• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry - What new features would you like to see added?
3 3

57 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Our team is working hard on developing new features for the NGC Registry that you, our treasured collectors, would enjoy. What is on your wish list? Please let us know below!

Arrow GIF

4 hours ago, BlakeEik said:

Here's a list off the top of my head:

1. Add non-competitive coins, other than NGC/PCGS (like the old registry)
  2. Add Custom sets (like the old registry)
  3. In addition to coin "Comments", add private fields for notes, date acquired, where acquired, cost, date sold, and price sold (like the old registry)
  4. Ability to specify what fields to display in a table view for coins and competitive sets, like
    1. price guide values/totals
    2. dates acquired/sold
    3. set ratings/point values
    4. in set views, roll-up values like avg. grade, completeness %, coins required
    5. with/without photo
    6. slot filled/empty (this is already there - don't remove it)
    7. population info: total graded, in that grade, and in higher grade
    8. CAC info
    9. grades
    10. cert #
    11. hidden/not hidden
    12. and of course, coin specifications: year, mint, denom, type, variety 
  5. Ability to use advanced filter/sort for coins (like the old registry) and competitive sets using the fields in #4
  6. Ability to add photos without replacing NGC photos
  7. Ability to add more than just 2 photos
  8. Ability to substitute prices when there are none available in the NGC price guide
  9. Ability to display the set photo when looking at competitive sets
  10. Ability to see/sort sets by total NGC score instead of just the combined NGC/PCGS score
  11. Ability to see coin comments in set view without clicking on the coin itself 
  12. Having the "shop" button search through dealer listing, not just go to eBay (like the PCGS registry)
  13. Under "Awards" (link on the side menu), include links to past year winners, not just the most recent
  14. When looking at competitive sets, use links to the category under the set names instead of static text
  15. Show a coins point value, AND it's type point value when looking at a coin
  16. Have a link to a "Want List": all empty slots in non-hidden competitive sets, or, a customizable list, or, BOTH!
  17. Integrate functionality between the Registry and the Chat Boards, such as being able to mark a coin "for sale" and having it show up in the Marketplace with contact info

Is that it?

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I would like the option for custom sets (once they are added to the new system) to upload additional photos.   Currently you can only have one obv and one rev photo, my old holder custom set is a good example of where this could be useful.   My whole theme is about the holder and it would be nice for the viewers to be able to see the holders as they are relevant to the set.   However I also use those coins in competitive sets where I do want the close up shots to be available.

It would be nice to have the ability in custom sets to use other brands of holders besides only NGC and PCGS.   I understand the reasons why not for the competitive sets but custom sets are not judged in the same manor and some collectors have coins in their collections in older ANACS and other brands of holders that are relevant for a custom set that cannot currently be shown or displayed.

Hello, Coinbuf. Thanks for your input. The team will take your feedback into consideration.

• Administrator
On 6/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, M.T. said:

It's nice to see that NGC is working on further improvements and is interested in collectors views.

Apart from points 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 16 and 17 from Blake's list I would also welcome:

• Ability to do some basic editing in “comments” window (such as bold, underline etc)
    including ability to import pictures/drawings. This IMO would make the texts more clear and “reader friendly”

• When looking at coin information (this concerns not only NGC Registry but also “Verify NGC certification” and other functions) it would be really helpful not to have only information how many coins is graded in particular grade and how many are graded higher but also total number of coins graded and possibly even current highest grade. 

For example, if NGC graded 698 of 1887 Crowns and you own example in MS 64,
    the current information provided in Coin information/verification is:

Total graded by NGC in MS 64: 104
                                 in higher grades: 31

My suggestion:
       Total graded by NGC: 698
                           in MS 64: 104
               in higher grades:    31    +/- ? (highest grade MS 66+ )

Obviously this information is available in NGC Census but it takes many, in my opinion unnecessary,  clicks to get there. I consider this information quite basic and important. It makes a difference if the coin is finest or second finest from 1000 examples or just 3 examples ....

