameful example of blurring the distinction between the real, and the pseudo-numismatic. I regret that the likes of serious collectors and scholars will prefer to curb their tongues on this.  If anyone wants to know what happened to coin collecting (and stamps) he need look no further than cladification, the near-total disappearance of common, i.e., real coins from change and the urban renewal of Times Square via Disneyfication exemplified by the acceptance of play money as just another form of legal tender.  Is it possible to counterfeit something that was never legal tender to begin with?  I will leave that discomfiting thought to our resident experts.

Note:  None of the foregoing should be regarded as a criticism of the OP or his possession.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:04 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Collecting is to collect for love of it . Some collectors love collecting odd tokens or challenge coins even poker chips there may not be a big numismatic market for them not as yet but who knows what’s future hold ? New market doors are being opened everyday like this https://fitmymoney.com/300-dollar-loan/ if a group of people start getting interested into the same thing sooner or later you’ll see a market . Don’t laugh there’s a market for Pokémon cards , hot wheel cars , comic books , even old beer cans and bottles just to name a few it’s not all about “old classic US coins” 

Yes I agree. I collect because I really like it.

Edited by Terry Braswell

On 7/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Unsolicited editorial comment, with a short preface, as follows: if I were to speak freely and frankly regarding the above artifact, this post would be scrubbed and in time, members would be inclined to acknowledge my existence as an unconfirmed tumor that was excised from the Forum without fanfare.]

So, I'll try a different tack confining my remarks to the note pictured above submitted to PMG which bills itself as "the world's largest and most trusted [TPGS] for paper money." Apparently, somewhere along the way, this has been extended beyond red seal, consecutively numbered legal tender as reported recently in Coin Week to include "play money" signed by a "Scrooge McDuck" and the note bookended by a pair of Twinkletoes. The note goes well beyond Exceptional Paper Quality [EPQ] and has been appraised as being of GEM quality. When's the last time you saw one of those?  Not surprisingly, almost one million (1,000,000) of these notes have been printed prefixed by the letter T from which one may infer millions more lie in wait.

I subscribe to Walter Disney's philosophy and Walter Hoving's standard of excellence (which I offered glimpses of elsewhere on another thread). IMNSHO, this is a shameful example of blurring the distinction between the real, and the pseudo-numismatic. I regret that the likes of serious collectors and scholars will prefer to curb their tongues on this.  If anyone wants to know what happened to coin collecting (and stamps) he need look no further than cladification, the near-total disappearance of common, i.e., real coins from change and the urban renewal of Times Square via Disneyfication exemplified by the acceptance of play money as just another form of legal tender.  Is it possible to counterfeit something that was never legal tender to begin with?  I will leave that discomfiting thought to our resident experts.

Note:  None of the foregoing should be regarded as a criticism of the OP or his possession.

There is even a category specifically for this type of material in the competitive exhibits at the ANA’s World’s Fair of Money. Look down on it if you like, but it is a perfectly acceptable sub-specialty. And by the way, the first place exhibit in this category will win, along with a certificate and medal, a 1/10 ounce Gold American Eagle. So scoff away. 

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB:

There was a time--no one reading this is old enough to remember, including myself, when people scoffed at the idea of a "horseless carriage."  One member stated I had no idea what a coin census represented in the larger scheme of things (he was right!) and I am grateful @cladking was kind enough to provide a detailed explanation of why clad coins, a misunderstood coin if ever there was one, deserved my reconsideration as an "innovation."  I am grateful to all for taking the time and trouble to explain these things to me. As @Just Bob succinctly put it, in substance: however unique or rare you regard your collectible, absent "demand" it is not as valuable as you may be inclined to believe. Have a safe and happy Fourth!