• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Challenge Coins
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Did a search and didn't find this topic. I for sure didn't want to go thru 100 + pages to find one.

I retired from the United States Navy in 1996.  I found this piece and wanted to share. Post yours if you have one.  :)

And yes, I did cross into the Artic Circle on an Aircraft Carrier and do have this card.

Blue Nose Card.png

VSWA282C-US-NAVY-Bluenose-Realm-of-the-Arctic-Circle-Coin-NC-Site  Combo.png

Edited by leeg

So it's like the shellback thing. I wonder if there's also one for the Antarctic Circle. I assume they do some humane/high-survival equivalent of dunking you in the frigid water.

...not legal tender, privately issued fun notes....high quality n interesting, comes in several series n denominations, collectible n usually sell for slight premiums...

They are interesting medals and scrip. "Challenge coin" is a convenient, if inaccurate, alliteration.

challenge coin is accurate terminology n not merely an alliteration....mostly used in military organizations but also in some civilian fraternal n social organizations...

4 hours ago, zadok said:

challenge coin is accurate terminology n not merely an alliteration....mostly used in military organizations but also in some civilian fraternal n social organizations...

I was never in the military, but from what I have been told, you are correct. Although the most common use is collecting and/or exchanging, they are still used to "challenge" other current or former service members, according to an ex-Air Force buddy. If someone pulls out their coin and challenges another, the one who is challenged must produce their own coin, or buy the next round of drinks. This practice apparently dates back to WWI.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

This practice apparently dates back to WWI

But back in WWII they used short snorters instead of challenge coins.  Some claim the practice dates back to the first world war but I have my doubts.

Edited by Conder101

most military lore attributes the challenge coins back to WW1 but not verified, there is credible evidence of usage during WW2, korean war n vietnam war.....there r  stories of similar coin usage among military members as far back as roman era, but not in the same sense as challenging more of an award or recognition of valor etc....the short snorters usually were mementos of shared experiences as opposed to being used as member challenges, aircrew members, submarine members, tank crew members etc exchanged currency notes signed by all as mementos of their serving together or sharing a military experience....some short snorters have brought high dollar amounts at auctions depending on whose signatures were involved n the military experience...i recall hearing one from dolittle's raid brought a significant amount at auction, presidential short snorters usually do well....im sure if an enola gay note showed up it would do the same, i once saw one from the yalta conference that wasnt for sale....common ones with no historical signatures routinely sell in the $50 range....

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I was never in the military, but from what I have been told, you are correct. Although the most common use is collecting and/or exchanging, they are still used to "challenge" other current or former service members, according to an ex-Air Force buddy. If someone pulls out their coin and challenges another, the one who is challenged must produce their own coin, or buy the next round of drinks. This practice apparently dates back to WWI.

Yup. I had to have this explained to me by a former-coworker that was a volunteer fire-fighter that had 2 or 3. He spoke of them and the subject with a fair degree of reverence.

He kept trying to convince the director of our very small engineering company that we should make a limited run of them for our company. What the point of those would be or why anyone would make a challenge over claiming to have once been a part of our company was always a mystery to me. But he was a sales guy and I think he, in addition to other things, really wanted another coin in his collection and really liked spending company money instead of his own. 🤣

1 hour ago, zadok said:

....i once saw one from the yalta conference that wasnt for sale...

[My mom, deceased, was born in Yalta, U.S.S.R.  When she became an American citizen, the (INS) issued her a certificate indicating her date of birth as February 31, 1921. I have no idea as to the source of the information the government relied on in making that determination but challenge anyone to produce a more bizarre official government document.]