• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAC Education requested
2 2

153 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2022 at 5:05 AM, Cat Bath said:

My guess is a "rare/expensive" saint gets graded about once every 50 years.

Actually, that is not the case.  If you look at say Saints over $10k on well know auction sites like Great Collections and Heritage Auctions that are either for sale now or have been sold in recent years they are almost all in the newer generations of NGC and PCSC slab holders, with just a smattering of older holders (like OGH labels with the CAC stickers as they prolly didn't want to re-submit and maybe loose the marketing gimmicks ;)).

And that makes sense too.  If I had a very rare/expensive coin in an older holder and grading standards had more recently changed, with many coins grading higher with that change which could mean a lot more money for my coin, you are damn straight I would be submitting it to a top TPG for re-grading before I would sell the coin.

On 8/25/2022 at 5:05 AM, Cat Bath said:

50 years from now the "market" won't even care who JA was.

Forget about 50 years, who was JA again? :whistle:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/25/2022 at 5:01 PM, EagleRJO said:

Forget about 50 years, who was JA again? :whistle:

He is the only gentleman in the entire field of numismatics, relying on institutional memory, who can provide me, via one one of several interviews, with ball-park percentages on  precisely what the turn-around times were at the TPGS "in the beginning."  My problem is, too many interviews to wade thru. Not enough time. The information is there; I only have to find it.  (shrug)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: re-wording

On 8/25/2022 at 6:59 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

ball-park percentages on  precisely what the turn-around times were

Hmmm, good thing that "precision" is in the "ball-park", and kind of what I was definitely thinking maybe. 🤔