• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just won a 1998S quarter proof die crack.
3 3

28 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Looks more like a planchet crack than a die crack to me. 

Agreed.

25 minutes ago, Oldhoopster said:

I think it's raised, therefore a die crack.  The lighting seems to give the illusion that it's recessed.  Just my thoughts

That would be correct..

It seems to extend into the rim which would excluded any but a catastrophic crack. Further, cracks in die metal follow crystal boundaries which are not long straight lines, and are rarely radial....this looks straight from the photo. Cracks in planchets are often nearly straight because they have not been subjected to the same kinds of stress forces as die steel.

A really clear, sharp photo of the defect would help.

Edited by RWB

3 hours ago, RWB said:

It seems to extend into the rim which would excluded any but a catastrophic crack. Further, cracks in die metal follow crystal boundaries which are not long straight lines, and are rarely radial....this looks straight from the photo. Cracks in planchets are often nearly straight because they have not been subjected to the same kinds of stress forces as die steel.

A really clear, sharp photo of the defect would help.

I like your term rarely. :)

21 minutes ago, 1946Hamm said:

Errorists; I bet you don,t have one of these. From a silver proof set.1703849712_DieCrackedProofNickelObv_Big.thumb.jpg.751cb03232b08bb2ff232e57f05c3983.jpg

“From”, or “still in”?

3 hours ago, 1946Hamm said:

Still in.

1998-S Silver proof.jpg

Man you are right. That's a spiked head. Also a 1998S.. How many of those do you have? I do have two other newer proof Nickle Spiked Heads though.. 

4 hours ago, 1946Hamm said:

Back in 1998 I ordered two from the mint as I usually do and they both had the cracked nickel in them. Both are still in OGP.

I'd trade one of mine for one of yours so we can both build our collections if interested???

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

It’s not “nickle

I had an nickle once but he passed away.  Here in Pennsylvania we believe  :pullhair:

1 minute ago, Alex in PA. said:

I had an nickle once but he passed away.  Here in Pennsylvania we believe  :pullhair:

I’m afraid to ask my new neighbors here how they’d pronounce any of it. 

[A weird mix of metaphors and non sequiturs... planchet cracks vs die cracks. I dub thee, a Frisco quarter, a fault line which resulted from the Loma Prieta earthquake aftershock of 1968.

Moving right along...

9 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[A weird mix of metaphors and non sequiturs... planchet cracks vs die cracks. I dub thee, a Frisco quarter, a fault line which resulted from the Loma Prieta earthquake aftershock of 1968.

Moving right along...

You have one?? :)

On 6/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s not “nickle”, it’s “pickel”. :insane:

[Sidebar:  I no longer remember to whom this was attributed but when President Nixon was reportedly asked his choice to become Secretary of the Interior, he supposedly responded, "Any hick'll do," and that, according to legend, was how the former governor of Alaska, Wally Hickel, became part of the Cabinet...  There are two members who misspell "nickel" but to each his own, and to whom it may concern, the correct spelling is "fluorescent".]

On 6/24/2021 at 8:12 AM, Errorists said:

You have one?? :)

No, I am just the resident Roostermeister 🐓 🐓 🐓