• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Um??? Die Error???

13 posts in this topic

This looks more like a DDO than a MAD. I simply can't imagine this is worth just face value. I am considering having it authenticated by NGC and save it for the future, should more come about and it gets accepted as a DDO or other currently unknown error. I would rather have it graded and preserved than put in a 2x2 or generic capsule and have it tone or fade over time. 

The full coin photo suggests the coin was struck from a collapsed obverse die. This occurs where the die is improperly hardened and tempered. Part of the die is weaker than the rest and partially collapses (sinks) in relation to the rest of the die. This is very unusual for a modern die (2015).

Does the metal just inside LIBERTY slope down or up toward FDR?

Not sure about value - it is a collectible error - but don't know if the cost of authentication is worth the expense.

Edited by RWB

On 3/24/2021 at 6:02 PM, pancakez1981 said:

This looks more like a DDO than a MAD. I simply can't imagine this is worth just face value. I am considering having it authenticated by NGC and save it for the future, should more come about and it gets accepted as a DDO or other currently unknown error. I would rather have it graded and preserved than put in a 2x2 or generic capsule and have it tone or fade over time. 

Following. 

The MAD is not significant enough to be recognized and not a DDO. I like RWB & Conder101's comments, severely deteriorated collapsed obv die. Whether or not it is a collapsed die and if a TPG will agree and label it as such (shrug). If it is authenticated as a collapsed die it maybe worth the cost of authentication.

So is the metal just inside LIBERTY raised, incuse or on the same plane?.

Update. After sitting in their vault for several weeks due to the pandemic backlog, NGC has sent the dime and another coin of mine off to the grading process. Anyone want to venture a guess on what NGC will decide on the anomalies? DDO? MAD? Collapsed dies?

unknown.png?width=1440&height=244

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Conder101 provided the best answer. It's an extreme case of die erosion in which the die face is not only drawn outward, but the underlying metal is sinking, as RWB suggested.

If you're going to submit to NGC, mark it for Mint Error service, not for VarietyPlus. I won't guarantee that the error attributor will label it as anything noteworthy, since die erosion is not especially rare or interesting.

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

Conder101 provided the best answer. It's an extreme case of die erosion in which the die face is not only drawn outward, but the underlying metal is sinking, as RWB suggested.

If you're going to submit to NGC, mark it for Mint Error service, not for VarietyPlus. I won't guarantee that the error attributor will label it as anything noteworthy, since die erosion is not especially rare or interesting.

If you look a couple of posts up the op says the coin is already at NGC in the grading process.