• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

President of PCGS stepping down
1 1

36 posts in this topic

I just received an email informing that Brett Charville is stepping down as the president of PCGS.  No timeframe was given just that he would be staying on until a replacement is named and the transition is complete.   I do not remember just when Mr. Charville was named as the president of PCGS but it was not all that long ago, no details were given but this seems interesting given that PCGS recently was taken private after being a publicly traded company. 

Yep.  Got one too. Maybe the guy just wants to move on.  Maybe it was political.  Don't make no difference to me.   9_9

As far as I'm concerned Brett did a good job while he was there.  

Edited by Alex in PA.
Add information

On 6/24/2021 at 4:15 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s the “other guys". Don't care.

I don't know the gentleman's contemplated departure would have any effect on me.  The 🐓 I am waiting on is now in Georgia. I am hoping to get it by July 4th, ideally granted a cross-grade by NGC, which will complete my short set but have a negligible effect on my overall ranking. I will make my decision as to mass dispersal of the entire compilation at that time, extending the courtesies shown me to NGC Set Registrants first.

If I manage to bag a 🐓 on my P-Set Registry, for all intents and purposes, I'm done. I will have achieved my purpose. Anyone attempting something irrational like besting me -- which will necessarily entail prohibitive costs -- can freely enter a plea of NGI, or Not Guilty due to Insanity, a legal and not medical term as popularly believed. (I find it difficult to compose my thoughts with Moderators monitoring my every key stroke; I serve at their pleasure. May God bless them all.)

3 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓  

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Attempt to remove duplicate post

Assuming a handsome stipend was arranged, why stay long enough to accept responsibility for losses and even legal retribution over actions that were not of his making.

2 hours ago, numisport said:

Assuming a handsome stipend was arranged, why stay long enough to accept responsibility for losses and even legal retribution over actions that were not of his making.

Why assume that by staying however long he does, he will be accepting those things? That sounds highly unlikely to me.

Being the president of a large company is not an easy task. Those that can deal with it are able to use it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

I see Brett as a really smart young man with bigger things in mind.

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Why assume that by staying however long he does, he will be accepting those things? That sounds highly unlikely to me.

Alright, okay.  Maybe he was made an offer he couldn't refuse.  Like a golden parachute festooned with a red-ribboned parchment scroll briefly summarizing his mutually agreed upon negotiated, severance settlement package.

21 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Alright, okay.  Maybe he was made an offer he couldn't refuse.  Like a golden parachute festooned with a red-ribboned parchment scroll briefly summarizing his mutually agreed upon negotiated, severance settlement package.

...or possibly a guillotine, which creates a different kind of "severance package.".

Wherever the truth may lie, the new guy will have an unprecedented opportunity to introduce and broaden the coin collector base to the fledgling newcomers who will make or break the profession -- or suffer the fate of "philatafatalism."  (My sincere apologies to those who collect Pitney-Bowes [PB] postal stickers in multi-generational holders.)  -_-

5 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Could be cost-cutting and eliminations of positions under the new private equity owners.

Not in this case, considering that a successor will be selected. It also sounds as if it was his decision. 
Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) President Brett Charville has announced he will be leaving the company but will remain part of the PCGS team while a successor is selected.”

Edited by MarkFeld

11 hours ago, gmarguli said:

Or possibly he just hated the job. A prior PCGS President told me he hated the job. 

This makes sense. 

Division presidents don't necessarily like their boss or the organizational culture either.  Or something to this effect. 

A lot of coin collector might think working for a TPG or an auction firm is fun and it might be for most who do it, but not everybody.  It's a job and a business, not a hobby for those who work and invest in it.

I had never heard of him until he took his current role but if he was a dealer or part owner of a coin dealership, he probably had more control over his environment and how he spent his time.  This matter a lot to a lot of people, more than making more money.

Edited by World Colonial

8 minutes ago, coinman_23885 said:

There is no thread on the topic ATS. I wonder if the subject matter is taboo there.

Former employees and those got to know him over the years have felt free to weigh in but their comments are mainly glowing tributes.  It's a bit early for present employees and members to speak up for attribution.

4 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Former employees and those got to know him over the years have felt free to weigh in but their comments are mainly glowing tributes.  It's a bit early for present employees and members to speak up for attribution.

..but do they have to be authenticated, graded and slabbed...? Is there an extra charge for attribution?

