• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on ANA Numismatic Diploma Program?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

I am continuously looking for ways to expand my numismatics brainpower, and aside from simply reading everything I can find and looking at coins until my eyes cross to apply what I read, there isn’t a well structured learning pathway that I have seen. I stumbled across the ANA diploma program and was curious what others thought? Has anyone completed it and if so what was your experience? I’m a bit cynical and wonder if much is actually learned, but I’ll withhold judgement until I hear real experiences. 

Here is the program I am referencing if you aren’t aware:

https://www.money.org/uploads/ANA Diploma Program 2020.pdf

Much depends on what you expect to learn from the program, and how you intend to apply the new information. Many of the ANA's programs are presented by some of the best numismatists and coin dealers around - but few are very good teachers, and that is a considerable impediment to effective learning.

Edited by RWB

2 hours ago, RWB said:

Much depends on what you expect to learn from the program, and how you intend to apply the new information. May of the ANA's programs are presented by some of the best numismatists and coin dealer around - but few are very good teachers, and that is a considerable impediment to effective learning.

Well, that explains why I failed statistics -- SIX times, with every Incomplete [INC] defaulting to an F.  As the old saying goes, there are three kinds of lies:  lies, damned lies and statistics.

Wonder if this is a fairly new program. I believe I heard about it last year, but do not know anyone that is enrolled in it. Could be interesting.

No offense to those who may be interested, but at age 70 I am a little too old to apply any knowledge that may be gleaned from this in a productive, meaningful way.

On 5/27/2021 at 10:27 AM, Zebo said:

It has been around for literally decades. I have promotional stuff on the ANA diploma program that dates to 1994. What’s different is better marketing for it. That plus it used to be done ENTIRELY by mail, no Internet.

Edited by VKurtB

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB Yes, correspondence schools date back to the end of the Pleistocene epoch, but did you graduate and get a diploma?  

I never sought the diploma per se. I did take three of the ANA courses separately, all in the 90’s. What I have not EVER DONE is seek any information on coins from an Internet based video, especially YouTube.

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

I never sought the diploma per se. I did take three of the ANA courses separately, all in the 90’s. What I have not EVER DONE is seek any information on coins from an Internet based video, especially YouTube.

ANA has a lot of great videos on line as well Kurt 😁. The internet isn’t a complete evil. It’s being able to sort through the 95% to find the 5% reputable information. 

I am signed up for a seminar tomorrow with ANA that is an online teleconference. Not a video by any means but it requires the internet hahaha. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

As a sidebar story, my book History of the U. S. Mint and Its Coinage was commissioned of me in the mid 1990s to be an ANA correspondence course. When Education Director James Taylor resigned after being passed over for Executive Director, the whole project was buried for several years. Gail Baker eventually replaced him, found my manuscript and asked if I could update and expand it into a book for publication. This was done, and it was about to be published by the ANA when the then-Executive Director Christopher Cipoletti fired nearly everyone involved. He then handed the fully laid-out book over to Whitman for publication. The final product had long since lost its extensive citations, quoted documents, etc. to simplify it for a general readership. The whole project ended up lasting through ten years of many highs and lows.

Ah, yes.... the old "Cipoletti off the Ol'e Blockhead."

Mr. Lange -- Did ANA or Whitman pay for your work or was that "lost" too? Are you going to prepare an updated version?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

From the outset my work on this project was a gift to the ANA. I never sought nor expected any compensation. Needless to say, it's become my best selling book! doh!

I don't anticipate a second edition. The "Bowers" series of Red Book volumes have become Whitman's brand for all or most of its books in recent years.

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

From the outset my work on this project was a gift to the ANA. I never sought nor expected any compensation. Needless to say, it's become my best selling book! doh!

I don't anticipate a second edition. The "Bowers" series of Red Book volumes have become Whitman's brand for all or most of its books in recent years.

But none of those is structured as a teaching course, are they? By the way, the whole Cipoletti thing is why personalities should NEVER BE ALLOWED at the ANA to become important. It should never again be about an individual, only the mission. We lost sight of that during the current administration under The Colonel. Thank gawd COVID intervened to prevent his becoming even more of a tyrant.

”Oh the times, they are a-changing.”

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, Woods020 said:

I am continuously looking for ways to expand my numismatics brainpower, and aside from simply reading everything I can find and looking at coins until my eyes cross to apply what I read, there isn’t a well structured learning pathway that I have seen. I stumbled across the ANA diploma program and was curious what others thought? Has anyone completed it and if so what was your experience? I’m a bit cynical and wonder if much is actually learned, but I’ll withhold judgement until I hear real experiences. 

Here is the program I am referencing if you aren’t aware:

https://www.money.org/uploads/ANA Diploma Program 2020.pdf

Wow, I didn't know there was a Numismatic Diploma Program. Now I want to get to know this area better. And a big thanks for sharing a link to the program. I first learned about numismatics with an essay that I ordered on the PapersOwl service, in this essay it was about monetary relations through a historical prism. Then I studied in detail the history, types of funds, motets, etc. It's good that at that time I found this great service review and learned so much that it gave me a new course of development.

Wow, I didn't know there was a Numismatic Diploma Program. Now I want to get to know this area better. And a big thanks for sharing a link to the program.

Edited by clarajenkins

On 7/1/2021 at 1:23 PM, clarajenkins said:

Wow, I didn't know there was a Numismatic Diploma Program. Now I want to get to know this area better. And a big thanks for sharing a link to the program.

