• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deciding which coins to have graded....

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.  I am very new to collecting and I've never submitted a coin for grading. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is that I don't know how to know which coins are worth submitting.  I don't have a lot of money for collecting and most of my coins probably aren't worth much but I find them fascinating and I enjoy "the hunt".  That said, I have a few coins that I would like to have graded mostly out of curiosity (Indian cent, some large cents, walking liberty halves, for example). It's too late to make a long story short but here's my question: How does one decide when a coin should be graded?  Do people have "average" coins graded?  I have always associated grading with more valuable coins or high grade coins.  I'm thinking if I can afford to have a coin graded to satisfy my curiosity then that's reason enough.   I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.  

Welcome to coin collecting ! First thing to do is learn how to grade coins buy books or study online at graded coins . Secondly look online see if your coins are “common date” coins most coins are common. Third , depends on how many coins you want to send for grading ? Grading isn’t cheap when you add it all up + shipping + insurance to ship Thats (both ways to the grading company and back). Those are some of things you need think about , perhaps you might be able to sell your common coins , save up a little more money and just buy the same coins already slabbed/graded from a dealer . I see a lot common coins are in graded holders already there no need for me to buy them raw and go through hassle shipping them to grading company ...

However I myself collect old old world coins sometimes I do buy them raw when I get about 10-12 raw coins I’ll send them in for grading . Usually it’s only for coins that are valued over $100 I feel they should be in graded holders. That’s just me , I even have Raw gold coins that look nice but I won’t send them in grading just because it’s gold means nothing to me other than precious metal . I also have a lot raw silver bullion from around world as well, I’ve see some people had them graded then try sell them Online for a wacky high price just because it was graded and slabbed doesn’t mean anyone buying it so sometimes a lot coins aren’t just worth grading . But there that’s old saying “to each their own, do as they please for themselves” it’s your money do what you want to do 

Edited by Jason Abshier

Rule of thumb, if the coin has a value of $100 or more or has significant family value, or if it is a highly collectible variety then it is worth the cost of grading. Grading will cost upwards of $60 including shipping both ways (25) for return shipping plus (5) for original card container return. So there is submission tier cost 15-30 and special labeling fees, conservancy fees etc. if you are doing it for collecting purposes only, it’s a personal choice. Keep in mind it takes 4-6 weeks after NGC receives the item. Research each Coin on NGC coin explorer and NGC census. 
welcome to numismatics. Enjoy your hobby and good luck. You can always post clear pictures of obverse and reverse of each coin here for very professional opinions.

2 hours ago, LLC0669 said:

I don't have a lot of money for collecting

When I was younger and my kids were little I barely had any money for collecting those kids literally sucked the life out of me, I was working 2 full time jobs as well . I used save up little money each month at end of year around Christmas time I would buy myself a few coins. Now a days the kids are all grown up and moved out of the house I have freedom to buy coins on monthly basic . I often said “collecting isn’t about how much money you have , it’s about the love and passion for collecting” these days everyone new joining the hobby thinking they have buy expensive coins to be part of the hobby it’s not about that .

Thank you all for your replies and your insights.  Unless my financial position changes (i.e. win the lottery 😂) I'll likely never have a super valuable collection of coins but the hobby brings me enjoyment.  I guess one reason I've thought about getting a few graded is that it might help me be more educated about what I'm seeing.  I read and look at pictures and research coins but I don't really know enough to trust that I can see the difference between a G, VG, VF, etc.  I'm learning what to look for but often I buy a coin because it appeals to me and it fills a hole in my collection.  Did I overpay?  Sometimes...probably.  Yes.  So...maybe I'll take the suggestion from Mr.Bill347 and post some pics and see what you all think.  I wasn't sure if that would be ok and I don't want to be "that person".  😬 Not sure if it's better to start a separate thread or post pics here so I'll start here for continuity's sake.  These are the best pics I could manage of this 1829 half.  It was advertised as VF but I don't think that's the case.  

0605210628~2.jpg

0605210631~2.jpg

Edited by LLC0669
added info about grade

The front of the coin looks “Very Fine” , but the back of the coin is worn down more looks “very good” or “good”  2 different grades on that coin if you look at it that way but eagle is pretty worn down to the shield 

Edited by Jason Abshier

1 hour ago, JKK said:

It's a lifetime of learning, though, so it can stimulate your mind for the rest of your days.

For me, collecting really is a fascination with the history and a desire to learn so I appreciate this comment.  Thank you for your thoughts.

1 hour ago, LLC0669 said:

For me, collecting really is a fascination with the history and a desire to learn so I appreciate this comment.  Thank you for your thoughts.

You're welcome. You will find that there are many, many ways and styles of collecting. The only thing wrong with that is those who insist that their style/way is the only correct one and that all others are pointless. There are many ways and styles I do not understand, and/or that differ radically from the mainstream, and I'm welcome to that opinion, but I have no moral right to castigate them any more than they have to shower open disdain on my way. That's why grading, authentication, and alteration detection make such good starting points. Everyone needs those in order to obtain good collecting value for his or her money. Armed with good understanding in those areas, you'll do well at any style that appeals to you. You'll make mistakes (I call them "tuition") and that's okay. It's how we learn.

Other good areas are the mechanics of minting, a bit of metallurgy and chemistry (lot of overlap there, naturally), and of course the historical interest that brought you to the hobby. My own interest in ancients began when my Roman history professor brought in some of his early Imperial stuff and taught us how to read the inscriptions. Your interests may also evolve. As a child, I collected only US coins; as a multilingual adult with a background in history, I gravitated more toward world and ancient coins. Sometimes it lands on you, like when I bought an estate collection of Afghan/Indian stuff including Mauryan punchmark pieces, jitals, Indo-Greek, Kushan, and various Afghan/Moghul issues. It helped to read the Arabic alphabet, and to be willing to learn to make out Devanagari, but those are the sorts of things that promote new interest and deep dives. They can be learned. That learning is part of the fun and growth. For me, it is the intangible reward.

You're here for the right reasons and I think you will find it as rewarding as most of us here do. But "rewarding" is subjective and personal. Only you have the right to define it for yourself. My advice is to ignore anyone who tries to superimpose his (I've never seen a woman do this) concept of "rewarding" on you.

Edited by JKK

4 hours ago, Woods020 said:

It may just be my phone screen resolution, but does the color look off to anyone else? I know it’s partially lighting but it looks almost copper on my screen. 

It looks copper on my PC also:whatthe: could be the lighting

Edited by J P Mashoke

33 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

It looks copper on my PC also:whatthe: could be the lighting

I believe it is the lighting.  The coin actually appears more gray on the background while the raised areas have a brownish tone.  I'm not sure what that means or if it's "odd".  I took another set of pics in hopefully better light to better represent the color. 

0605212026~2.jpg

0605212030~2.jpg