CAC Education requested
2 2

73 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Cat Bath said:

I have a couple but I despise CAC. The stickers have been removed.

Sticky little buggers :eyeroll:

Somehow I get the feeling you would have tried to pry that Del Monte sticker off that double sawbuck that sold for fifty thousand at auction recently. 😂

What enquirings minds like mine who have a healthy skepticism of errors to begin with want to know is how difficult would it be to repeat this feat using a Chiquita or Del Monte brand sticker and what makes this unremarkable printing 'error" so valuable?

Sad to say but to me it diminishes the value of the banknote and suggests at some point quality control at the Fort Worth facility was not as stringent as it should have been.

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

What enquirings minds like mine who have a healthy skepticism of errors to begin with want to know is how difficult would it be to repeat this feat using a Chiquita or Del Monte brand sticker and what makes this unremarkable printing 'error" so valuable?

Sad to say but to me it diminishes the value of the banknote and suggests at some point quality control at the Fort Worth facility was not as stringent as it should have been. I've seen this topic follow this link exposed by the comparisons and contrasts at the service with the essay samples. If you delve into it, everything becomes much clearer.

I totally agree with you. Many of people understand that.

Edited by BradlyMarks

Posted (edited)

Interesting Comments from JA:  "I would guess that 10-20% of CAC'd XF 40 coins would also sticker as a 45.  In order for a CAC'd XF 40 coin to be awarded a gold sticker , it would have to have claims to AU-50... basically a “48” grade or better.  If I had it my way , there would only be one grade for VG, one for Fine , maybe 2 or 3 for VF and , one for XF. Simplifying and eliminating grades would result in better consistency for collectors as well as grading services."

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/7/2022 at 1:42 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Interesting Comments from JA:  "I would guess that 10-20% of CAC'd XF 40 coins would also sticker as a 45.  In order for a CAC'd XF 40 coin to be awarded a gold sticker , it would have to have claims to AU-50... basically a “48” grade or better.  If I had it my way , there would only be one grade for VG, one for Fine , maybe 2 or 3 for VF and , one for XF. Simplifying and eliminating grades would result in better consistency for collectors as well as grading services."

...when was that comment made?...in a publication or an interview?....

Another interesting quote, one which validates my fears:  "Beware of the AU58+ CAC coins that sell for moon money. My concern is they are being chased up by the Everyman Registry sets which prize this grade point. Should an AU58+ be worth more than an MS63 coin?"

On 6/7/2022 at 1:42 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

He didn't mention AU.  I consider AU-50 to be XF.  There is a noticeable gap with AU58 and sometimes AU-55 and it isn't really "almost uncirculated".

I also assume it wasn't a coincidence he didn't mention MS grades.  The price differences between circulated grades are narrower than between one point MS increments, not always proportionately but in amount.

If it were up to me, I'd go back to four MS grades as I first remember in the late 70's: 60, 63, 65, 67.  I'd also get rid of the Sheldon scale for series that I think would be better using the one used for NGC Ancients, strike, wear and surfaces.  In US coinage, that would be colonials and territorial gold.