• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Morgan Dollars
1 1

194 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2021 at 11:29 PM, VKurtB said:

If you’re serious, we can arrange details by PM when they ship. I think the CC will remain popular and perhaps earn you a higher premium, but that’s not what interests me.  My son will be living in Denver, … PENNSYLVANIA. 

PM sent.

After having such an easy time for the D & S Morgan’s, what a mess today. I thought my order went through, but apparently it did not. My Peace Dollar order finally went through - we’ll see if I receive a confirmation on it as it was a bit late in coming.  Hopefully it went through because I only really wanted the Peace dollar. Maybe I’ll trade a D or S for today’s Morgan offering.

That was a game I did not enjoy!  But at least it's over (assuming they don't continue the "series," which I hope they don't).

I don't suppose there really is much the Mint can do about the inability of their servers to handle the traffic, given that their present set-up is fine for 99.9+% of their needs (well, other than price their products, or make them in a quantity, so that they don't sell out in under a half hour), but it isn't any fun playing that game (you know, sign on, place the order; get kicked off, rinse, repeat, endlessly, until it magically works, or the product sells out).

Edited by 124Spider

I at least have to give credit to the Mint. They keep changing their error messages for each sale to keep your frustration fresh. The page you are looking for cannot be found error was new to me. The confirm you are a human by pressing and holding the button was confusing. There was no button on most of those pages. Got two pages with buttons, but no matter how long I pressed it, it never stopped. Finally got one that worked.

Finally got confirmed that I got both coins at the 19 minute mark.

Now we can do it all again for the S-mint SAE on Thursday. :devil:

I managed to snag a Morgan and a Peace today while working at the ANA show. By the website, ‘cuz the Mint, she no be here. 11:12 CDT.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/10/2021 at 1:52 PM, VKurtB said:

I managed to snag a Morgan and a Peace today while working at the ANA show. By the website, ‘cuz the Mint, she no be here. 11:12 CDT.

Ain' NO-body gon' beat dat! 

Me too. Apparently they didn’t have such a bottleneck this time. Glad to get one just the same. Vkurtb I didn’t think you liked them . Glad we got through the turmoil. On don’t know whether they fixed their server issues or if the demands were just lower this time. Laughed because literally minutes after they went on sale, EBay lit up with sellers trying to get $300

Looks like I purchased both after all. Two separate acknowledgments. We’ll see once the conformations start rolling out.

Anyone try and not get one?

On 8/10/2021 at 3:28 PM, Zebo said:

Anyone try and not get one?

[With all due respect, this is where the "Oxford" comma comes in handy:

"Anyone try, and not get one?"

Otherwise, the mischievous part of me will respond, in kind:  

Yeah, me.  I deliberately tried not to get one, refused to place an order, and miracle of miracles, succeeded beyond my wildest dreams!  I most assuredly will not get one.

Re the importance of punctuation, generally, and the comma, particularly.

@VKurtB As you can see, I am making good use of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves."  (The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation)]-_- 🐓

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Capitalization

Ya I had 6 in my cart 3 of the 2021 Morgan's and 3 of the 2021 Peace dollars.. clicked on place order 7 times.. cannot access this page came up each time.. then finally it showed a red warning that there is something wrong with your order.. ya the coins are no longer available.. sent email to U.S. Mint Customer service and asked them to honor my purchase.. is totally criminal to have items in your cart all payment methods in..and the mint takes the coins away from you.. if the Mint does not honor my order.. I am all done buying any  thing from the Mint.. 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:05 PM, Rodent said:

Ya I had 6 in my cart 3 of the 2021 Morgan's and 3 of the 2021 Peace dollars.. clicked on place order 7 times.. cannot access this page came up each time.. then finally it showed a red warning that there is something wrong with your order.. ya the coins are no longer available.. sent email to U.S. Mint Customer service and asked them to honor my purchase.. is totally criminal to have items in your cart all payment methods in..and the mint takes the coins away from you.. if the Mint does not honor my order.. I am all done buying any  thing from the Mint.. 

They won't honor your order because you didn't actually place an order. You tried to place an order, but never succeeded. They don't have enough coins to honor all the intended orders. 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:05 PM, Rodent said:

It is certainly reasonable to respond to this mess by not playing their game when they have a hyped product to sell, and you suspect that the item will be too popular (I, for instance, will not be playing when the market opens for the proof silver eagles, even though they intrigue me; if they're still around later, when I think about it, I may give one effort to buying one). 

And if this experience turns you off to any collecting, then, sure, quit.  But sometimes (especially when dealing with government entities) things just don't go smoothly, and that's life.  I don't enjoy the game, but I wanted the coins without having to pay the markup on the secondary market, so I played.  It was frustrating.