Clara...Did I buy a Beautiful Color Toned Wash-Carver Comm, in North Carolina from you in 2015-2016...CAC Sticker, High Grade?

Also, I spoke with Sam Gelberd at the ANA Colorado, (through E-mail), a few weeks ago...he was coordinating that Program, mails the materials and so forth out, I think the Fee was around $400 but I was in contact over Donations on another issue with someone else, he responds very quickly and painless.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:32 PM, Dylalliams said:

Hello everyone. I'm taking the courses now. I'm on the last one. I've decided not to take the big overview test. That is a separate option one can take advantage of or not. This is just for my education. I would recommend them to everyone. They are very informative. You will learn a lot. I also recommend that you take advantage of the mentor option. You will have questions. At least I did. Your assigned mentor definitely helps. The only negative things I have to say about the courses is some of the questions are pretty confusing. Much like a DMV test. They are all open book so you want to do well. Also it is a little dated in that it barely mentions the internet for options in different things. You'll see. Also the Summer Seminar is a perfect complement to whatever subject matter you want to concentrate on., I did it this year and am very happy I did it. I think anyone thinking about taking the courses will be happy they do it! Plus a couple of the courses come with DVD's. That is a big help! Just my opinion. I could be wrong. The ANA staff is VERY helpful!

Welcome to the forum!   Good to hear that you are happy with the courses and feel that you gained knowledge from them.  :)

Edited by Coinbuf

On 7/2/2022 at 7:25 AM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum!   Good to hear that you are happy with the courses and feel that you gained knowledge form them.  :)

Thank you!

Thanks for likes guys! <3

Edited by Dylalliams

[What a difference a year makes. With the market for 20-franc gold roosters all but dried up, and my "wordsmithing" tiresome to at least one member, this diploma program has rekindled my interest in a hobby I have followed for 60 years. I was collecting off-and-on since Marilyn Monroe's death in 1962. The very last time I went back to school, a sharp-eyed Registrar discovered I had been attending off-and-on for nine years and had accumulated roughly 160 credits, well more than the 128 needed to graduate. She barred me from enrolling and told me curtly, "Come back in June to pick up your diploma." I did as I was told but, all kidding and ribbing aside, I never lost my love of learning. So this diploma program poses the right kind of challenge for me and is right up my alley. While I am no longer able to recite the entire Periodic Chart of Elements, in staccato fashion from memory, I do believe I can tackle this endeavor with ease.  My thanks to @Dylalliams for reviving this thread!]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: closing bracket.

On 7/2/2022 at 4:00 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[What a difference a year makes. With the market for 20-franc gold roosters all but dried up, and my "wordsmithing" tiresome to at least one member, this diploma program has rekindled my interest in a hobby I have followed for 60 years. I was collecting off-and-on since Marilyn Monroe's death in 1962. The very last time I went back to school, a sharp-eyed Registrar discovered I had been attending off-and-on for nine years and had accumulated roughly 160 credits, well more than the 128 needed to graduate. She barred me from enrolling and told me curtly, "Come back in June to pick up your diploma." I did as I was told but, all kidding and ribbing aside, I never lost my love of learning. So this diploma program poses the right kind of challenge for me and is right up my alley. While I am no longer able to recite the entire Periodic Chart of Elements, in staccato fashion from memory, I do believe I can tackle this endeavor with ease.  My thanks to @Dylalliams for reviving this thread!

...wheres the other bracket?...dont start something n not finis it...i was worried there for a minute i thought u were going to say u too tried on MM's dress...i guess u n Johnny Cash could sing the periodic table blues together...anyway have a safe 4th...not sure bout thread reviving, sometimes tends to unravel....

@zadok:  I have furnished the closing bracket. Enquiring minds like mine want to know if you, a gentleman of few words, would be able to survive these chat board jousts without the availability of the Sad or Confused options?  😉 

On 7/2/2022 at 5:18 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@zadok:  I have furnished the closing bracket. Enquiring minds like mine want to know if you, a gentleman of few words, would be able to survive these chat board jousts without the availability of the Sad or Confused options?  😉 

... i keep hoping that the moderators would add a vomit emoji, but so far to no avail...

Edited by zadok
spelling

Now that I have found that my latest healthcare crisis has apparently caused my wife to emulate my recovery mode (doesn’t feel like doing squat), after I get back from Orlando this week, I’m going to “hit the diploma program HARD”. This means more live courses at shows and next year’s Summer Seminar at Colorado Springs. Maybe I’ll make some time to drop in and see Dan Carr to send Roger’s best wishes. 

On 7/3/2022 at 7:34 PM, VKurtB said:

Now that I have found that my latest healthcare crisis has apparently caused my wife to emulate my recovery mode (doesn’t feel like doing squat), after I get back from Orlando this week, I’m going to “hit the diploma program HARD”. This means more live courses at shows and next year’s Summer Seminar at Colorado Springs. Maybe I’ll make some time to drop in and see Dan Carr to send Roger’s best wishes. 

Additional correspondence courses would be a nice addition for those who cannot, or do not feel like attending summer seminars or distant coin shows. Just a thought.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, Zebo said:

Additional correspondence courses would be a nice addition for those who cannot, or do not feel like attending summer seminars or distant coin shows. Just a thought.

The vast majority of courses are available as correspondence courses, and they ALL used to be. I seem to remember that as of the mid-20-teens, not all are offered that way anymore. I could be wrong. Some courses are offered at regional shows below national level. One is being offered at a South Carolina show.