• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on sovereign variability in dimensions
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I got a batch of A-22 air-tites in today and started putting some gold sovereigns inside, and I noticed that one of them (1911) would not fit into the direct-fit airtite (22mm), it would not lie flat in the circular indentation in the plastic holder. I got a few other comparable sovereigns and they fit fine.

I started thinking that the 1911 was possibly fake because all other sovereigns fit fine in the airtite holder.
I took some measurements as best I could and there's nothing that really sticks out in comparison with the others I measured.

Am I unnecessarily worried about a 110+ year old coin that didn't get struck with the exact right dimensions to make it fit into a plastic holder? Perhaps it's not perfectly circular or flat.
If the coin in question fit in the airtite fine, I would have no reason to consider it as possibly suspect since it passes all my tests (sigma, magnet, dimension weight, ping test, etc).

Year    Diameter    Thickness    Grams    Sigma        Fits in A22 airtite?
1911    22.26mm        1.58mm        8.0        mid - 2        No, won't lie flat inside unless I force it in
1928    22.07mm        1.52mm        8.0        mid - 1        Yes
1903    22.24mm        1.56mm        8.0        mid - 1        Yes