- Finally (unless there are any legal issues which I am not aware of) I would suggest to allow members to choose (= give permission) if they can be contacted or not by other participants in the Registry via email and facilitate this function

Hello, M.T.

Thanks for the feedback. The ability to message another user is already in the works. The team will discuss your other points.

Not a big deal, but I have always wondered about the numbering when ranking sets.  Say you have someone if first place, someone in second place, and then say 3 people are tied for third place.  After that, currently it shows the next set as #4, when in reality it is #6 due to the tie for third place.  Like I said, not a big deal.  More curious than anything.  

image.png.b188e66e02e3ff26baac6c5e41af9d36.png

On 6/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, M.T. said:

Ability to do some basic editing in “comments” window (such as bold, underline etc)
including ability to import pictures/drawings.

Ability to put Comments in Rich Text - a good idea!

How about a way to truly verify you own a certain coin?  I know several people in the registry that in fact do not own the coins listed in their sets!  I know this opens a can of worms but it happens!

• Administrator
On 6/10/2021 at 10:08 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Not a big deal, but I have always wondered about the numbering when ranking sets.  Say you have someone if first place, someone in second place, and then say 3 people are tied for third place.  After that, currently it shows the next set as #4, when in reality it is #6 due to the tie for third place.  Like I said, not a big deal.  More curious than anything.  

Hello, Morpheus.

Discussions about this have gone back and forth among the senior team over the years. Ultimately, we decided to keep it this way. When several collectors are tied for a certain rank, it is fair that they maintain that numerical tie. To "demote" a collector in rank just because s/he added a coin a few minutes after another collector would not be fair. As such, the next person in rank/score falls one level below the others. Thanks, and have a good day.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, erwindoc said:

How about a way to truly verify you own a certain coin?  I know several people in the registry that in fact do not own the coins listed in their sets!  I know this opens a can of worms but it happens!

Hello, erwindoc.

Thank you for your input. NGC cannot police the marketplace for coin sales. Unfortunately, this is just not feasible. We rely upon the integrity of our collectors to only add coins to their collection that they actually own. We do strive for accuracy, by all means; if you are aware of distinct certification numbers that have changed hands, and you can send us a website with a link to the completed sale with the certification number evident, then the team can research and make any needed adjustments. Any transaction information can be sent to registry@NGCcoin.com.

• Administrator
On 6/8/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mr.blister said:

That star-designated coins be valued with their distinct valuation. 

Hello and thanks for your interest. Star coins do receive a score boost over the corresponding coin with the same numerical grade.

Allow registry users more input when new sets are requested. Not sole determination by NGC. Example: no FT set of silver Roosevelt dimes has been requested and always denied. Same with Mercury dimes, Jeff nickels without FS. Coins points based on the grade of the coin without the FT, FS, etc. designations.

After all the registry is about the users.

Thanks!

On 6/8/2021 at 9:18 AM, Ali E. said:

Our team is working hard on developing new features for the NGC Registry that you, our treasured collectors, would enjoy. What is on your wish list? Please let us know below!

Arrow GIF

Simply be able to export our Competitive Sets and Competitive Coins so we could have a hardcopy.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, jawaite said:

Simply be able to export our Competitive Sets and Competitive Coins so we could have a hardcopy.

Hello and thanks for your interest. It is already in our queue to add reporting functionality to the new site. Meanwhile, you may still do so on collectors-society.com. Thank you.

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Simple Collector said:

Allow registry users more input when new sets are requested. Not sole determination by NGC. Example: no FT set of silver Roosevelt dimes has been requested and always denied. Same with Mercury dimes, Jeff nickels without FS. Coins points based on the grade of the coin without the FT, FS, etc. designations.

After all the registry is about the users.

Thanks!

Hello and thanks for your feedback and interest. Competitive NGC Registry set structure is determined carefully on a case-by-case basis by our senior team. The sets you describe may be created in Custom Sets, if you wish. Custom Sets are also considered for annual NGC Registry awards.

