• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on ANA Numismatic Diploma Program?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I'm not sure if I ever got the diploma, but I found the letter of completion from early 1997.  I enjoyed the course, but never got around to taking others.

IMG_20200519_065647_kindlephoto-199894831.jpg

Wow, so cool.  I'm curious, has that certificate been helpful for you, or coins are rather hobby for you, not a profession?

On 5/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, Woods020 said:

I am continuously looking for ways to expand my numismatics brainpower, and aside from simply reading everything I can find and looking at coins until my eyes cross to apply what I read, there isn’t a well structured learning pathway that I have seen. I stumbled across the ANA diploma program and was curious what others thought? Has anyone completed it and if so what was your experience? I’m a bit cynical and wonder if much is actually learned, but I’ll withhold judgement until I hear real experiences. 

Here is the program I am referencing if you aren’t aware:

https://www.money.org/uploads/ANA Diploma Program 2020.pdf

I've never heard about that diploma program. After my college graduation I want to focus on my hobby more, and complete some courses. Now I have time only to read something intreresting

The ENTIRE set of courses is available through correspondence courses. The only thing that must be done “proctored” is the comprehensive exam after completion of the courses. Most local libraries and schools can provide this proctoring service. 

On 7/20/2022 at 9:33 AM, SamuelBraswell said:

Wow, so cool.  I'm curious, has that certificate been helpful for you, or coins are rather hobby for you, not a profession?

I've never heard about that diploma program. After my college graduation I want to focus on my hobby more, and complete some courses. Now I have time only to read something intreresting

I found the course useful and interesting.  I knew a lot of the material, so it was more of a reinforcement rather than learning new things  but I also believe that you need to stay on top of your knowledge so you don't forget the info.  If I recall correctly, the info was geared more towards the intermediate/advanced collector.  Definitely not newbie stuff

On 7/20/2022 at 10:53 AM, Oldhoopster said:

I found the course useful and interesting.  I knew a lot of the material, so it was more of a reinforcement rather than learning new things  but I also believe that you need to stay on top of your knowledge so you don't forget the info.  If I recall correctly, the info was geared more towards the intermediate/advanced collector.  Definitely not newbie stuff

Yes, intermediate focus, for sure. Dabble a little first, before jumping in. 

On 7/20/2022 at 11:54 AM, VKurtB said:

Yes, intermediate focus, for sure. Dabble a little first, before jumping in. 

...does that apply to marriage as well?....

On 7/20/2022 at 11:22 AM, zadok said:

...does that apply to marriage as well?....

Oh heck yeah. Still no guarantee, though. Letcha in on a little secret - they’re changelings. Pass it on. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/20/2022 at 12:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Oh heck yeah. Still no guarantee, though. Letcha in on a little secret - they’re changelings. Pass it on. 

...like on DS9, gotcha...im thinking more like joining DA (dabble anonymous)...lower risk threshold....

[I wish I were able to make a significant contribution to the body of knowledge as rapidly unfolding here but I am not unlike a Wallenda traversing a tightrope. One misstep, mat be my last.]

On 7/20/2022 at 2:06 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I wish I were able to make a significant contribution to the body of knowledge as rapidly unfolding here but I am not unlike a Wallenda traversing a tightrope. One misstep, mat be my last.]

...just make sure u have a very very long pole....