The private owners will do anything they want. Squeezing more revenue and profit from a self-limiting business might mean "brand disfunctionalization" or "unappetizing trinketizing" product.....things like slabbing damaged, altered and counterfeit items, etc. as examples.

Edited by RWB

3 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

He will be missed. He has truly made efforts to reach out to collectors and improve PCGS. 

I see lots of articles and commentaries by the NGC higher-ups, haven't seen as many from PCGS in the last year or two. 

Maybe I'm wrong, that's my impression.

It is understandably difficult to speak frankly, for attribution or otherwise, when the subject in question has not left.

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

It is understandably difficult to speak frankly, for attribution or otherwise, when the subject in question has not left.

I meant about the market for coins, collectibles, Covid and online activity, etc.

9 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I meant about the market for coins, collectibles, Covid and online activity, etc.

I was a member for a year and during that time increasingly got the impression I was a fish out of water. Conservatively speaking, 99.44% of all the material I was sent from them, and advertisers, emphasized U.S. coins. 🐓🐓🐓? Limited to the Census and Set Registry. (NGC's profile in Europe was limited and no more than 10 members collecting 🐓 as opposed to 37 at PCGS).  It's U.S.A., all the way.

I believe you are right about their scant coverage of outside concerns. Maybe Mr. Charville's successor will change that.

4 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I was a member for a year and during that time increasingly got the impression I was a fish out of water. Conservatively speaking, 99.44% of all the material I was sent from them, and advertisers, emphasized U.S. coins. 🐓🐓🐓? Limited to the Census and Set Registry. (NGC's profile in Europe was limited and no more than 10 members collecting 🐓 as opposed to 37 at PCGS).  It's U.S.A., all the way.

I believe you are right about their scant coverage of outside concerns. Maybe Mr. Charville's successor will change that.

PCGS has a much lower share of submissions for world coinage and zero (to my knowledge) for ancients.  I wouldn't expect them to emphasize anything other than US coinage.

Both firms have opened offices elsewhere but I have (on multiple occasions) expressed what I believe is the obvious conclusion that TPG will never achieve anything close to US scale in other coinage, outside of NCLT.  Even aside from acceptance, most of it will never be worth enough and outside of a limited number of countries (mostly Europe), much of it is too scarce in a quality where hardly anyone would want it graded.

Second, unless they are going to just market TPG grading generically, not sure what you would hope to see.  The "world coin market" is too fragmented.  I use this wording in quotes because the very term is itself US centric.  To collectors elsewhere, US coinage is or may be "world" coinage as well.  I do see a clear dividing line between US coins and all others by collectors elsewhere but most of them aren't collecting coins from everywhere as is done by US based collectors.  There is no market (at US or the supposed market prices) for most "world coins" locally, for either buying or selling.

Edited by World Colonial

Two new developments.... My wife handed a small box, adressed to me, twice no less, opened it outside my presense and two things immediately became apparent: the sarcophagus it was crossed over from passed successfully -- no surprise there as it was the better of two I owned at grade MS-66 -- but more notably did not include the label and grade from the previous TPGS seasoned veterans here have urged me to send in to keep census figures accurate.

I believe @World Colonial is correct in his observations of world coinage market share amongst the TPGS, but I am unable to rule out PCGS' privileged access and stranglehold on the earlier, original 🐓 line without the cooperation of ar least one prominent European outpost. Acquiring the first eight may seem menudo to an average collector but to me it will mean I have arrived, if successful -- or suffer the indignity of having my name striken from ever book and tablet of substance, stricken from all pylons and Set Registry obelisks and stricken from every monument erected in my name.   😉

18 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Two new developments.... My wife handed a small box, adressed to me, twice no less, opened it outside my presense and two things immediately became apparent: the sarcophagus it was crossed over from passed successfully -- no surprise there as it was the better of two I owned at grade MS-66 -- but more notably did not include the label and grade from the previous TPGS seasoned veterans here have urged me to send in to keep census figures accurate.

I believe @World Colonial is correct in his observations of world coinage market share amongst the TPGS, but I am unable to rule out PCGS' privileged access and stranglehold on the earlier, original 🐓 line without the cooperation of ar least one prominent European outpost. Acquiring the first eight may seem menudo to an average collector but to me it will mean I have arrived, if successful -- or suffer the indignity of having my name striken from ever book and tablet of substance, stricken from all pylons and Set Registry obelisks and stricken from every monument erected in my name.   😉

r u talking bout the chalk drawings on the sidewalk outside ur bldg?.......