Hi Ali, 

What I would love to see added is a page you could access from your "home page" or from the "registry page" that has a list of all the current additions and changes that each user made in chronological oder.

So like...

User Name ➡️ Set Name ➡️ Country ➡️ Category ➡️ Change Made ➡️ time made

Maybe like...

Dan Hughes ➡️ Dan Hughes Silver Eagles ➡️ United States ➡️ $1 American Eagle Silver Mint State ➡️ Score Increase ➡️ 10:45 - 7/8/21

You use to have something like this years ago.  If anyone else is like me they could use this page to look at current changes made  to sets by just using the "Country" column or the "Category" column. 

Your thoughts 🤔?

Thanks,

Brett

Ali,

Based on your response to my comments above you are rejecting before consideration so not sure why you’re even asking for input. There are several sets where specific coins series do not have graded specimens to allow the number of people to complete the sets at the highest level. NGC also includes oddballs in a lot of sets that preclude collectors to complete the set. Example 1943/1942 overdate Jefferson. Pretty sure the mint never intended to release it as a production coin.

Custom sets are fine but not on a competitive basis. 

lonnie

So, I'm a bit late to this party but this comes from some recent discussions between me and Mike on the PMG side.

I would love it if one day we could have cross-platform sets that let us have PMG-graded notes AND NGC graded coins displayed together in one place.

I would love this with what I'm working on with extending my Zimbabwe note set into coins. I'd love to make one, unified, set with the coins and the notes together.

Is it practical / readily doable? No idea. Probably not. But I have to think there would be interest and demand out there. I can't be the only person that collects coins and currency from one country or as part of one thematic collection and would love to do this as some kind of custom set.

On 7/8/2021 at 8:56 AM, Ali E. said:

Hello, Morpheus.

Discussions about this have gone back and forth among the senior team over the years. Ultimately, we decided to keep it this way. When several collectors are tied for a certain rank, it is fair that they maintain that numerical tie. To "demote" a collector in rank just because s/he added a coin a few minutes after another collector would not be fair. As such, the next person in rank/score falls one level below the others. Thanks, and have a good day.

I think you misunderstand me.  I agree with keeping the tied collectors at the same rank.  Same points should equal same rank.  What I am referring to is the collectors that come after that.  

Collector #1 has 1000 points

Collector #2 has 750 points

Collector #3 has 500 points

Collector #4 has 500 points

Collector #5 has 500 points

Collector #6 has 250 points.

Right now, the ranking is as follows:

1.  Collector #1

2.  Collector #2

3. Collector #3

3.  Collector #4

3.  Collector #5

4.  Collector #6

When, in fact:

1.  Collector #1

2.  Collector #2

3. Collector #3

3.  Collector #4

3.  Collector #5

6.  Collector #6

Collector #6 does not have the 4th ranked set.  They have the 6th ranked set.  In fact, NGC is literally the only place I have seen ranking done in this matter.  

• Administrator

Hello, Morpheus.

Can you please provide me with a link to the exact NGC Registry set you mention? The rank should look like this Silver Eagle Set. (In the case of a score tie, the number of images and comments give a collector a boost over another collector with similar points.) Thanks.

image.png

The set I circled below is not in second place.  All 5 of the number 1 sets above him are ahead of him.  Whereas the circled set is listed as the second best set, (#2) it is really 6th best.  It should be listed as #6, not #2.  Below the first picture I have included one from PCGS.  There are 16 people tied for the number one set in this particular category.  Hence, they all have a number 1 next to their name.  However, unlike your example, the next set is not listed as #2.  It is listed as #17.  

Like I said, not a big deal, but this is the only place I have ever seen it listed like this.  

image.png.ded5f0b5a68f02c296d3a02ad29086bb.png

image.png

• Administrator

Hello, Morpheus.

My apologies for not explaining it better initially. This ranking is intentional. There are 5 people with the same top score. The person in 2nd place has the second best score. I hope that makes more sense. Thanks.