First world problems, indeed!

From a curiosity standpoint, it will be interesting to see what happens to the prices on the secondary market when the coins actually ship, and a lot more hit the market with people flipping after actually having received their coins.  I suspect that the price will stay above $85, but I suspect that it'll be closer to $100 than to $200 when the dust settles.

Edited by 124Spider

Ordered a couple of the Peace imitations. I don't expect much based on the illustrations - soft and mushy.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Me too. Apparently they didn’t have such a bottleneck this time. Glad to get one just the same. Vkurtb I didn’t think you liked them . Glad we got through the turmoil. On don’t know whether they fixed their server issues or if the demands were just lower this time. Laughed because literally minutes after they went on sale, EBay lit up with sellers trying to get $300

They’re not so much my cuppa tea, but my son loves them, and the standard mortality tables say he’s going to own them longer than I will.

On 8/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, VKurtB said:

They’re not so much my cuppa tea, but my son loves them, and the standard mortality tables say he’s going to own them longer than I will.

Well, that certainly explains your now unequivocal stance on Morgans and why you would stand to benefit, as a buyer if not an investor, from plummeting silver prices.   😉

I also dropped off four PCGS slabs for NGC crossovers, my second time doing that. These are one Morgan, two Franklin’s, and a San Diego Commem half, all gaudy PCGS grades. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/11/2021 at 8:31 AM, VKurtB said:

I also dropped off four PCGS slabs for NGC crossovers, my second time doing that. These are one Morgan, two Franklin’s, and a San Diego Commem half, all gaudy PCGS grades. 

Well, as Baden-Powell once said, Be Prepared.  And in that respect you're certainly a pro.

I think they took a step back from the previous week, as this one was a lot harder with all the error messages and that stupid, please prove you are human button, but I think I ordered them (won't know for sure until October I guess).  As for the regular proof silver eagles, I just put those on subscription, got an order confirmation 4 hours before they went on sale!  Next challenge will be the reverse proof ASE set...doh!

I got lucky to get a Morgan P and a Peace dollar. Can I assume since I received an order confirmation that I will actually get them when they are minted. Oh and I also had a T2 proof Silver Eagle in my cart then the page crashed. Couple minutes later it was still in my cart but said NOT AVAILABLE. when I refreshed my cart was empty. If our military firmware works this poorly we're in deep doodoo.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:06 PM, VKurtB said:

The Taliban will never figure out how to work our left behind stuff.

Don't count on that, there are also a whole lot of Afghan soldiers who were trained on how to use that stuff left there as well.  If the Taliban puts those soldiers knowledge to work rather than just killing them, they WILL be able to work our stuff.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:36 PM, Conder101 said:

Don't count on that, there are also a whole lot of Afghan soldiers who were trained on how to use that stuff left there as well.  If the Taliban puts those soldiers knowledge to work rather than just killing them, they WILL be able to work our stuff.

And, even if they can't figure out how to use everything, imagine how many millions of dollars they can get from folks who can use the stuff - like Iran.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:42 PM, Just Bob said:

And, even if they can't figure out how to use everything, imagine how many millions of dollars they can get from folks who can use the stuff - like Iran.

Same thought I had. They won't let it go to waste. I believe they still have stuff left behind by the Russians.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:42 PM, Just Bob said:

You’re assuming our stuff works. I’m not willing to stipulate to that. 

The advantage on the complicated equipment they acquired is that much of it has to be maintained which means spare parts and knowledge of how to maintain. Once the parts go, so does the equipment, and for things like the Blackhawks I'm sure those the Taliban won't be able to use themselves (You've never flown? Here's a complex helicopter go see what you can do with it)  And even if they do have Afghan military who can use them they probably won't be usable for long, once again due to maintenance needs.  Most of the smaller less complex stuff though they will be able to use and maintain just fine.

On 8/10/2021 at 8:10 PM, RWB said:

Ordered a couple of the Peace imitations. I don't expect much based on the illustrations - soft and mushy.

Respectfully, I would urge you to open the package 📦 with an open mind and no pre-conceived notions. Pity me, I ordered two Morgans, from a third-party who gloated over his $400-plus windfall (and even had the chutzpah to brag he had seven more left.) You win some, you lose some. The Mint lost me as a customer when dinosaurs last roamed the Earth.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:08 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Only with those who cannot afford the 'Real Deal'.    :gossip:

They're currently selling for the same amount that generic date MS64/MS65 CC examples sell for. :gossip:

On 8/26/2021 at 4:18 PM, gmarguli said:

They're currently selling for the same amount that generic date MS64/MS65 CC examples sell for

"There's a sucker born every minute" 

a phrase closely associated with P. T. Barnum, an American showman of the mid-19th century